Diarrhea Getting Worst

Kxng7233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone. This is my first cat so I don’t know what to do. He was on metronidazole for 9 days 2 weeks ago and his stool is getting from soft to liquid now. He vomited for the first time in 2 weeks, some clear liquid. Anybody have any ideas what this might be? Parasite? Worm?? Thanks!!

harhardf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
metronidazole causes soft stools. why did they give it to him? its usually used for parasite treatment of giardia or amoeba based issues. what do you feed him? if only dry, i would consider getting some high quality digestive care wet food just for hydration issues. i even add water to my cats wet food to make sure they are hydrated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kxng7233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Metronidazole was given to Jingles to stop his vomit and diarrhea. Out of the 9 days on metronidazole, he only had solid poop on the first 2 days.

He’s on Hills z/d and Natures Variety LID.

Is it possible that there’s still parasite? He was dewormed last May.....

Tabithan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone. This is my first cat so I don’t know what to do. He was on metronidazole for 9 days 2 weeks ago and his stool is getting from soft to liquid now. He vomited for the first time in 2 weeks, some clear liquid. Anybody have any ideas what this might be? Parasite? Worm?? Thanks!!
Hi- I can only relate my own experience, in which our cat had an allergic reaction to medication after dental surgery.
I don't know what medication this is which your cat was on, or for what situation ( surgery?)- but you should probably be contacting your vet about the medication and also to look for any other condition which may be affecting her poop and causing her to vomit. Ours have ranged from a sudden virus to vomiting after eating a bug. If it is something more than a bug or stress, it should be checked.

harhardf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah it’s totally possible. Also, I should say that my words are based in my own experience too. I have three cats and a dog and every time they are given Flagyl, they vomit and have loose stools. I surprised that a vet would give that to firm up stools. Makes little sense unless the vet thought the cat had a parasitic or bacterial infection that caused the loose stool. That drug has listed as its side effects vomiting and diarrhea. If the cat has an amoeba like giardia, it comes and goes in cycles and is very hard to get rid of. Does you cat go outside? Interact with other animals?

Metronidazole was given to Jingles to stop his vomit and diarrhea. Out of the 9 days on metronidazole, he only had solid poop on the first 2 days.

He’s on Hills z/d and Natures Variety LID.

Is it possible that there’s still parasite? He was dewormed last May.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kxng7233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got him last Oct from a shelter. I found some fleas on him and put him on Advantage. I checked his stool and didn’t see any tapeworm. But he started vomiting and having diarrhea around mid Nov. The vomit started once 2-3 days then got to twice a day. He was 8 pounds and was 5 pounds at the end of Dec. Then the vet gave metronidazole. Now he’s eating and at 8 pounds again. But the diarrhea is still happening.

He’s indoor only.

The vet wants to do Mal- absorption next. Should I ask for fecal test? I want to try to solve this before I go to the vet.

harhardf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my experience, the fecal swab only shows certain types of parasites. My dog for example had various fecal tests done (where they reach the wand up into his rectum and take a sample) and it never showed giardia but he had a very bad case of it (blood in his poop, etc). My cat had parasites and they never showed. Only after collecting 5 days worth of poop did they find it. We did blood tests to figure out the issue and it showed is high eosinophils which mean either parasites or allergic reactions. So we deparasited again and when the issue never cleared up, we switched to hypoallergenic food. FINALLY, the poop is normal and no vomiting. May be worth looking at blood work to determine what is going on, or fecal testing. But only the blood will show you the type of white blood cell that is elevated and the type of WBC reduces the range of possibilities.

Cats can dehydrate quickly, thats why i would try giving some wet food given its high % of water and how easily you can add water to it.