Did My Cat Poison Herself?

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I'm just noticing now that my cat opened a cabinet door yesterday and chewed through the Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw bag and ate the remainder (about a cup and a half.) I read a post earlier that said you should never feed it to them dry because the phosphorous is extremely high and that was only one piece that was referred to.

I called my vet and he said if she's acting normal I shouldn't be worried. But I am. And knowing how little vet's know about nutrition I'm even more worried.

Please let me know if I'm overreacting or if I should bring her to the hospital?

I'm frantic right now.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think the one time would hurt her. The main thing i would watch for is constipation with that much freeze dried at once. Maybe try to get as much water or liquids in her as possible over the next few days?

Of course if she doesn't seem to be going to the litter box like normal, or acts funny then i would take her in to see the vet. Otherwise i don't think i would worry to much. But my moto is if i am worried, a vet visit doesn't hurt :) Best of luck.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it. At worst, your cat might have a bit of constipation because dry freeze dried raw will absorb moisture from inside the body. It's basically like a sponge in the stomach. Keep your cat well hydrated with canned food with extra water for the next day or two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I literally just watched her poop. And I know she's been urinating. She doesn't like to drink so I'm going to make her canned food soup for the next week. I would go to the vet but he already said if she's acting normally not to worry. The only thing I guess he could do is blood work.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, good, --but yeah, wet food and keeping an eye on her is a great idea!
well, you sure know she likes that food, unless now that she piggied out she's over it and won't ever touch it again :confused: :rolleyes: :catman:

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, because I'm a worry wart, I called the ASPCA Poison Control line which charges a $65 fee. The toxicologist there said the main worry would be an intestinal blockage so I should look out for lethargy, appetite loss (continues b/c they didn't eat all their food last night which is unusual), vomiting, not producing stool or their abdomen's are pushed out and hard.
I can't wait until the next 48 hours pass and I'm in the clear. And I have to find a hiding spot for Stella and Chewy's.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put the bag into a food storage container and put it into the fridge.

Your cat will be fine so don't worry :grouphug: This one time gorge on freeze dried raw isn't going to cause any health problem.

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you LTS3. That's comforting to hear.
I would put it in a storage container in the fridge but they ate it all :shocked:

I will in the future though.

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just talking to my mother. I've been owned by cats since I'm 5 years old and I've never been so nervous about them until now. I think it's because of the internet. You google "my cat did xxx" and you can find a thousand disaster scenarios. My forever baby in heaven used to eat plastic. ALL THE TIME. I obviously would hide it from her but inevitably I would miss something. I didn't think twice. Now? I would be all gray.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Isn't it the truth? But, on the other hand we pet parents are, for better or worse (although I think mostly better) generally more educated about things than we used to be. We just have to weed through everything and get to the kernels of truth and valid info - way easier said than done! :read: