Diagnosis??

Stephanie36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi-- my parents' 4 year old ragdoll George has been losing weight for a few weeks. Blood results were closed to normal. She was slightly anemic and a few other things just s bit off (not sure what) but nothing much and did not add up to anything. Ultrasound showed no problems. Tonight she's gone downhill and just isn't eating or acting normal. We're worried about lymphoma because her half sister had it. But we're hoping for other diagnoses of course. Anyone have thoughts? Before the past few days weight loss has been the only symptom

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did the vet suspect any other symptoms? Has she been eating anything at all or did she lose appetite?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stephanie36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Appetite has been down. I dont think the vet suspected other symptoms.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going only on the fact the she is anemic and has a loss of appetite, without more information it's hard to really come to any possible conclusions, BUT.....

I think I would get the vet to try and focus on what is causing the anemia. There are a lot of things that can cause anemia other than lymphoma. These are the tests they may perform...
A complete blood count to identify how anemic the cat is and including a reticulocyte count to identify if the cat’s body is responding to the anemia and making new red blood cells*
A blood film to look for parasites and blood cell characteristics
Chemistry tests to evaluate kidney, liver and pancreatic function as well as sugar levels
Electrolyte tests to ensure your cat isn’t dehydrated or suffering from an electrolyte imbalance
A complete urinalysis to rule out urinary tract infections and to evaluate the kidney’s ability to concentrate urine
Specialized tests that can help identify underlying infectious disease (e.g., various titers or PCR testing)

One more thing to consider, do you parents feed him people food? Onions (even if just a little bit for flavor in a broth) for example, are toxic to cats, and onions cause anemia in cats. Many other people foods, essential oils, plants....are toxic, causing serious organ damage.

I really think another vet visit is in order to start ruling out any underlying condition that is causing the anemia and loss of appetite.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition to Jem Jem 's suggestion, have the vet do a fecal sample test. Does the cat has loose stools?

My husband is anemic and suffers from malabsorption in his bowels. He has a tough time keeping his weight steady. He gives himself B12 shots monthly to help out, as well takes iron pills.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you test for pancreatitis? fPL or fPLI on your test results. That’s not a standard test so it often gets overlooked. Took three vets for one of them to test for that with Krista.

Also ask about B-12 if she’s anemic and losing weight. It will be exceedingly difficult to gain weight again if B-12 is deficient. That will need shots, not oral, to correct but also just once a week for four to six weeks so not terrible. If you buy the supplies and do it yourself (after a vet tech shows you how), the cost is very reasonable (less than $100.).

Stephanie36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the advice! It's making me feel better to get some concrete suggestions. My parents vet is wonderful. George was there this morning (no worries on that front...they are frequent visitors there).
They are investigating IBS as a possibility. George is on prednisolone for now and they redid some bloodwork (results in monday). She has been on b12 for 3-4 weeks for the anemia.

Stephanie36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oops...hit post too soon!
Thank you all again. I was stressing out last night because I just dont wsnt to lose another cat yet. We've lost quite a few in the last few years (almost all were older) and george is only 4...

Stephanie36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, she is being tested for pancreatitis. And she does not get any human food. My parents are very careful about that. Their other cat would be much more likely to get I to it. George hasn't been interested in human food since she was a kitten (not that she got any...but she used to try).

Stephanie36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
George's bloodwork all came back the same as a few weeks ago, so that seems good. She does not have pancreatitis. She's on different food now and seems to like it...hopefully her weight goes up. I think itll just be a waiting game for now. Thanks for all the advice!

Stephanie36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We took george in today for a follow up. Bloodwork still about the same. But shes been having quick breathing and discovered she has fever if 105. Shes on antibiotics. Did an xray...vet said it's hard to see her heart, which makes her think there is either fluid in or around lungs or, more likely, a mass in or between her lungs . :( looking at a possible MRI. Not happy :(

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry! Hopefully this will be something that can be treated. Sending you all good thoughts!!!!

Stephanie36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you...I certainly hope it will be treatable too. Ideally (I think) it might be a lump between her lungs that can be removed. Even if it eventually came back, it could be a couple years. Just waiting to hear from Guelph about an emergency MRI.

Stephanie36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shes at guelph OVC now with my parents. They still think there may be a mass in her lungs, but they also think pnemonia. Anyone have experience with pnemonia? Is it possibly to have it for quite a while undiagnosed? They are doing ultrasound tomorrow and proceeding from there.