Diarrhea And Vomiting

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody. My cousin's cat Leo has been sick for aver a week now. It seems bad luck doesn't leave our bloodline :(. (Count was sick before)

Unfortunately I don't have all the details, so I don't know how much asking here will help us, but I will share all I know.

On Feb 24 Leo was here playing with Count, and he vomited badly that day. It turns out he vomited before as well, but not yet discovered at the time. Since we only knew of one vomiting at the time, when they got back home, they decided to observe for a day or two. The next day, when they checked on him they found out that he vomited several times during the night, and had diarrhea, and it was bloody. He had good appetite, but he instantly vomited anything he ate.

They took him to the vet I recommended (Empati Akademi), and they did "a ton of tests" according to her. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what, all I know that there was some sort of a blood test, and an enzyme test. He also had a xray. No problems were found with these tests. He defecated a there uncontrollably during his tests, and it was very watery. He was hospitalized there, and given iv.

He was supposed to stay one day, but needed to stay another. On tuesday he came back. He was lethargic, but happy according to my cousin. He was also given some medicine that is supposed to stop vomiting.

The next day he was hospitalized again because he vomited and had bloody uncontrollable diarrhea. He didn't eat anything or drink water during the night. Again, he was given iv. He came back thursday.

Until today, he didn't vomit again, and the wound on his back from the diarrhea healed a bit. Diarrhea never stopped, and today he vomited several times again. Unfortunately they were out all day, so they just discovered this, and it is 1:00 AM. They will call tomorrow, and probably take him back to the vet.

At this point, I think the logical test to do is endoscopy, but she doesn't want to do this test because it requires anesthesia. I don't know what the vets there will recommend, but I feel like my guess is right. I don't know if she will do it though, she heard some horror stories about anesthesia, and is scared of it.

What do you think the cause may be? Is there any other tests that we should consider?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With only reading this through one time, I have to ask if a Fecal PCR test was done while he was in the hospital...I mean they had plenty of stool to work with, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With only reading this through one time, I have to ask if a Fecal PCR test was done while he was in the hospital...I mean they had plenty of stool to work with, right?
No. But apparently parasites were ruled out with some other test. I don't know if a fecal test is useful for anything else.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The full fecal test looks for bacteria as well. The float fecal tests only for parasites.
That might be useful then, I will tell her. She says bacteria is ruled out too because of the wbc count, but unless I am wrong, if the bacteria is only in the intestines, it won't show up on a blood count.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'd look for possible poisoning (did he eat sth weird recently, like a plant? drug? I'd search through the house) or obstruction. Were liver values ok in the blood work? Nevertheless, I'd do abdominal ultrasound (if the kitty is calm it is possible without sedation) and if it won't give any answers, I'd also repeat X-ray but with contrast (that should indicate a possible blockage, not necessarily visible on the x-ray alone).
Is it possible that his food was changed abruptly, eg. dry food?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can only compare it to people, and not all bacterial infections have to negatively affect the WBC to any real significant degree. I suppose over time that might not be the case.

Keep us posted as you know more.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I'd look for possible poisoning (did he eat sth weird recently, like a plant? drug? I'd search through the house) or obstruction. Were liver values ok in the blood work? Nevertheless, I'd do abdominal ultrasound (if the kitty is calm it is possible without sedation) and if it won't give any answers, I'd also repeat X-ray but with contrast (that should indicate a possible blockage, not necessarily visible on the x-ray alone).
Is it possible that his food was changed abruptly, eg. dry food?
I don't think he ate anything that is not food. They checked their place. But he somehow opened the storage container for his food, and ate a lot. This doesn't feel like it is related though because the problems caused by eating a lot is usually over after vomiting once. At least that is the case when Count eats too much wet food.

Liver values were ok.

I'll mention the ultrasound and contrast xray. They do ultrasound without sedation, I know from experience at this place.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They called the vet yesterday and the vet told them to observe for a few days and it might heal on its own. They asked about all of the tests mentioned here, and their answer was that it was unnecessary at the moment. I guess we will wait and see.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keeping fingers/paws crossed that Leo is OK. Sure wish they would just go ahead with a few tests anyway. Seems kind of stupid to just hope it goes away on it's own, but I hope the vet is right about it. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Keep us posted!!

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Leo vomited blood today. They called the vet and the vet told them to wait and observe (again!). I asked them to try another vet or at least insist on a few more tests, but they refused. I really don't understand what they are thinking. We also had an argument about this so I don't think I will be hearing about the situation anytime soon. I won't be able to update this thread for the same reason. I hope everything will turn out fine, and I will share the news as soon as I hear from them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry that this has happened. My heart goes to Leo for not getting the care he really needs, and to you for caring. Let us know what you can when they tell you something. I just hope it's not bad.