Dexterity In Cats

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I'm curious about your cat's fine motor coordination. Mizu is NOT polydactyl but she seems to have excellent dexterity when I compare her to Raja. Mizu learned how to open cabinets about six months ago (and we have secured them for safety.) She is able to catch a toy spring in mid air with one paw but usually two. She is able to pick up utensils and hold them. She is capable of picking up small, lightweight objects with her paw to examine them. When she eats, she scoops up food with her paw and licks it as if it's a spoon. Is this typical or is Raja just not as adept?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just more adept than others. Whether that is physically or mentally they seem to have a better ability to manipulate their environment or their people. The tiniest of my cats who never hit six pounds was blazingly smart and could problem solve to get what she wanted. For example after trying and failing to push or pull down the toilet cover so she could sit on it she learned to wedge her head between the cover and the tank and use her head to push the cover down.

Your girl sounds like she is also a smart one. She has figured out her paws are useful tools and is learning their many uses.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Cats come in all shapes, sizes, and creativity! Tawny used to be able to neatly open Tender Vittles packages without making a mess (and leave half for another time). He also retrieved (no, I didn't teach him) and could jump up and bat down objects thrown at him. Gracie could open doors (that somehow she knew weren't completely shut) with her paws, and she knocked on the ones that were shut. She also knew to beg for water drips from our hands so we would stick them outside the shower door.

Whereas, my poor baby Feeby does none of that stuff. Well, she does scoop up water to drink from her paw - but I thought that might just be laziness!! But, I love her just the same.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Maine Coon use to push down on the water cooler lever (before we got a new one with buttons) and would get himself a drink. I've also seen him hold an item in his front paw and walk away on three legs. He can also not only open doors but managed to unlock one once. We had him locked in our bedroom awaiting his neutering, he unlocked the door and got to the young female I also had that hadn't been spayed yet. :doh:

His daughter can also open doors if they can reach the handle, though they have been known to climb the door frame to reach the door handle too. They can also turn on and off the taps in the bathroom. They all seem to use their paws as hands when needed, like scooping food and water up or catching toys. I have baby locks on some cabinets because of my 10 cats I know for sure at least 6 can open them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tawny used to be able to neatly open Tender Vittles packages without making a mess (and leave half for another time).
That's really cool (and potentially a problem!) so I'm glad she hasn't figured that one out. She can jump up and bat things in mid air and open any door that isn't fully shut. She figured out the cabinets by using a combination of tapping on them and getting them to bounce just slightly and getting a paw in between at just the right time. Raja sounds a bit like Feeby! Raja will tattle on Mizu when she's doing things she isn't supposed to. She will sit and stare at the space and look back at me like "can you believe her?"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They can also turn on and off the taps in the bathroom.
Oh Lord, that is my biggest fear. It isn't a matter of IF it is a matter of
WHEN. She pays attention to everything and I can just see the gears turning in her mind as she tries to figure it out!