Diarrhea

Kakashi882

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty has had diarrhea this morning, that’s when I noticed at least. He is playing and eating and drinking normally. It’s not pure liquid, it’s just softer than usual and not formed into a log— more glob like. It’s a light brown color. I’m not super concerned, more so looking for things I can do to help what I assume is an upset belly. I will note I have caught him eating the dog food. He’s at least 8 months old. I adopted him from the shelter, so not for sure on exact age. If he were super young or super old I’d be more concerned. Any tips are appreciated!! Thanks!

Adding in that he’s been to the vet and is up to date in all vaccines and worm meds!

Pic for reference

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Cute kitten!! Can you call and ask the vet what they might recommend for the diarrhea, or if they think you should wait a day or so and see if it resolves itself? Many folks try adding just a little bit of plain pumpkin or probiotics such as s. boulardi to their food to help with digestive troubles. I would definitely do what you can to keep him out of the dog food, for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kakashi882

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention we have just changed foods due to a lack of supply of his usual food. He is playing and eating as usual— which I take to be a good sign. I’m going to try some pumpkin and give it a few days to see if it resolves.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention we have just changed foods due to a lack of supply of his usual food. He is playing and eating as usual— which I take to be a good sign. I’m going to try some pumpkin and give it a few days to see if it resolves.
If it continues, take a pic for the vet. There is a poop chart online that explains what it could mean

Kakashi882

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Going to the vet tomorrow, but posting in case this helps anyone in the future. My kitty boy has had some softer stool lately, not necessarily diarrhea. But definitely not as formed as usual. He had poop stuck to his actual butthole, and has been leaving little poop stain spots when he sits on his bed/ cat tree. Yesterday, he left me a little poop nugget— less than an inch— on my tv stand which is out of character. His bum looks red and irritated, and poop is visible when you look at his booty. I got a wipe to clean his bottom and the poop began to start coming out but he wouldn’t go to the litter box— again that is unusual. I’ll let you know what we find out but I didn’t know if 1. Anyone had any ideas about what is going on or 2. This would help someone else!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did you change his food back to what he was eating before the loose stool started? I would guess even if you did, it might take some time for his system to 're-set', but still a good idea to have him checked by a vet. Is he still otherwise acting OK?

Given you were previously worried about worms, that might still be a factor here. How is his belly looking now?

Kakashi882

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His belly looks normal, I took him to the vet and he is healthy. The vet recommended a gentle formula food because he seems to have a sensitive tummy. Thanks!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is most likely the cause. If you switched abruptly, especially if it's dry food, it can cause gastro issues and diarrhea or soft stool.