DiatomaceousEarth

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trying to find medicine, or powders that i can put in my feral cats food or water or on the area that they sit on. Once i spay or neuter them there is not catching them again, unless i find one that needs medical treatment, i try to catch them. But in the meantime i am trying to keep them as healthy as i can. I was at the vets one day and the vet mentioned this Diatomaceous earth. And from what little i read about it, it can be put into the food and also on the carpet they sit on. Does anyone know anything about this stuff. I have to do a little more research, but curious if anyone has ever used this stuff for anything.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying to find medicine, or powders that i can put in my feral cats food or water or on the area that they sit on. Once i spay or neuter them there is not catching them again, unless i find one that needs medical treatment, i try to catch them. But in the meantime i am trying to keep them as healthy as i can. I was at the vets one day and the vet mentioned this Diatomaceous earth. And from what little i read about it, it can be put into the food and also on the carpet they sit on. Does anyone know anything about this stuff. I have to do a little more research, but curious if anyone has ever used this stuff for anything.
It is an effective way of killing external parasites, but it is difficult to treat ferals with it since you need to rub it into their fur. If you just sprinkle it over them it can get into their eyes and cause problems. I wouldn't recommend using it on ferals anyway as it doesn't prevent fleas or ticks, it just kills what is already on them.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t recommend DE for internal use when you can’t control how much they might eat. DE can be very absorbent and you could end up with constipated ferals.