Dewormer

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need help. I gave my cat a dewormer (for tapeworms). Its a liquid that you mix into their food or water. Today was day 2 and tonight i noticed that she is besides herself. She doesnt want to be pet and just lays down mostly. She had an energy burst where she played for a bit and then she laid down again. She is eating but about half of what she usually does, she is drinking water but not as much as i would like. I am really worried about her and that she might be sick. I really do not have the funds to take her to the vet (i know it sucks and i wish i could) but with that said i want to help her as much as i can from home. I am not going to give her anymore of the dewormer. Any advice please?

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you still have the container the dewormer came in? If you do, see if you had administered it correctly and read the warnings.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi D Danel and welcome to the site.
That product comes up as being restricted in Australia, and I do wonder why. I'm concerned that it contains cloves.. they are toxic for cats, as is mint (with the exception of catnip and cat mint) Also if I google the website in it's latest form, there is no mention of this product.
Please do not give your girl any more of this treatment. Keep an eye on her. Encourage her to drink.
If things do not improve you may have to take her to a vet.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
D Danel

I found this online

High quantities of cloves or clove oil are dangerous to pets because they contain eugenols, according to Patton Veterinary Hospital. Eugenols can cause liver toxicity in cats, including symptoms like vomiting, seizures, and staggering

Also mint poisoning is known to cause weakness, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea

Mint Poisoning in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

There is a pet poison hotline you can call in the US for advice.

Animal Poison Control

Please keep us posted, I hope she'll be OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! She seems better this morning (she didnt have any last night). She is a little more affectionate and hungry! But i will be keeping a close eye on her! I feel lik a complete 💩 for giving this to her

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you everyone! She seems better this morning (she didnt have any last night). She is a little more affectionate and hungry! But i will be keeping a close eye on her! I feel lik a complete 💩 for giving this to her
Please don't feel bad.. you weren't to know.
Let us know how she's going. :)

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When she is feeling all better in a couple of days what can i give her for tapeworms. I am pretty sure she has them cause i find little dried larvae (sorry if its the wrong word) that look like little brown rice grains on her bedding even though i change it often?

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Because I'm in Australia I'll repost some advice that Sarthur2 Sarthur2 gave in another thread:

You should be able to get praziquantel and/or pyrantel pamoate without a vet prescription. Either will kill tapeworms, but be careful to give the correct dose, and a second dose 7-10 days later to cover the life cycle of the tapeworms.

Tapeworms come from ingesting a flea, so be sure to treat her with a topical flea treatment such as Advantage II for cats or Frontline for cats to deal with the fleas. Vacuum floors and wash bedding to kill flea eggs and larvae.

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this treatment safe even if she is n nursing mom. Her kittens are 8 days old.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For a nursing mother cat, I would talk to a vet before deworming her with ANYTHING, even "natural" dewormers as it can go to the kittens as well and possibly hurt them as they're so little. Also try not to be hard on yourself you're clearly learning and your in the right place with the right people to do that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get Bayer Tapeworm Tabs at farm stores and I think even at Walmart. It's not super cheap but not crazy expensive either (around $5 a pill). But it's safe and effective. Follow the directions closely. I don't know about giving it to nursing mothers; if you don't see instructions on the bottle you should contact the company to ask.

Since she isn't feeling well, wait a week or two before giving more dewormer. The worms shouldn't cause problems in that time.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can get Bayer Tapeworm Tabs at farm stores and I think even at Walmart. It's not super cheap but not crazy expensive either (around $5 a pill). But it's safe and effective. Follow the directions closely. I don't know about giving it to nursing mothers; if you don't see instructions on the bottle you should contact the company to ask.

Since she isn't feeling well, wait a week or two before giving more dewormer. The worms shouldn't cause problems in that time.
True, while worms are gross, they usually aren't something that needs super urgent care. They should be treated in a timely manner, but the treatment can wait until she's feeling totally better.

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thnaks to everyones advice! I called a vet and they recomended i pit revolution between het shoulder blades to treat any fleas/flea eggs that might be causing the worms and then Drontal as a dewormer. They said both are safe to use on nursing cats. She is doing much better. She has begun to ask for attention again and is somewhat more active!

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you still have the container the dewormer came in? If you do, see if you had administered it correctly and read the warnings.
It said safe for use on cats and kittens and i only gave her half a dropper once a day when the say once to twice🙈☺