Diarrhoea in 7 month old kitten.

Kath N

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After receiving a huge vet bill for my kitten problems with diarrhoea and sickness, I need advice!!. She seemed very well...b ut had several bouts of diarrhoea and twice was sick....she has a very good appetite and is very active. She has always loved royal canin biscuits....And now eats a fair variety of wet food....chicken a nd lots of fish....about 1 1/2 pouches per day...topped up with biscuits..... She is indoors only....so not picking up on bugs from outside. Any suggestions?.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be she has an allergy to chicken or fish. Try removing the chicken and fish and replace with a single protein, duck, lamb, whatever is available. To help the diarrhoea try psyllium, a pinch mixed into her wet food twice a day or s boulardii, that works well for my cats, a half a capsule mixed into wet food once a day for about a week should help.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did the Vet check for worms and other parasites? That would be the first place I would look. If they did, including Giardia and Coccidia, then I would definately look at her food and do as suggested above. The S. Boulardi seems to work wonders for many, many cats, but only if there are no parasites. I can't fight worms, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kath N

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advice. I'll let you know how we get on 🐈🐈

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kath N

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It would seem we have discovered cause of my kitten's diarrhoea and sickness. My breeder contacted me to say her cats had al s o been unwell....and there has been an outbreak of illness in cats who had been eating Felix as good as it looks. See Facebook for articles. S h e rapidly c h anged their food and they have recovered and thriving on a different wet food. I contacted my vet....And said I'd like to try a change of food.In short that was acceptable as long as I finished the steroid tablets she had been given.!!! So far ....no sickness or diarrhoea....but it's early days. Felix not accepting responsibility....but many shop s giving refunds for this brand of felix..
Another problem we h ave is gingevitis....but vet doesn't want to look at this till she is a year old...5 months hence. I've sent for toothbrush a n d paste and watched several u tube film s of teeth cleaning...any ti p s???

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know when my other cat Sam was alive we tried duck and had a bad reaction to it so put him back on chicken