Diarrhea feral

Ceegee1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am asking for suggestions in a feral cat that is about 10 yrs old. The person that was feeding her passed away and she has no teeth to find food or teeth to fight other cats. My issue is I brought her to my home and she has chronic diarrhea. I have had her for almost 30 days. I had some blood work done but it will not be back till Tuesday or Wed. I have wormed her and she tested negative for worms. I have added pumpkin, psyllium, RX clay, antibiotic flagyl, probiotic, pepto, nothing has slowed the diarrhea down. She does like to eat but was very malnourished when she came here. I just started her goats milk today she did like it. I also am going to try some bone broth. Does anyone have any suggestions to slow her diarrhea?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume she must have soft foods.,I am wondering about her having Coccidia. Make sure the vet checks for that since older cats can be troubled with it.
For now, check the ingredients in her food. She may be sensitive to one type or another. Try just one type and see if she tolerates it, if not, eliminate that and try only one other. For instance, eliminate fish or eliminate chicken. Try something with less grains. I have cats that don’t do well with certain ingredients. I know it takes time to do a process of elimination but it can be worth the effort. You could try preparing some food for her yourself so you know what she gets. Maybe some boiled chicken? If she does not have trouble with that then you know it’s not the chicken in the food and you can start adding things back. Thank you so much for helping her. You are definitely a lifesaver. Please do keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ceegee1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have her on science diet called digestive, it has no artificial stuff. Believe it or not she prefers to eat kibble. One vet said that her teeth are broken. She is a Siamese which is odd that she was a feral for many years. She acts like she not used to litter box. Makes me wonder if she had irritable bowels which might explain living outside. She pull her hair and grooms herself. I treated her for fleas when she first came, but I still use a flea comb on here because she likes it and I think it might help her coat and hair. I had her checked for feline Leukemia and aids and they came back ok. One of the test we did for worms also included Coccidia or Giardia not sure which one. We have another appointment on a Tuesday. I was sure hoping that this diarrhea would go away by now, I’m hoping for some answers soon ! Thanks for letting me join the cat site!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very glad you joined! :welcomesign:This is a great site and we are always happy to have new members who love kitties!
A Siamese? I love Siamese. I bet she does love being combed. Grooming can be an act of affection for kitties. She knows you love her and that will help her. She may prefer kibble because her tummy is not used to wet food. It can take time for them to adjust to new things and it sounds like she has lots of new things going on. Broken teeth? That could be affecting her health. Make sure the vet checks them and understands her tummy troubles are still going on. That food may be natural but ask the vet if some other might be more easily digested. I hope she improves quickly and I am so glad you saved her. Please do let us know how she is doing as things go along and of any changes. You might want to keep some notes to share with the vet. Keeping records on how much she eats, what she eats and drinks and how much she goes to the bathroom can help the vet to figure out why she is still having issues.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! You are a blessing for that kitty. I, too, love Siamese. I am glad that her tests have turned out well. I jave IBS so I understand the challenges that your new cat is experiencing.
I would give her gut a chance to calm down by eliminating the fiber, especially the psyllium, and feed her either boiled chicken or beef broth that has unflavored Pedialyte added. Chronic diarrhea often causes electrolyte imbalance. You can add white rice broth (congee). After the Flagyl (metronidazole), she will likely benefit from probiotics to rebalance her gut flora. In addition to the regular probiotics, S. Boulardi (the brand name here in the U.S. is Florastor but generic works) can be effective. It usually takes at least several days to see any big improvement. The combing helps emotionally as well as stimulates the lymphatic system and keeps her coat soft. Please keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ceegee1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After reading some of the post it makes me wonder if she has a problem with obstruction or cancer of bowel. When she eats and has a full tummy it looks like the food is in the upper portion of stomach, I never really see the stomach full top and bottom, just the upper portion.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obstruction diarrhea is very watery because only water can get past the "clog". I assume that the veterinarians would have palpated her abdomen as part of the initial exam. Once you have done the bland diet to calm the gut, you will have better answers.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for helping this cat. Coming to your house has probably been the best thing that ever happened to her and she probably can't believe her good luck to have someone care for her.