Did I do the wrong thing? (caution: mention of taxidermy)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, dress him up, decorate him for the holidays, tote him around! Like they did with Rowdy on Scrubs.

How is he mounted---standing, sitting, lying down? I think the only taxidermied domestic cats I've seen were mounted in a sleeping position.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sure, dress him up, decorate him for the holidays, tote him around! Like they did with Rowdy on Scrubs.

How is he mounted---standing, sitting, lying down? I think the only taxidermied domestic cats I've seen were mounted in a sleeping position.
He’s mounted sitting on his haunches!

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:) I would dress him up too, and sunnies sounds like a good idea. He will be a wonderful master piece during holidays and when people come to visit he will be a great conversation starter and will be a memory for everyone . I dont think oxley will ever be forgotten and i am sure with his presence he will bring many joy and happiness to your life :)

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:) I would dress him up too, and sunnies sounds like a good idea. He will be a wonderful master piece during holidays and when people come to visit he will be a great conversation starter and will be a memory for everyone . I dont think oxley will ever be forgotten and i am sure with his presence he will bring many joy and happiness to your life :)
Thanks, Leomc123!

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, dustydiamond! It's been a while since I last posted here. I'm afraid my latest update isn't very cheery. Oxley's body isn't ready yet, but after seeing his eyes again, I have grown uncomfortable with his taxidermied body. Even though I bought sunglasses for him, I'm still uncomfortable because in life, he had the most beautiful and kind eyes, and now one eye is slanted and one eye looks like it's staring. The taxidermist just couldn't get it right because he says the skin shrinks after death, also he has a limited number of glass eyes and none look like his eyes. I know some members have said I can opt to cremate him, but I can't bear to do that yet. I'll be keeping his body with a family friend (at least I know his fur is preserved and still out there) until my grief is less and I have a better idea of what to do with him. I could either cremate in the future, or go overseas to repair his eyes.
So glad things went well. When you feel up to it we sure would love to see photos of him :heartshape::rbheart::kitty::angel::redheartpump:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope you found a way out of the hook and you will have a peaceful 2020.

===

Cats'eyes have a specific reflective layer - tapetum lucidum - which I guess is difficult to replicate. The variable opening is another feature that makes cat's eyes so special.

But does this really count?

The grandfather of a friend of mine was very handsome, the athletic type. He passed from a degenerative disease which left him in a state of ghost - sort of speaking. My friend has pictures of him from both periods. He told me that it is not important how he looks in the picture, but is important to remember him as playing an important role in his life, to remember and the affection.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, dustydiamond! It's been a while since I last posted here. I'm afraid my latest update isn't very cheery. Oxley's body isn't ready yet, but after seeing his eyes again, I have grown uncomfortable with his taxidermied body. Even though I bought sunglasses for him, I'm still uncomfortable because in life, he had the most beautiful and kind eyes, and now one eye is slanted and one eye looks like it's staring. The taxidermist just couldn't get it right because he says the skin shrinks after death, also he has a limited number of glass eyes and none look like his eyes. I know some members have said I can opt to cremate him, but I can't bear to do that yet. I'll be keeping his body with a family friend (at least I know his fur is preserved and still out there) until my grief is less and I have a better idea of what to do with him. I could either cremate in the future, or go overseas to repair his eyes.
I'm so sorry. Can the taxidermist close his eyes so it looks like he's having a nap? :hugs: :alright:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a shame about the eyes, I think you are wise to let the grief subside before making any irrevocable decisions. Maybe if you put him facing out a window watching the birds and squirrels? Don't listen to anyone who tries to make you feel bad about what you are doing, you are doing everything out of love. Sorry I've been out of touch, I'll be around for moral support :hugs: :hugs:

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you dustydiamond1 and everyone else who commented. I feel better now about leaving his taxidermied body with a family friend, and I'm glad I didn't jump the gun right away and cremate his body.
I've been missing The Cat Site. You guys were such a support to me throughout the time my moggy was with me and throughout his illness.

Such a shame about the eyes, I think you are wise to let the grief subside before making any irrevocable decisions. Maybe if you put him facing out a window watching the birds and squirrels? Don't listen to anyone who tries to make you feel bad about what you are doing, you are doing everything out of love. Sorry I've been out of touch, I'll be around for moral support :hugs: :hugs: