Diagnosed with CHF and still coughing

mzknme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanting to know if it is normal for a cat that is currently taking Furosemide and Pimobendan to still cough often and breathe hard and shallow?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. No, it would seem not, but then again, we would need to know more details to help. Age, diagnosis, duration of treatments so far, testing and also any re-testing if applicable. Sorry to ask more questions than you ask, but more information could be very helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzknme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. No, it would seem not, but then again, we would need to know more details to help. Age, diagnosis, duration of treatments so far, testing and also any re-testing if applicable. Sorry to ask more questions than you ask, but more information could be very helpful.
Sorry. I'm new at this on here. 7 yr. old Siamese. Enlarged heart. They said Congestive Heart Failure. Level 2. He had fluid in his lungs. He also has heart murmur. Grade 2. If I said that right. Feb. 25th 2022 he started taking Furosemide 12.5mg tablet and Pimobendan 2.5mg tablet every 12 hours. The first month was great. Water retention instantly went down and he had only coughed 4 times in that month of March. Before diagnosed for at least 9 months it started one day and gradually got worse. I thought it was asthma or a hairball stuck. Slowly he looked like he was gaining weight and his anal glands were impacted bad. He wasn't playing and almost passed out a couple times. The coughing episodes those last couple months were every 30 minutes everyday and last about 3-4 minutes. So yea the meds were great at first. Since March the coughing is often along with the fast and shallow breathing. They aren't 24/7 but alot of the time. He moves around alot when trying to get situated to lay down. Can't get comfortable. I did take him to be seen again the other day so i could get some answers. They said lungs sounded good. No fluid. That he will cough and breathe like that even on the meds. I have been thru alot with him in his younger years. It was a nightmare so i just get all the info and facts that I can get. Ya know? I just feel like there is more to this or something. Anyhoo sorry this was a novel. lol Thank You for taking the time to reach out. :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the info!!! I would consider getting a second opinion - maybe even with a vet who specializes in cardiology. Some of the specialty groups have staff with multiple 'talents', so you might want to look for one who either specializes in internal medicine and/or pulmonary disease. At least that way you could see if there were other treatments that your vet is not aware of, or at least confirm what your vet is telling you.

Most vets are aware of specialty groups so you could ask your vet about one; it might be even possible to have the vet consult with a group and share whatever tests your vet has done - before you have to take your cat to them.

Heart murmurs are 'graded' 1 - 6 I think, so 2 doesn't sound terrible; but the CHF aspect is a bit harder for me to comment on as it does somewhat depend on the chamber of the heart that is involved.

mzknme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was a mess that day when they told me all that stuff but the left side comes to mind. Not pumping or something like that., I have the paperwork from the day that he was evaluated. Bloodwork results. I enrolled him in a Wellness Plan. It was everything I needed to get him the help that day and money wise. Honestly I really don't have the extra money for another opinion.That thought has crossed my mind for sure. I've asked every question in the book because I like facts. Some answers left me a bit unsure. Noone is perfect I know. I text chatted on the app one day, when the coughing and breathing started back up again. Sent a video and a short story of his situation. That responce was to take him in immediately for an x-ray for possible fluid in lungs and NO he should not be having those issues while on that medication. I don't even want to put Revolution Plus on him. He goes outside at times. My gut tells me I shouldn't.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Search for specialty vets and perhaps even call to ask for some information about charges and their routines (will they consult with a vet and how much, what does an exam cost, will they use information from tests that other vets have run - at least initially), just so you know what you would be dealing with if you could find a way to afford it.

But, to start off with, you could at least ask your vet about a specialty vet and how they would deal with them. Did your vet perform an echocardiogram? Seems like the best approach to determining the exact condition, and probable treatments, of your little guy's heart. If that wasn't done, I would at least look into it.

If you have family (or even close friends) that might be willing to loan you the money - it might be worth it to ask them. Whatever you do, please keep us posted.

mzknme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The paper says "the heart is enlarged on radiographs(3 views) and a small amount of fluid is accumulating in his lungs. This Is causing his coughing and exercise intolerance." The pic is notes from last visit on May this month.

Attachments

mzknme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will search for a specialty vet for sure. I took him to a specialty vet before when he was young and she retired. Round 2 here I come. lol. I thank you very much for being soo kind and helpful. I love animals soo much. He has had it rough from the start as a baby. I just want to give him a happy life. I'll keep you posted. Have a good day!!!!