Diatomaceous Earth

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to prevent worms, fleas and ticks naturally without the use of chemicals.

I've read DE (food grade) is effective and want to try on my kitties. What dosage is recommended? I read 2 tsp a day but wanted to make sure.
For fleas and ticks, I will try neem leaf extract. If you know other natural ways to prevent worms, fleas and ticks, please let me know. Our kitties are free of them. This is just for preventative measures.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you tell me the company name? I would like to check that out.
I've moved from Advantage II for cats...to....Advecta II for cats.....to.....Advecta II for Large dogs (along with a syringe for measuring).
I sure don't suggest anybody do this without researching it for themselves, Especially if they are not comfortable with the risks.
I went from a total of $40 a month to $5 a month. (4 cats)

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first got the kittens, I figured they had fleas due to itching a lot. Turned out it was ear mites. I bought it on Amazon and since I suck at figuring out sizes online, I ended up buying a big bag.

I really don't need it so I was wondering if there was any place to donate it. Would shelters accept it? I heard it could be used as a food additive but don't really know much about that.

Any suggestions?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i use food grade to keep ants out and away
How so? We have been seeing ants in the kitchen and I have been using Raid with essential oils as it says it is pet friendly. Do you just sprinkle some along the baseboards?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How so? We have been seeing ants in the kitchen and I have been using Raid with essential oils as it says it is pet friendly. Do you just sprinkle some along the baseboards?
i bought a five pound bag that comes with a dispenser thing that sprays out a blast of the powder. its got a long pointed tip that allows you to get the powder right into tiny cracks etc. i use it to get the powder into the wall furnace we have. essential oils works to but i forget where exactly i read it but its not to good for cats the peppermint one i think it was not sure on that i could be wrong what i have used and still do is a little bit of dawn dish soap mixed with water into a spray bottle to kill ants they die fast soon as it contacts them .in the end though according to the pest guy. all you can really do is preventive stuff to keep them out unless you can get to the nest outside or inside the walls of your home.the de powder will work to keep them out so far i have been lucky they havent decided to get in from a different location.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i bought a five pound bag that comes with a dispenser thing that sprays out a blast of the powder. its got a long pointed tip that allows you to get the powder right into tiny cracks etc. i use it to get the powder into the wall furnace we have. essential oils works to but i forget where exactly i read it but its not to good for cats the peppermint one i think it was not sure on that i could be wrong what i have used and still do is a little bit of dawn dish soap mixed with water into a spray bottle to kill ants they die fast soon as it contacts them .in the end though according to the pest guy. all you can really do is preventive stuff to keep them out unless you can get to the nest outside or inside the walls of your home.the de powder will work to keep them out so far i have been lucky they havent decided to get in from a different location.
Ok. I also have the dispenser thingy. I will try the Dawn and water combo too. We really only have ants by the kittens' placemat/food and that's because Boone dumps food out of the bowl and eats it off the floor. I clean up the food as often as I can to prevent ants from lurking around. Thanks!!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. I also have the dispenser thingy. I will try the Dawn and water combo too. We really only have ants by the kittens' placemat/food and that's because Boone dumps food out of the bowl and eats it off the floor. I clean up the food as often as I can to prevent ants from lurking around. Thanks!!
[/Q your welcome