Diarrhea PCR cost?

dolceshmolce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve been battling chronic diarrhea in my now 9 month old and now my 2 year old cat has it too after we introduced them 2 months ago. Sigh. We’ve had multiple fecal tests, tried fortiflora, S. Boulardii, elimination diet (on a rabbit protein only diet right now), and nothing is helping! The fortiflora seems to be firming up Oliver’s (2 yo) poop just a smidge, but Loki’s (9 mo) is still a watery, stinky mess.
After combing through the threads on here, I think I want a PCR on Loki. He was rescued off of the street in our neighborhood at 4 weeks old and was a walking parasite harbor. I had no idea that the regular fecal flotation they offered me didn’t check for C. Diff, trich, etc. I can’t believe that’s never been offered to me at the vet all of these months of smelly agony! My husband and I are currently trying to conceive and I need to get this sorted out just in case whatever it is is zoonotic. And I owe it to my first babies to get them some relief!

In your experience, how much did a diarrhea PCR panel cost for you? I know it’s different across regions, but I’m just curious on what I could expect.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My panel cost $75 here in North Carolina, but my vet tends to be a bit less expensive than some others in the area. I know of one (big now physical plant) that charges $90. Guess they have a big construction loan.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In your experience, how much did a diarrhea PCR panel cost for you? I know it’s different across regions, but I’m just curious on what I could expect.
Call around to local vets in your area and ask for the price - but, also ask what all is being tested because that can also vary among vets. You don't have to be a patron of a vet's office for them to give you an estimate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dolceshmolce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for chiming in. Good to know! I will make some calls today. Vets tend to be pretty pricey in my area, so I’m hoping to find a more reasonably priced one to run tests.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My panel cost $75 here in North Carolina, but my vet tends to be a bit less expensive than some others in the area. I know of one (big now physical plant) that charges $90. Guess they have a big construction loan.
Are you sure that's the PCR and not the fecal float test?

I paid $375 for Krista's "IDEXX Diarrhea Real PCR Panel". By contrast, I paid $62.50 for her "Fecal Ova, Parasites + Giardia" (fecal float test.)

These are SF Bay Area, California prices ($$$) Yours will almost certainly be lower (unless you're in New York City.)

Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my fuzzy recollection is that it was around $250 - $275? but that was a few years ago, so old data point. I’m sorry your vet didn’t recommend this. I call that incompetence, frankly, given your cat’s circumstances.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what worked for Krista’s clostridium infection (diagnosed by PCR)? Both the s. boulardii and another supplement called Lithothamnium. It’s basically a calcium supplement that will help dry up the stools. In a healthy cat, it will cause constipation. So there’s a bit of trial and error to find the right dose. I recommend buying it from Vitality Science. They have excellent customer service and can offer other supplement supports. This can help dry things up in the short term. But you still want to run that PCR and see if you have a persistent bug like clostridium. It could be your cats ate the same bad batch of food. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dolceshmolce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your input! I ended up calling around and my current vet had the best price at $310. Today I woke up to my older cat having a very leaky butt all over our house and I took that as my sign to bite the bullet and pay for the PCR 😵
The vet prescribed flagyl for some immediate relief in the meantime while we wait for results. I saw a new vet at the same office we go to and given their symptoms, she is leaning towards a clostridium overload and/or trich, but only time will tell. She was a little confused as to why we haven’t been offered the PCR yet.

I have s. Boulardii, but I haven’t looked into Lithothamnium and will check it out! Might be helpful in conjunction with medication for whatever they find.