Diarrhea and antiobiotics?

alejandrocarrizales

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I've had one of the more exhausting weeks in my life.

Just a week ago my girl Camita entered the hospital because a severe dehydration caused by a week of diarrhea and vomits. Her diagnosis ranged from an infection to pancreatitis. Fortunately as soon as she was set into fluids her condition got better and she was dispatched from the hospital on monday afternoon. Since then her condition just have gotten better throughout the days. She went from a lethargic state to a playful as she is.

She was sent home with a lot of medications including antibiotics. As soon as she came back home on monday she will always eat and drink. She used her litterbox until wendesday and her stool seem perfectly fine. I carefully watch her stool the next days and it kept just fine, until saturday. Her condition has improved but her stool has become diarrhea.

On the vet they told us to watch her stool and if it didn't got better the will have to perform extra tests to her. But now I'm confused because she actually got better. I'm suspicious about the antiobiotics, they do send her some probiotics to be mixed in her water, usually my other vet would tell me to mix them with some wet food and not on water.

She seems perfectly fine, eats, drinks and plays. Her general condition improved really quickly. So I don't know if the antiobiotics are the ones causing the diarrhea.The antiobiotic she got is Amoxiciline + clavulanic acid.

I would like to know if someone had a similar experience. Her treatment will finish today.

I forgot to mention that her final diagnostic was gastroenteritis with an infection.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine had the same problem the end of last year. Antibiotics for an infection then 10 days later, really bad diarrhoea. My vet gave him metronidazole for 7 days at that cleared it . I also find that as last ng as the diarrhoea is not severe, s boulardii helps firm the stools within a few days.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Antibiotics can cause diarrhea because it messes up the bacteria in the digestive tract, even the good bacteria. Once the antibiotics are done with, the poop should return to normal within a few days. You can give probiotics to help the good bacteria in the digestive tract.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alejandrocarrizales

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much! I also read on a post that exactly this antiobiotic is known for causing diarrhea. Thank you very much for your responses.

I was planning to give her some probiotics with wet food? Is this a good idea or I'll just stick to the dry food?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Just a note about antibiotics and probiotics. Unless you’re giving S. Boulardii probiotics (which is yeast based and apparently unaffected by antibiotics), your antibiotics might kill the good bacteria in the probiotics. Probably best to separate the administration of each by about two hours, either before or after.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much! I also read on a post that exactly this antiobiotic is known for causing diarrhea. Thank you very much for your responses.

I was planning to give her some probiotics with wet food? Is this a good idea or I'll just stick to the dry food?
Antibiotics kill good gut bacteria with the bad gut bacteria. Probiotics given along side of antibiotics is a losing battle. Even if you separate the timing and give probiotics hours apart from antibiotics, the next antibiotic dose will simply kill off the last probiotics dose. (And although I have no scientific evidence for this "back of the napkin" theory, I have always wondered whether probiotics are a distraction to antibiotics which have a job to do regardless of your cat's poo quality.)

You want to use a yeast-based probiotic called saccharomyces boulardii. Because it is yeast-based, it is not killed by the antibiotics. You can give it on its own or with food. Many cats like the taste making it easy to mix into food.

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

This is the recommended brand. You should be able to find it at Whole Foods, Sprouts, Walmart, Vitamin Shoppe, etc. You may have to look in the refrigerated section with the other probiotics even though this one doesn't require refrigeration.

Amazon link (1 day shipping):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013OVW0E/?tag=thecatsite

Vitamin Shoppe (which may have a store local to you):
Vitamin Shoppe