Did i ruin male feral relationship ?

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just tnred a feral male. He's been around for months. He got along with other 2 until he started getting aggressive towards other neutered male. Today was 1st day all 3 were together since his surgery. Other male saw him and ran. I feel terrible. They were at one time touching noses. How can that happen again if other is so fearful of him?
Thanks!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with Antonio65 Antonio65 . He has a different smell. I realize that you feel bad and we all do when they come back from TNR and act differently but they usually do come around. It is still a much better thing you did to get him fixed even if he does not agree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks but that's not what i meant. Did i neuter him too late in terms of aggression with other cat who is now scared of him. Meaning they got along... He got comfortable and territorial then fought with older cat. Now that he's neutered and hopefully calmer... Will that matter or change if other cat runs from him anyway.
Thanks

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It will take about 30 days for all the testosterone to get out of his system, so you won't see an immediate change in his behaviour. He will gradually become less aggressive though, so the other cats will learn that he's not a threat anymore.

Are the other cats all neutered too?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they aren't afraid of his aggression if he didn't attack them after returning, they are afraid of him because he smells different from the vet, and that takes days to disappear. They will learn to trust him again, but they remember his earlier aggression. They will all get along again in time......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU!!! Yes, all are neutered. So... if the one who runs from him now... he'll eventually "smell" that he doesnt need to be afraid/run anymore??? I just feel how will he know that the other is calmer if he doesnt get close enough. :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think it will work out. Cats know when another one is fixed after about 30 days.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the new neutered one will eventually smell like he did, and when he is no longer aggressive to them within 30 days when all his hormones have left his body, they will all get along much better.