Did my cat just try to protect me?

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats had a little spat and if I didn't know better I could have sworn one of them was trying to protect me from the other.

Mischief tried to jump on me while I was eating and lost her balance. She hooked her claws into me and I yelped while she fell to the floor (this happens a lot). Millie came over to investigate. She licked Mischief's neck a few times and then bit her scruff hard enough to make her yelp (I've never heard this happen before).

Mischief squirmed free and jumped onto the couch I was sitting on and Millie followed. As Mischief tried to reach for my food and I pushed her back, Millie smacked her a couple of times and after a brief staredown, scruffed her again and dragged her to the floor (also unusual; Mischief is much bigger than Millie), where she ignored Mischief's protests and hung on for a bit. Then they had another staredown (Mischief lying down and Millie standing next to her, tail up and ears back) that ended with Millie chasing Mischief into the kitchen.

I wasn't too worried about it or anything; they play rough all the time and mild spats happen (nobody ever gets hurt) but this one seemed different. Millie can win a wrestling match when she really wants to in spite of her smaller size but she's never made Mischief squeak before. Maybe it was just minor redirected aggression (I could have started her by yelping, I guess), but it almost seemed too calculated for that.

I like to tell myself that Millie was trying to discipline Mischief for making me yelp, though.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can't say for sure, obviously, but I suppose it's possible. :catlove: How are things between them now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can't say for sure, obviously, but I suppose it's possible. :catlove: How are things between them now?

Fine, really. Still groomed each other and no problems when I played with them both. Wrestled again after that, too. Then Mischief laid in my lap while Millie laid next to us on the top of the couch. Seems there's no hard feelings between them. They do usually play really rough though, especially for adult females. But both always go back for more so I leave it be.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it's totally possible.

Once my husband was out late (rarely happens) and I was upstairs with the cats. My tortie heard the door open downstairs ans started growling! To this day it's the only time I have ever heard her growl!!! Amd she stalked the top of the stairs growling till she realized who it was. I totally felt like she was protecting me.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do think that your cat was disciplining the other one. Very common behavior in dogs if you have a pack. When I had 5 dogs the alpha would always shake the scruff of anyone who misbehaved or anyone I corrected. I don't see why a cat could not have the same mentality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do think that your cat was disciplining the other one. Very common behavior in dogs if you have a pack. When I had 5 dogs the alpha would always shake the scruff of anyone who misbehaved or anyone I corrected. I don't see why a cat could not have the same mentality.
Usually when they play, Mischief tends to chase and pin Millie more than vice versa, since she's so much bigger; Millie likes being chased and prefers sneak attacks though she can win a round when she wants (and when she wants to win there's no stopping her). It makes me wonder who's really in charge!

Cats don't really have a pack mentality, but it almost looked like an older cat smacking around an unruly kitten (especially the scruffing part), which describes Mischief despite the fact that she's nearly two years old. And she was very intentional about it; she doesn't usually just assert herself like that. I'm kinda proud of her.