Did I pick the right Vet?

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone

As some of you know I already picked my Vet and I am super concerned that I am not allowed in with my kitten due to covid.

Our region just went into a more lenient phase allowing stores to reopen and regular operations to resume. Vet clinics are still acting strict though....

it is my first pet technically and I am shocked I just need to hand it over and be okay with it. I can't gauge how well my kitten will be taken care of and the overall service quality or anything really. That is just ABSURD.

They MUST set up live feeds so owners can view the things taking place which they normally would if covid wasn't a thing.

im considering planting a recorder in the carrier but it will only give me partial information. I won't be able to see how my kitten is handled or if what they said they're doing was actually done. Nor aassess the clinif based on the experience.

I Wanna ask them to literally take my phone and record the appointment for me but I don't know if they will. I don't think I'm being over the top I mean with? "Here take my kitten and my money even though I have no idea what's going on..."

Any advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most vets are doing things this way right now. It is normal.
Yeah well. Some measures must be put in place for us to SEE how the procedures take place and that they are honestly doing everything we're paying for and treating our pets with respect.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Owners don't watch all procedures done on an animal. Even before covid, it's normal for complex procedures or those that require restraint (such as blood draws, etc.) to take place in the back room of the vet clinic without the owner present.

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Owners don't watch all procedures done on an animal. Even before covid, it's normal for complex procedures or those that require restraint (such as blood draws, etc.) to take place in the back room of the vet clinic without the owner present.
Yeah I totally understand that part but at least you could have walked in and get a general feel of the place and for the 3 regular appointments everyone I asked said they were in with the vet and pet. They're normal routine procedures. Sometimes the vet actually asks you to hold your pet still.

Anyway I just feel like they should let us see a feed of things we would normally see.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many vets will stay on the phone with you during the appointment, maybe you can ask to do that (if it's not already their standard practice). It's not the same as seeing everything but at least you can ask and answer questions.

Kristin Bryant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My state is pretty much restriction free now but my vet still has curbside only. I'm fortunate that I've been with them for many years so I trust them. Maybe you can look at some reviews for the vet you've chosen and see how other clients rate them. Also, if available in your area, a cats only vet may help ease your mind as they use very different handling and stress relieving techniques for our nervous kitties.

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many vets will stay on the phone with you during the appointment, maybe you can ask to do that (if it's not already their standard practice). It's not the same as seeing everything but at least you can ask and answer questions.
Wow really? Doesn't look like that would be offered. Nothing of that sort was mentioned to me. Let alone I expressed concern but was just told this is how it is.

I wanna plant hidden cameras in the bag but I have no idea which way it will face and not about to spend 500 bucks on camera all around it, let alone you can't conceal that. I'll just plant a voice recorder inside... I will lock one of the compartments.

I know I'm not being over the top because I am about to drop $500 in that place and have them be my go to veterinarian clinic for the future. How can I trust that they're doing everything they said they're doing and doing it right if I can't see anything. It's like leaving your car at a shady mechanic and they SAID they changed the parts and oil but they didn't or didn't do it right.

Let alone it's not only about the money. My kitten can develop severe health and psychological issues if the experience there is not optimal.

Looks like a decent place but like I said. Not cool that they're so oblivious to all the things I mentioned here.

My state is pretty much restriction free now but my vet still has curbside only. I'm fortunate that I've been with them for many years so I trust them. Maybe you can look at some reviews for the vet you've chosen and see how other clients rate them. Also, if available in your area, a cats only vet may help ease your mind as they use very different handling and stress relieving techniques for our nervous kitties.
Yeah I searched for a cat only vet clinic and not sure there is one in the area. I will keep on searching today. The reviews seem very good for the place but it's not enough. My concerns are beyond valid and something should be done.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't drive yourself crazy worrying about what might happen in a routine vet appointment. They are just going to be examining your kitten and giving vaccinations. Young kittens are generally pretty okay with vets and vet techs handling them, it's not the same as a fearful (or feral) adult cat.

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't drive yourself crazy worrying about what might happen in a routine vet appointment. They are just going to be examining your kitten and giving vaccinations. Young kittens are generally pretty okay with vets and vet techs handling them, it's not the same as a fearful (or feral) adult cat.
Hopefully it will all go well and they'll do what they said the did. I am not a person who trusts easy as my trust was broken by many doctors or institutions which you'd never expect to do what they did but I will do my best to give my kitten to a good vet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't benefit the vet at all if the kitten dies of panleukopenia before a lifetime of spay/neuter, vaccines, blood tests, and dentals ;). There's no reason they wouldn't do what they say.

(Also, most vets and vet techs really do love animals and want to do what's best, but I can understand being suspicious too.)

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It doesn't benefit the vet at all if the kitten dies of panleukopenia before a lifetime of spay/neuter, vaccines, blood tests, and dentals ;). There's no reason they wouldn't do what they say.

(Also, most vets and vet techs really do love animals and want to do what's best, but I can understand being suspicious too.)
Thank you for this. Sorry but I am not a trusting person. I didn't even get the kitten yet and I feel like a shelter considering what I learned for the kitten's safety and joy, let alone the litter-mates and momma cat and also educating the seller and 4 new owners.

Like... I'm super invested in this. I never thought I would be this invested. It's not uncommon for me to act this way but I didn't think a kitten/cat require this much work (ideally).

I was getting the kitten to make MY life better and now I realized it is to make OUR lives better.

I need to be sure I trust the vet.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would be careful with automatically assuming that there’s something shady going on at a vet - everyone has different preferences about what qualities they think are most important when they’re choosing a vet (some may have better bedside manner than others, stuff like that) but the vast majority of vets care about animals and treat the ones who come into their clinics well. Good reviews are just another reassurance.

Even in normal times when you go into the exam room usually you chat with the vet and then if any procedures need to be done like a blood draw, vaccines, or an ultrasound they will take the cat out of the exam room to do them while you wait, so it’s not that different.

plus, well visits for kittens are generally straightforward and quick. Kittens aren’t as scared of going to new places and they’ll just be getting a checkup to make sure things are going well plus routine deworming and kitten vaccines depending on their age. It’ll be ok!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
At least here, hospitals for humans are not allowing family or friends in with the patient, either for outpatient or inpatient services. That included the major cancer centers and specialty hospitals where you might think that an exception might be made.

I certainly understand your concern but agree that a kitten is safe going for an exam. I almost had to chuckle at what W Willowy wrote. I have a 15 year old GSD, an oddity at that, who has been saved repeatedly by vets of all kinds so that he can live to fight another day and his mommy can pay the next four digit bill for his care.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least here, hospitals for humans are not allowing family or friends in with the patient, either for outpatient or inpatient services. That included the major cancer centers and specialty hospitals where you might think that an exception might be made.
With the exception most places being labor and delivery where the patient is allowed one support person.

I understand being nervous since you've never been to this vet before M Mr_Kitty . I brought one of our cats to a new vet closer to where we moved in the fall. She doesn't do well with vets and I was nervous. She ended up needing a dental, which made me even more nervous, but that's something I wouldn't have been allowed into even without covid. And both old and new vets were cat only. But everything turned out okay!

You can check to see if the vet you chose is a cat friendly practice. But I'd be wary of recording without consent from a legal standpoint.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was also a little worried about not being present, especially since I'd already taken my kitten to an emergency vet that let me inside, before finally getting off the wait list for my vet of choice, which doesn't. But I'd spend more time making sure you're comfortable with your vet (reading reviews, etc.) and less time thinking about surveillance methods. For better or worse, you are going to alienate your vet if you engage in surveillance or display suspicion of their intentions. And for better off worse, your kitty will get better treatment if you get along with your vet. Plus, if you're stressed, your kitty will pick up on it and it will make the appointment more stressful for him. As a kitten, he will likely be fine being handed off to a vet tech. I know mine was, even though she hardly met any other strangers due to covid.

That's not to say you shouldn't ask questions. I've found that I need to make a list of questions before I go to the vet, because I only get one chance to ask them while on the phone with the vet during/after the appointment (whereas when in person, you can inquire as questions pop into your head). Even within my practice, some vets have been much more effective on the phone, answering my questions and not making me feel like I'm being a bother. So now I plan to ask for those vets when making future non-urgent appointments.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have actually typed up a list of questions, sent one copy to the vet and kept one elsewhere on my phone or hard copy, and ask the vet to go down the list. I number the questions as well so that I can refer them back to number 7, for example.