Deworm pregnant cat - updated!

ibrano15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I want to know if I can deworm a pregnant cat "in her last week"?
I've noticed some tapeworms today in her's poop
So please tell me

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is safe to do so. Tape worms result from ingesting a flea, so it’s also safe to put a tube of Advantage II between her shoulder blades to kill fleas. Fleas can quickly cause anemia in tiny kittens so have a flea comb on hand and observe closely. :)

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dewormed my pregnant cat in her last week of pregnancy, it was a spot on treatment which kills all types of worms. Be careful of the tablets, the drotal ones i usually give are not suitable for pregnant or nursing queens it states on the instructions.
Also best to treat her now has worms can transfer from her milk to nursing kittens and you don't want that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eww. That's not discharge; that's dead worms :eek2: . Well at least they're out of her system before the babies get here, yuck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ibrano15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Eww. That's not discharge; that's dead worms :eek2: . Well at least they're out of her system before the babies get here, yuck.
Oh god! Can it get to me? I hope it’s not the dangerous type

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll need to give her another dose in ten days. It will kill any that have not developed in the life cycle.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also I feel like they’re underweight, correct me if I’m wrong
Have you weighed them? They appear to be full-term and average size, just from looks.

Do you have a small kitchen/postal scale? You should weigh them once a day, at the same time every day, to make sure they're gaining steadily. Weighing in grams is more accurate than weighing in ounces. They should be around 100 grams/4 ounces at birth.

ibrano15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They’re fine now, nursing well and mummy is good
Mummy is long haired with same colour as them so can anyone tell if they’re going to be long haired or not?
We don’t know who’s daddy

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If any are girls, that means daddy cat was red too. No way to tell if they're all male (males only get one red/black color gene, from their mother).

I don't see any signs that any of them will be longhaired, although sometimes it takes a while before it's obvious. But if the daddy cat didn't carry the longhair gene, none of them will be longhaired. If he did carry that gene, and she's longhaired, about half of them will be longhaired.

Last edited:

ibrano15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If any are girls, that means daddy cat was red too. No way to tell if they're all male (males only get one red/black color gene, from their mother).

I don't see any signs that any of them will be longhaired, although sometimes it takes a while before it's obvious. But if the daddy cat didn't carry the longhair gene, none of them will be longhaired. If he did carry that gene, and she's longhaired, about half of them will be longhaired.
Mummy is long hair, I believe that Moon “cat in pic” is their daddy
So what do u think?

Attachments

ibrano15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Plz help! one of the kitten has bleeding around umbilical cord
What to do?

ibrano15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you post a picture? Is there a tear? How much bleeding? How is the kitten acting?
I couldn’t even take a pic, no tear and no pain
The kitten is nursing well and bleeding stopped quickly
She’s 2 days old now