Did playtime go too far? Or is this something more serious I should be worried about?

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Cat-siters

My two kittens Uno (white), and Bandit (tuxedo) are roughly the same age (6 months)

Uno was a single kitten till 1 June when we got bandit. Introductions went fairly well apart from some hissing, and they eventually bonded quite well - Uno began to groom bandit, and they started sharing food bowls (!?!?). They play A LOT given all the kitten energy they have to burn, which is great. It’s all been going well….. until…..
This morning, when I suddenly notice a small cut on Uno’s ear (pictured). They were playing as usual, running about and fighting each other. I assumed it was all good* till I saw the cut.
*No hissing, howls/screeching, and they seemed to be taking turns chasing

Uno doesn’t seem to be in any pain, in fact he was all for continuing to fight bandit. I’ve separated them for the moment - it’s time for them to sleep anyway.

Questions:

1. Does this kind of thing happen with kittens whose play just goes a tad too far sometimes? Am I worrying too much or is this a sign that the fighting could get worse?
  2. Do I need to go to the vet? I’ve cleaned the wound and it’s not really a huge one, and I don’t want to make the vet trip again (we JUST went in for a bout of feline flu 2 days ago) unless needed. DBBCC35E-D139-4ECA-BC47-8A8A75D2BC28.jpeg F2A73E38-9DF2-42CA-A858-B50B44AD638B.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes play does get a bit rough. Of course kitties come to play armed with sharp claws and teeth but may not mean to cause damage. You can usually tell if they actually get mad and are really fighting. Things start getting louder or more frantic with someone hollering or running for cover. If someone gets a nip they may nip back harder to teach each other that it hurts. Some is a learning experience and teaches fair fighting and manners. House rules. I can never say , don’t take your cat to a vet. I can say that doesn’t look too bad to me as long as it doesn’t get infected, keep bleeding or cause pain. Keep it clean and you can always send a text or email photo to your vet for advice before calling to check with them. You said you had a feline flu? If someone has been sick, the playing may be a bit elevated since someone is feeling a bit off. That changed it from being as much fun to a kitty being cranky or maybe pushed to interactive play when they would rather be playing quietly with a toy. Maybe a couple of new mice toys for the moment if one has been sick? I wouldn’t panic over the active play unless it escalates. One boo boo is not a real fight. It happens sometimes. You are a great kitty guardian to be concerned. Time out in separate spaces can cool things down so it sounds like you have everything in control for them. Poor pretty little ear though! Ahhh, love the little face but, love to see more! ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the reassurance Jcatbird Jcatbird

I do think they were playing ...because neither of them so much as hissed, let alone holler or run for cover.

If someone has been sick, the playing may be a bit elevated since someone is feeling a bit off. That changed it from being as much fun to a kitty being cranky or maybe pushed to interactive play when they would rather be playing quietly with a toy.
This is a good point. I think Uno has been lower on energy because of the flu and bandit is super high energy as usual, and not getting why Uno isn't as into play these last two days. Quite likely Uno was getting cranky and it escalated. I also noticed that Uno's fast asleep, within minutes of me separating them, while I hear bandit meowing in his room occasionally (in protest I'm sure!). I'm going to let them chill out for a few hours and get some sleep. They usually sleep by 10-ish but were causing this mayhem at 11:15 AM so .... it's past bedtime (mommy mode!!)

Here's some pix of both - they are both rescues from the streets. I found Uno alone (and sick) in January, and Bandit's foster mom found him in her parking lot with his kitty mom who eventually abandoned him on getting pregnant again (she's been spayed since). I LOVE them both to bits.

Attachments

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as he's not running and hiding from the other Cat it's all good, small injuries like that happen during play occasionally. As has been mentioned just keep an eye on his ear to make sure it's not getting infected.