Diarrhea

Catsanddogs1238

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

My cat had diarrhea once overnight and also twice today around 3 hours after eating his food. He wants to eat his last meal (dinner) but I dont know if I should let him eat or not. I read online that its okay and some places say cats shouldnt eat when they have diarrhea. Also I heard pumpkin is good but it has so much fiber wont it make it worst? Thanks!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This page has a lot of good info on diarrhea.
My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

The gist of it is to pick up some unenhanced (no salt or spices added) chicken or another lean protein. Poach it and offer a little at a time over several meals. This is the bland diet without the rice. Rice isn't needed for cats and may make matters worse.

While you are also feeding this bland diet, you are going to give him a yeast based probiotic that will serve him better than pumpkin.
Vitamin Shoppe

One of the best things about s. boulardii is that it does not form colonies like other probiotics. That means its effect wears off within a day or two after stopping it. This makes it perfect to use as needed. But it also has a very high safety margin making it safe to use every day, if needed. However, I would caution that my Krista eventually got sick of s. boulardii. I would use it when needed and save it for emergency use if it is not needed for long-term maintenance.

Finally, if the diarrhea doesn't clear up in a couple of days, I recommend a vet visit and bring in a stool sample. Ask for a diarrhea PCR to look for bacteria infections that the cheaper fecal float test does not test for. The bland diet can be fed for a few days. More than that and you really need answers as to what's causing the diarrhea. The bland diet is not a balanced and nutritionally complete diet and cannot be fed indefinitely. An otherwise healthy adult cat can eat an unbalanced diet for a week or two. A kitten should not eat an unbalanced diet for more than a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catsanddogs1238

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies. He had diarrhea overnight i am really overwhelmed. He had a blood test all normal except "liver a little higher then normal", ringworm culture negative (has bald spot on belly), no fleas, pcr diarrhea panel all negative. What else can I do? He hates going to the vet. Im thinking if i have a phone appointment today with them and asking what else we can do. Would that be okay or should i physically take him in.

Catsanddogs1238

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Noticed as of 10:00 am keeps licking/smacking his lips.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Noticed as of 10:00 am keeps licking/smacking his lips.
That is a sign of nausea. Your cat may need anti nausea medicine. I'd take the cat to the vet for a full check up and get blood work done. Since most vets are booked ahead for several weeks these days, in the meantime you can ask the vet during the phone appointment about anti nausea medince and any other concerns you have.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies. He had diarrhea overnight i am really overwhelmed. He had a blood test all normal except "liver a little higher then normal", ringworm culture negative (has bald spot on belly), no fleas, pcr diarrhea panel all negative. What else can I do? He hates going to the vet. Im thinking if i have a phone appointment today with them and asking what else we can do. Would that be okay or should i physically take him in.
You might try DiaGel or Pro-Pectalin. Both are available on Chewy and on Amazon. Both are vet recommended and I’ve always sworn by Pro-Pectalin, which contains only kaolin, apple pectin and probiotics. I keep some on hand at all times. DiaGel is great too. Ask your vet if you can take a stool sample to them. Maybe not, but it’s worth a try.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's not infection (as ruled out by PCR), then it must be ingestion, exposure, or disease process. An ultrasound would be the next diagnostic if you suspect a disease process. This came on suddenly in the last two or three days though and the liver number is a little high. That sounds more acute than chronic. Is he an indoor-outdoor cat? Did you change anything about his diet recently? New treats? New toys? Did you bring something new into the home like a new plant, new furniture, or did you change one of your cleaning or hygiene products?

Try the bland diet and the saccharomyces boulardii for a few days.

Catsanddogs1238

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I told my his vet i think he has nausea she agreed. However she said since he is drinking eating not lethargic doesnt need to come in and to wait another day. Is this normal? Why wouldnt she give him nausea medication if she agreed hes nauseous. He did a full blood count test three weeks ago and came back normal. If the smacking continues tomorrow i may ask if he can have ant nausea meds. Is there one you think is safest/best?

That is a sign of nausea. Your cat may need anti nausea medicine. I'd take the cat to the vet for a full check up and get blood work done. Since most vets are booked ahead for several weeks these days, in the meantime you can ask the vet during the phone appointment about anti nausea medince and any other concerns you have.

Catsanddogs1238

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! He had a pcr diarrhea panel done 3 weeks ago and came out normal.

You might try DiaGel or Pro-Pectalin. Both are available on Chewy and on Amazon. Both are vet recommended and I’ve always sworn by Pro-Pectalin, which contains only kaolin, apple pectin and probiotics. I keep some on hand at all times. DiaGel is great too. Ask your vet if you can take a stool sample to them. Maybe not, but it’s worth a try.