Diarreah Baby

kathid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Baby Bo, who is new to the family for 4 weeks (he's 18 weeks old) has had diarreah for 2 days even though he has been perfectly fine. He was the runt and is tiny (only 4.25 lbs). I'm feeding him kitty dry food (Anthony's from Petsmart) and 9-lives shredded. Do you think it could be the 9lives? He has been eating a tiny bit for the last 4 weeks ... if not better by tomorrow, he's off to the vet, but I'm looking for a few suggestions ... thanks

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your little one is very young yet and it is a good thing to have him checked out since anything can disturbe their little system. My little one (now almost 1 year) had bouts with diarreah as well. What solved it for me is to eliminate wet food - his stool went back to looking like little sausages with in a few days. I now give wet food as a treat once in a while. Good luck to you both

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hi kathid and welcome to the forums,

This could mean any number of things. I agree with Hell603. You should have him checked by the vet. It could be just a reaction to the food, but it could also be worms, or even a virus. Better safe than sorry - get him to the vet.

As for the type of cat food, you may want to read this thread as well:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...p3?threadid=95

Let us know how he's doing!

feral

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our last cat was a striped tabby named Sassy. We rescued her from the pound and had her for about six months. We guess her to be about 10 months in age. From day one she was sick. She had diarrhea on a regular basis. Sassy did not accept any type of food eagerly. We believe she had been a milk-fed cat. After many visits to the vet and much out-of-pocket expenses trying to get her well we had to make the decision to put her down. It broke my heart to have to do this to a cat that I tried to rescue. The vet assumed that she had cancer somewhere in her digestive tract that caused her to have constant diarrhea. We couldn't afford to run the tests to rule out this condition. We did our best to help her. She was a spirited cat to the end.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that

I guess you did all you could do for her... Poor little Sassy

nancyu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WHEN I FIRST GOT MY KITTEN LAST JULY SHE HAD DIARRHEA FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS!! (SHE WAS POOPING IN MY BEDROOM TO BOOT!) I CALLED MY VET AND HE TOLD ME TO FEED HER BABY FOOD(CHICKEN) MIXED WITH A TEASPOON OF KAOPECTATE FOR A FEW DAYS AND NOT TO GIVE HER ANYMORE WET FOOD UNTIL SHE HAD FORMED STOOLS. IT TOOK 4 OR 5 DAYS BUT FINALLY SHE STOPPED WITH THE DIARRHEA.