Did I Fail Storing The Dry Food Or Is She Bored Of The Taste?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hima's dry food has been Acana Wild Prairie since February. I got their bigger 5,4kg package only twice.

The first big size, I purchased on 18 February and it was finished by 1 May. 72 days.

The second I got on 2 May and it's still not finished by 13 August. 103 days. And the expiration date was earlier than the first package. It will expire in October 2019.

So the last maybe two weeks Hima either doesn't eat her dry food at all or eats only a few. I recently made her try Royal Canin Sensible 33 and she loved it a lot. At first I thought she was protesting Acana to get RC back but I think it's just that she doesn't like the taste of this Acana we have anymore. To me it doesn't smell weird, and I have tried it with stray cats they ate it just fine (and are healthy). But I guess it's not fresh enough for Hima.

Where did I fail? Istanbul is hot and humid in the summer but the dry food was in a container, not getting any air or light. Then again I read we are supposed to keep the food in the container with its own paper package which I didn't do.
  • Did I fail with the storage or dry food just shouldn't go for more than like two months or so after we open the package regardless of how we store it? I will no longer get a big size anyway since I try to add more wet food.
  • Or is it that Hima had enough of Acana? I want to get a smaller box but if she won't eat it, a vet exam worth of money will go to waste. (They don't refund.)

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How sensitive is your nose? Are you able to tell when oils have gone off? Like not being done with a bottle of olive oil, but *sniff* and you have to replace it? The food contain natural or added oils, and they can turn over time even if you are properly storing them. It could have started at manufacture or the weather influencing it. You could try a smaller brand new bag to see if Hima is truly done with that flavor. You may need to break up the large bags into smaller storage bags if you have a freezer available.