Diabetic, Stage 2 Renal Failure, And Now Urinary Incontinence

rainbowbowzey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girl Gracie is 18 and in the upper (just under stage 3) renal failure treated with diet and medication. She is also diabetic and treated with insulin and has arthritis.

About 6 months ago we paid several thousands to get her teeth cleaned under anesthesia and she recovered fairly well from that procedure despite the risks of possibly not making it through. The vet at the time recommended we euthanise her because of the risk of surgery, her conditions, and her age but i just didn't feel it was the right time because she was still happy, cognizant, active and wanting to do stuff, and had full control over her bowels . She was doing much better for several months after this.

At this point over the past 6 weeks or so she's having frequent urinary tract infections and overly diluted urine (i'm having to replace the entire litter box every 4 days because she's urinating so much). She's been on and off medications, probiotics, etc.

She's often yowling when urinating. Just this morning she peed on the floor outside her litter box for the second time and may have permanently damaged our wood floor (which my husband is incredibly angry at me for and this has been causing us a tremendous amount of marital stress).

It just feels like she's been dealing with either constipation or loose stools which require i either bathe her back end entirely or wipe her down several times a day - or - she's peeing painfully and reluctant to use her box -or- she's crying when drinking water/eating because of the nausea -or- i'm having to groom her excessively. She has a hard time grooming herself and her ears are constantly getting nasty and clogged up and itchy. No mites, she just produces a bunch of wax (which i clean every 2-3 days) which means she's in constant twitchy ear mode.

If she's not doing any of these things she's pretty much just relaxing and laying down or peering out the windows. She doesn't do much else.

At this point it's my understanding that quality of life for her will continue to decline and that even if we continue to treat her that she still will have these underlying issues (nausea, urine concentration problems, constipation, itchy ears, need for insulin 2x a day, and lethargy). She's already been in renal failure for over 2.5 years and her numbers keep getting worse every 3 months check up.

Can some people offer me some feedback on this situation? I am starting to reach the stage where i am questioning whether i might be prolonging her life selfishly. My husband believes that we should have euthanized her when her teeth needed cleaning and is constantly guilt tripping me about her damaging our brand new home. It's hard for me to look at the situation objectively because there's times she's laying down that she just seems to peaceful and i don't want to feel like i made the decision because of pressure from him and my vet but i also don't want to kill her unnecessarily early.

Can someone offer me advice? I am not looking for people to make the decision for me, but i just seriously cannot decide on my own without feeling excessive guilt and a sense of duty to take care of and love her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rainbowbowzey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess i should also say that she pretty much wants to be by my side 24/7 and doesn't actually do any kind of activity on her own anymore. Six months ago i didn't think it was the right time... but i woke up this morning and just intuitively kind of felt that offering her the gift of the good death may be better than her continuing on as she is.

Part of me feels guilty and wonders if i'm only feeling this way because my husband is so upset that she's damaging a brand new apartment/furniture/rugs which are costing us thousands to repair. OR if i'm just finally starting to see that her prognosis for improvement just isn't very good and things will only get worse over time with regards to her elimination habits, her nausea, etc.

sorry... i'm typing this with tears in my eyes because i just feel so alone in this decision.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I know sickness and loss all to well with cats and kittens :( its hard on us and them. If it was my choice is give her the honor of letting go. Shes probably in a lot of discomfort now. Especially if ahes going out of the box. Cats have a very very high tolerance for pain so if she's yowling it's certainly painful. That means bad associations with the box and more accidents to come. I'd say give her the best last day ever all the snacks and loving in the whole whole world.
If you choose not to yet try a different style box with different litter to get her back in the box it might be a temperary fix. She wont have any bad associations with that one for the time being and maybe place puppy pads down to protect the floors!
I wish you luck with your choice no matter what I know it will hurt, and if you need a shoulder im here if you need

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you a member of the Feline Diabetes group? They are by far the experts for all things diabetes Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB
I'd also strongly suggest that you join the Tanya's Renal cats group - they again, are the experts on that topic and can help provide you with support and guidance.
I have a diabetic cat who is currently a regulated diabetic which means that I have her OFF insulin. I also had a cat with renal disease and who had frequent UTI's. I would suggest with the UTI's it's absolutely critical to get the Urine tested and sent to be cultured. The culture will come back and tell you the exact bacteria you are dealing with and the best antibiotic to treat it. What we ended up doing was antibiotic pulse therapy for her where she would get antibiotics for 1 week out of the month. This helped keep the UTI's controlled. My vet was also really good and gave me a broad antibiotic to have at home incase something happened over the weekend and I noticed she had blood in her urine to at least get her some immediate treatment.
Another thing I really really swore by was a brand called standard Process Renal supplements for cats - I gave this to my girl crushed up into her wet food 2x per day AM and PM and I swear this helped keep her from progressing in her kidney disease. Standard Process - Feline Renal Support
Tanya's group will help you with suggestions on nausea meds and appetite stimulants etc.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honey, I am so, so sorry this is happening, my heart is wrapped around you both.

More than likely that wood can be replaced or restained, whether it's laminate or not.

If you dont have any, there are enzymatic cleaners that take care of the rest.
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions

Somehow, if you can find a place in your heart so you're able to not react to your hubs, she needs as much peace and calmness as possible. Try playing some classical harp music, it'll help you both.

When Is It Time? - Making The Difficult Decision

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
...just tell him if you go through this much for the cat, just think what you'll do for him when it's his time.
:rolleyes3:
:agree: