Devastating Loss, Reflecting On The Situation...

littleboxer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. It's unfortunate that I found this site under these sad circumstances, but this seems like an amazing group of people here. I hope to continue to participate on this site in the future.

My family just recently lost our kitty. I am an absolute mess right now, and hopefully by me just posting this it will ease the pain a little, but what I am really looking for are people that have had a similar experience, and thoughts/opinions on how the situation was handled......even if you haven't been through a similar situation. I'm always a quiet person when it comes to this stuff, but maybe expressing my thoughts to a group of people that I don't know may help.

First off, this post will be EXTREMELY long, as well as personal and involving very sensitive topics. I'm going to try to divide it into paragraphs, so if you feel like just skimming over certain paragraphs and skipping on to the next......you won't hurt my feelings. And admins, if there is anything that seems out of line feel free to edit(or move) the post. I'd like to not go into a ton of detail, but I feel that it may be necessary to see if other people have experienced the same thing. Excuse all the background info. You can scroll towards the end if you desire

So about 5 years ago one of my older aunts passed away and left behind a cat. “Pretty kitty” was her name, and she was roughly 3 years old at the time. My mom wanted to take her home. I was extremely hesitant at first, but we did end up keeping the cat. This was my immediate family’s first pet. I grew up with my grandparent’s dog, who eventually had to be put to sleep (I don’t believe he passed from any specific health condition, just old age). Because I wasn’t SUPER attached to the dog (because I didn’t live with it) his passing wasn’t as devastating. Nonetheless, that was one of the reasons why I didn’t want to keep the cat at first……because I didn’t want to deal with getting attached to a pet, then living through its passing.

Anyways, so we got the cat. It took her a little while to get used to us, but she quickly became a huge part of our family and our everyday lives. We actually named her Boxer. I know, not your normal female cat name haha. But she really was our little boxer, sometimes sitting up and then boxing with us. It was all in good fun, and I truly think she enjoyed us getting her a little riled up every now and then. When she didn’t want to play any longer, she would walk away. Then ten minutes later she’d hop up on one of our laps and take a nap. She was a great cat, and would often greet us when we got home. My mom would also call her Mitten, so she went by a few nick names.

Two years ago my mom passed away from cancer. The cat was her “distraction.” And after she passed, the cat kinda became my (and my dad’s and brother’s) distraction as well. Something to look forward to when getting home from a day out and about, or a week away at school, etc. My brother and I would fight to be the first one in the house to greet the cat. And if she wasn’t there by the door, it was often a race to see who could find her first (sometimes she'd be napping on a chair or something).

She has always been a healthy cat, at least on the outside, and had her annual vet visits and associated shots. Now maybe once or twice every couple months she would throw up, and it always looked like her food just mushed together. Never thought of it as an issue, since it wasn’t a regular occurrence and she would always be back to normal pretty much immediately afterwards, and go about her day.

Fast forward to about 2 months ago. One day she threw up, and according to my dad it was a little pinkish. Almost like there was some blood in it. This occurred on a Friday or Saturday, and because our normal vet wasn’t available on weekends we figured we’d wait until the following Monday and see how she was. Well, that weekend she definitely seemed “off.” Hiding more than she normally would, and just seemed a little bit slower. Monday arrives, and she is back to her normal self. Almost just like she had a little cold that came and went, though I knew something wasn't right.

Exactly a week later, she went back to her hiding and slow habits. We joked around saying that she’s just taking the Saturday off. And of course, she was back to normal on Sunday and Monday. I really regret not taking her to the vet, but we really thought she was fine. Now for the next month or so she did seem to be slightly slower than normal, but nothing crazy. She still ate and drank water fine, looked out the window for other critters like she always would, etc. She was an indoor cat.

Fast forward again to two Fridays ago (Feb 9). My brother and I arrived home late that afternoon from being away at school for two weeks. I walked in the door and was greeted by the cat, and noticed that she lost a lot of weight, and her lack of interest towards food was pretty evident. But otherwise she still seemed pretty alert. To my dad it may not have seemed as dramatic, or at least more gradual, but since I hadn’t seen her for two weeks the weight loss was extremely noticeable to me. My dad said she had also dry-heaved a couple times. He had scheduled an appointment for the following Monday(because the vet is closed on weekends). That evening(still Friday) the cat tried to jump on this one little table we have for her to look out the window. She missed. She just didn’t have the strength. That was the last straw for us, and we immediately called the emergency vet office and drove her down. After blood tests and an x-ray, the vet said that the signs were pointing to stomach cancer, until proven otherwise. The next step would have been an ultrasound. So after a couple shots(for dehydration and appetite, I believe) she improved a tad bit over the weekend, or at least remained stable.

Monday rolled around and my dad took her to our normal vet(I was back at college). The vet there said it could be stomach cancer or possibly irritable bowel syndrome(I believe). And an ultrasound would confirm…but obviously wouldn’t fix the issue. So they decided to just give her steroids, which supposedly would ease things regardless of what the issue was, and he would report back later that week. Her feeding habit improved ever so slightly, but remained pretty much the same, and that was only the beginning half of the week.

I come home from school Friday evening (this past Friday) and notice that the situation hasn’t improved. And things weren’t looking good. She would still walk around (with a very slight wobble which wasn’t there before), and eat a bite or two of food out of our hands. Then she completely lost all interest in food, even her favorite treats. She seemed very weak. We had another appointment with our normal vet office scheduled for Tuesday (tomorrow) to re-assess the situation.

Saturday morning I got up and she was the same. I had something going on during the day, so I went about my business then returned in the evening. Again, she was very weak and seemed to have gotten worse. She even threw up, but this time it was white, which I have never seen before. We usually keep her food and litter box in the basement, but at this point we had it on the main level so she wouldn’t have to go downstairs and risk falling. And for this reason we closed the basement door. Despite that, she went and hung out in front of the basement door. She wanted to go down, so my dad opened the door and walked her down.

Next she just decided to hide in little spots….walking ever so slowly. I would go down and hang out with her, pet her, talk to her, etc. She went from one fairly accessible spot, to a much harder to reach spot where I could barely reach her to pet her with just my fingertips. She sat in her “cat loaf” position with her eyes slightly closed, head down a bit. Something she would do when perfectly healthy (but sleepy), but also something she would do when not feeling well. Something wasn’t right. With that said, she never made any sounds of pain. She kept quiet, other than some slight purring when I pet her. I knew things were heading south, but didn’t know it would happen this fast and dramatically. The difference between Friday and Saturday was very noticeable. After I attempted to pet her, I said something like “c’mon up, let’s go upstairs” just to try to get her going. We would often say that to her, maybe pat our hands our our legs, and she would sometimes follow us up. I went upstairs, laid on the couch, and watched TV for about an hour. Since she was obviously hiding, I figured it was best to give her a little alone time, and then I would check on her a few more times before going to bed.

That was the last time I saw her alive. After about an hour (probably a little less, actually) I went downstairs to check on her and there she was…..laying out in the open next to her hiding spot. Laying on her side, with her legs out, and eyes open. She was cold and not breathing. Yesterday morning morning my dad and I drove her to the emergency vet for cremation.

Finding her like that was a stab in the gut. I’d like to think she passed painlessly while trying to sleep, though that probably wasn’t the case. That was a pretty rare sleeping position for her, but not a position she hasn’t slept in before. Did she purposely, gently lie down for the last time, or did she fall down while trying to walk to another spot? Not knowing, and not being there when she passed has me sick to my stomach. I WANTED to be there, and comfort her, but wasn’t. She was alone. Her thin, frail body lying on the cold basement carpet.

I feel like if she was still around for that Tuesday appointment, the vet probably would’ve suggested putting her to sleep. Which we would have been fine with. She was in such terrible shape. But SHOULD we have taken her to the emergency vet on Friday or Saturday to put her to rest? Thinking back now, that may have been the best option. But we had no clue she would deteriorate that fast. And we didn’t have much time to process it, and figured “we’ll see how she is in a couple days.” Obviously that appointment in a couple days no longer exists. Additionally, I’m not sure she would’ve lasted the trip to the vet Saturday evening. I don’t know if putting her through that trauma would have been the right thing to do either. Having her pass during the car ride would have been just as terrible as her passing in the basement. Or having her suffer at the vet, because it was only a matter of hours……she was already in a lot of pain(I assume, like I said she never made any sounds). Thoughts??

Also, should we have taken her in a month back when the initial signs began? Well, I know we should have, but what good really would it have done? Possibly drag out the process for another couple months, and then she would eventually still reach those final stages of weight loss, weakness, etc. From the reading I’ve done, the survival rate for stomach cancer is extremely low, and there’s nothing you can really do once it advances. It would happen eventually, whether a couple days ago or a month or two from now. Any thoughts on this? Is this reasonable thinking? I'm just trying to find some comfort in our decision(or lack of decisions).

Why we didn’t take her in sooner……I think it was a mix of us not having any prior pet experience, and also the whole “this will never happen to us” and “she’ll bounce back” mindsets. Boy were we wrong, and it's something we'll have to live with.

Losing my mom was the hardest thing I’ve ever lived through. I don’t wish it on anyone. The news of her not having much time left was the worst day of my life, but her actually passing was more of a relief. The doctors made sure she was comfortable, and she was on enough pain meds for her to slip away peacefully. But in the case of our little kitty, everything happened so fast, and it was so hard to plan what to do next. Seeing her weak self, hiding in the dark basement, then finding her just lying there…..I don’t wish that on anyone either.

Has ANYBODY lost their cat in a similar way? Again I apologize if this was too detailed, and some of the visualizations are extremely uneasy. I'm sorry. But maybe hearing from someone that lived through something similar with their cat will help. Or maybe my story will help them know that we share a similar experience.

I try to think of all the happy moments, but then think of how her last moments were lived, and how everything played out Saturday night. I’m so sick to my stomach. She did not deserve to pass in that fashion.

Anyways, that is all. Hopefully none of you shed the tears that I have while writing this. She was truly an amazing cat. Such a joy to have around.

Take care everyone...

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm glad you're here. I made some mistakes when we lost our Maine coon sweetie as well, but we learn, bless their hearts.
She knew you loved her, even to the point of giving her access to the basement, --that was what she wanted. She may have actually chosen to go when you weren't there. :rbheart: RIP darling baby

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the loss of Pretty Kitty. Hind sight is always 20/20 and cats are very good at hiding illness. Sometimes the signs are easy to dismiss. Please don't torture yourself with should haves and if onlys. You loved her and cared for her the best you could. It is so hard to lose a beloved cat companion no matter how it happens. Remember her with love and your heart will start to heal. :vibes:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you all had to experience that, but you did the best that you could with what you had, even if you had gone to the vet earlier she was probably too far advanced to have saved and even if they would have tried the stress on her and you all would have been awful. We lost Simon to stomach cancer May 2014, he declined quickly and I'll never forget him throwing up a huge amount of green bile on the kitchen floor, he got very sick very fast and no amount of care could have saved him, and holding him in my arms when they out him down, well, that was one of the worst feelings I ever had, but he needed to leave his pain ridden body just like Boxer did, and she made the decision for you and probably passed peacefully away from you as they will do.

She was very much loved and cared for, what you are feeling now is the normal grief which can play mental and physical games with you, "I should have seen this sooner", "We should have done this or that" are all things we think because we blame ourselves, we are responsible for them but sometimes it is out of our hands, and they have a shorter life span than us but no matter how many years we have them is not enough, but you loved her and she you, you did a wonderful thing taking her in all those years ago, don't be so hard on yourself, the pain will dull but it takes a long time.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All those doubts, all that guilt, all those should haves could haves, are all a part of the grieving process. Each and every one of us has gone there, because dying peacefully in the sleep at an old age is so very rare. I lost my Burt last fall, he had most of the symptoms your describe, including a large tumor in his stomach. He quit eating too, and to watch him waste away was a nightmare. But he was so traumatized by vet visits, we assured him he could die at home, we could give him that comfort at least.
Your sweet little girl died at home. She wasn't alone, she was surrounded by your love, where she felt so comfortable. She was where she wanted to be. She sensed you were near, she sensed your concern and care.
Try not to dwell on the end, it brings nothing but heartache and tears. We cannot change the past,we only have the present because tomorrow is never guaranteed. It is as we make it. She was in your life for a reason, she brought you joy and happiness and followed along your own life journey for a while. Death is a part of that journey. None of us will escape it, and that is why living it as fully as possible is so important. Don't live it filled with remorse and sadness, with memories of things you cannot change.
Remember her as your little 'Boxer', as the beautiful calico she was. What she gave you in life is so much more, so much more important, than dwelling on her death. Celebrate having her in your life. Just as you would want for her if you were the first to go, fill your life with sunshine and joy once more. She would be the last one to want you to be unhappy. Love is like that, and the bond you built with that little girl can never be taken from you. It is spiritual, so eternal. Her little soul will always parallel your own life's journey now, until the day it crosses once more.
My heart goes out to you. The loss of your mother is overwhelming and so deep, and now this loss will compound the grief and bring up all those bad feelings. It takes a long time to work through all these feelings, to get to a place where peace can enter your soul once more.
There will always be a sense of loss, an ache in your heart, because you lost them from your life. But you have your precious memories of happier times to bring yourself comfort, and you have the knowledge that they are at peace now, never forgotten from this earth. Forever held securely in a family's heart that will love them forever, until the end of time. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, special prayers for your mom and Boxer, and healing vibes to you and all those you love who are left behind. Take care.......RIP beautiful Boxer. Please send what comfort you can on the pure light from the new star in the heavens that is you. You will be so terribly missed in the lives of those who love you so much. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again. Goodnight, sleep tight, little princess!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that your first experience with a cat had to end this way...
Yes, you should have taken her to the vet sooner, but it wouldn't have changed anything. Cats are very good at hiding their conditions and when you notice that something is not right then it's already too late.
You would have prolonged her life for some weeks or months, but she would have probably suffered longer.

Do not beat yourself up for what you have done and what you haven't, because there will always be something that you haven't done.

She's still with you, even if you don't see her. She knows you have loved her and she is happy to have spent her life with you.
You are wrong on something, though, we always shed some tears on others' beloved cats who passed away. This happens because we have a heart, and we have known the same pain as yours.

RIP Boxer, no more pain in your soft belly now.

Mylittlepony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. It's unfortunate that I found this site under these sad circumstances, but this seems like an amazing group of people here. I hope to continue to participate on this site in the future.

My family just recently lost our kitty. I am an absolute mess right now, and hopefully by me just posting this it will ease the pain a little, but what I am really looking for are people that have had a similar experience, and thoughts/opinions on how the situation was handled......even if you haven't been through a similar situation. I'm always a quiet person when it comes to this stuff, but maybe expressing my thoughts to a group of people that I don't know may help.

First off, this post will be EXTREMELY long, as well as personal and involving very sensitive topics. I'm going to try to divide it into paragraphs, so if you feel like just skimming over certain paragraphs and skipping on to the next......you won't hurt my feelings. And admins, if there is anything that seems out of line feel free to edit(or move) the post. I'd like to not go into a ton of detail, but I feel that it may be necessary to see if other people have experienced the same thing. Excuse all the background info. You can scroll towards the end if you desire

So about 5 years ago one of my older aunts passed away and left behind a cat. “Pretty kitty” was her name, and she was roughly 3 years old at the time. My mom wanted to take her home. I was extremely hesitant at first, but we did end up keeping the cat. This was my immediate family’s first pet. I grew up with my grandparent’s dog, who eventually had to be put to sleep (I don’t believe he passed from any specific health condition, just old age). Because I wasn’t SUPER attached to the dog (because I didn’t live with it) his passing wasn’t as devastating. Nonetheless, that was one of the reasons why I didn’t want to keep the cat at first……because I didn’t want to deal with getting attached to a pet, then living through its passing.

Anyways, so we got the cat. It took her a little while to get used to us, but she quickly became a huge part of our family and our everyday lives. We actually named her Boxer. I know, not your normal female cat name haha. But she really was our little boxer, sometimes sitting up and then boxing with us. It was all in good fun, and I truly think she enjoyed us getting her a little riled up every now and then. When she didn’t want to play any longer, she would walk away. Then ten minutes later she’d hop up on one of our laps and take a nap. She was a great cat, and would often greet us when we got home. My mom would also call her Mitten, so she went by a few nick names.

Two years ago my mom passed away from cancer. The cat was her “distraction.” And after she passed, the cat kinda became my (and my dad’s and brother’s) distraction as well. Something to look forward to when getting home from a day out and about, or a week away at school, etc. My brother and I would fight to be the first one in the house to greet the cat. And if she wasn’t there by the door, it was often a race to see who could find her first (sometimes she'd be napping on a chair or something).

She has always been a healthy cat, at least on the outside, and had her annual vet visits and associated shots. Now maybe once or twice every couple months she would throw up, and it always looked like her food just mushed together. Never thought of it as an issue, since it wasn’t a regular occurrence and she would always be back to normal pretty much immediately afterwards, and go about her day.

Fast forward to about 2 months ago. One day she threw up, and according to my dad it was a little pinkish. Almost like there was some blood in it. This occurred on a Friday or Saturday, and because our normal vet wasn’t available on weekends we figured we’d wait until the following Monday and see how she was. Well, that weekend she definitely seemed “off.” Hiding more than she normally would, and just seemed a little bit slower. Monday arrives, and she is back to her normal self. Almost just like she had a little cold that came and went, though I knew something wasn't right.

Exactly a week later, she went back to her hiding and slow habits. We joked around saying that she’s just taking the Saturday off. And of course, she was back to normal on Sunday and Monday. I really regret not taking her to the vet, but we really thought she was fine. Now for the next month or so she did seem to be slightly slower than normal, but nothing crazy. She still ate and drank water fine, looked out the window for other critters like she always would, etc. She was an indoor cat.

Fast forward again to two Fridays ago (Feb 9). My brother and I arrived home late that afternoon from being away at school for two weeks. I walked in the door and was greeted by the cat, and noticed that she lost a lot of weight, and her lack of interest towards food was pretty evident. But otherwise she still seemed pretty alert. To my dad it may not have seemed as dramatic, or at least more gradual, but since I hadn’t seen her for two weeks the weight loss was extremely noticeable to me. My dad said she had also dry-heaved a couple times. He had scheduled an appointment for the following Monday(because the vet is closed on weekends). That evening(still Friday) the cat tried to jump on this one little table we have for her to look out the window. She missed. She just didn’t have the strength. That was the last straw for us, and we immediately called the emergency vet office and drove her down. After blood tests and an x-ray, the vet said that the signs were pointing to stomach cancer, until proven otherwise. The next step would have been an ultrasound. So after a couple shots(for dehydration and appetite, I believe) she improved a tad bit over the weekend, or at least remained stable.

Monday rolled around and my dad took her to our normal vet(I was back at college). The vet there said it could be stomach cancer or possibly irritable bowel syndrome(I believe). And an ultrasound would confirm…but obviously wouldn’t fix the issue. So they decided to just give her steroids, which supposedly would ease things regardless of what the issue was, and he would report back later that week. Her feeding habit improved ever so slightly, but remained pretty much the same, and that was only the beginning half of the week.

I come home from school Friday evening (this past Friday) and notice that the situation hasn’t improved. And things weren’t looking good. She would still walk around (with a very slight wobble which wasn’t there before), and eat a bite or two of food out of our hands. Then she completely lost all interest in food, even her favorite treats. She seemed very weak. We had another appointment with our normal vet office scheduled for Tuesday (tomorrow) to re-assess the situation.

Saturday morning I got up and she was the same. I had something going on during the day, so I went about my business then returned in the evening. Again, she was very weak and seemed to have gotten worse. She even threw up, but this time it was white, which I have never seen before. We usually keep her food and litter box in the basement, but at this point we had it on the main level so she wouldn’t have to go downstairs and risk falling. And for this reason we closed the basement door. Despite that, she went and hung out in front of the basement door. She wanted to go down, so my dad opened the door and walked her down.

Next she just decided to hide in little spots….walking ever so slowly. I would go down and hang out with her, pet her, talk to her, etc. She went from one fairly accessible spot, to a much harder to reach spot where I could barely reach her to pet her with just my fingertips. She sat in her “cat loaf” position with her eyes slightly closed, head down a bit. Something she would do when perfectly healthy (but sleepy), but also something she would do when not feeling well. Something wasn’t right. With that said, she never made any sounds of pain. She kept quiet, other than some slight purring when I pet her. I knew things were heading south, but didn’t know it would happen this fast and dramatically. The difference between Friday and Saturday was very noticeable. After I attempted to pet her, I said something like “c’mon up, let’s go upstairs” just to try to get her going. We would often say that to her, maybe pat our hands our our legs, and she would sometimes follow us up. I went upstairs, laid on the couch, and watched TV for about an hour. Since she was obviously hiding, I figured it was best to give her a little alone time, and then I would check on her a few more times before going to bed.

That was the last time I saw her alive. After about an hour (probably a little less, actually) I went downstairs to check on her and there she was…..laying out in the open next to her hiding spot. Laying on her side, with her legs out, and eyes open. She was cold and not breathing. Yesterday morning morning my dad and I drove her to the emergency vet for cremation.

Finding her like that was a stab in the gut. I’d like to think she passed painlessly while trying to sleep, though that probably wasn’t the case. That was a pretty rare sleeping position for her, but not a position she hasn’t slept in before. Did she purposely, gently lie down for the last time, or did she fall down while trying to walk to another spot? Not knowing, and not being there when she passed has me sick to my stomach. I WANTED to be there, and comfort her, but wasn’t. She was alone. Her thin, frail body lying on the cold basement carpet.

I feel like if she was still around for that Tuesday appointment, the vet probably would’ve suggested putting her to sleep. Which we would have been fine with. She was in such terrible shape. But SHOULD we have taken her to the emergency vet on Friday or Saturday to put her to rest? Thinking back now, that may have been the best option. But we had no clue she would deteriorate that fast. And we didn’t have much time to process it, and figured “we’ll see how she is in a couple days.” Obviously that appointment in a couple days no longer exists. Additionally, I’m not sure she would’ve lasted the trip to the vet Saturday evening. I don’t know if putting her through that trauma would have been the right thing to do either. Having her pass during the car ride would have been just as terrible as her passing in the basement. Or having her suffer at the vet, because it was only a matter of hours……she was already in a lot of pain(I assume, like I said she never made any sounds). Thoughts??

Also, should we have taken her in a month back when the initial signs began? Well, I know we should have, but what good really would it have done? Possibly drag out the process for another couple months, and then she would eventually still reach those final stages of weight loss, weakness, etc. From the reading I’ve done, the survival rate for stomach cancer is extremely low, and there’s nothing you can really do once it advances. It would happen eventually, whether a couple days ago or a month or two from now. Any thoughts on this? Is this reasonable thinking? I'm just trying to find some comfort in our decision(or lack of decisions).

Why we didn’t take her in sooner……I think it was a mix of us not having any prior pet experience, and also the whole “this will never happen to us” and “she’ll bounce back” mindsets. Boy were we wrong, and it's something we'll have to live with.

Losing my mom was the hardest thing I’ve ever lived through. I don’t wish it on anyone. The news of her not having much time left was the worst day of my life, but her actually passing was more of a relief. The doctors made sure she was comfortable, and she was on enough pain meds for her to slip away peacefully. But in the case of our little kitty, everything happened so fast, and it was so hard to plan what to do next. Seeing her weak self, hiding in the dark basement, then finding her just lying there…..I don’t wish that on anyone either.

Has ANYBODY lost their cat in a similar way? Again I apologize if this was too detailed, and some of the visualizations are extremely uneasy. I'm sorry. But maybe hearing from someone that lived through something similar with their cat will help. Or maybe my story will help them know that we share a similar experience.

I try to think of all the happy moments, but then think of how her last moments were lived, and how everything played out Saturday night. I’m so sick to my stomach. She did not deserve to pass in that fashion.

Anyways, that is all. Hopefully none of you shed the tears that I have while writing this. She was truly an amazing cat. Such a joy to have around.

Take care everyone...

Mylittlepony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you've lost your lovely cat. Guilt and should have, could have, seem to be unavoidable when we are grieving. I lost Harry 2 weeks ago today, 2 truly awful weeks filled with all of the thoughts you have. I took Harry to the vet as soon as I noticed some different behaviour and he was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism which I had my doubts about, because of the symptoms but I bowed to the vets superior knowledge. He never got stabilised on the meds and then had the op which is when he went downhill. Lots of things happened and then finally after many visits she said she thought he had a growth of some sort and would operate. So Harry went into the vet on Monday morning and he was in until Tuesday afternoon, which is when he was pts as he had cancer. The cancer was obviously the problem all along and I feel so desperate that we 1. didnt know 2. he didnt have the pain relief, although like your cat, he slept and didnt eat but didnt seem as if he was in pain 3. He died at the vet's and we didnt get to bring him home. It is so hard to know what is the right thing to do, I wish we had just kept him at home and not put him through anything so whatever we do, because we love them so much and want everything to be perfect for them, and everything they deserve, its not always possible, however much you do. I hope, as I am hoping too, that the memories will outweigh the sadness in time and we will remember our beautiful, gentle cats and it wont feel so sad.

Mylittlepony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you've lost your lovely cat. Guilt and should have, could have, seem to be unavoidable when we are grieving. I lost Harry 2 weeks ago today, 2 truly awful weeks filled with all of the thoughts you have. I took Harry to the vet as soon as I noticed some different behaviour and he was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism which I had my doubts about, because of the symptoms but I bowed to the vets superior knowledge. He never got stabilised on the meds and then had the op which is when he went downhill. Lots of things happened and then finally after many visits she said she thought he had a growth of some sort and would operate. So Harry went into the vet on Monday morning and he was in until Tuesday afternoon, which is when he was pts as he had cancer. The cancer was obviously the problem all along and I feel so desperate that we 1. didnt know 2. he didnt have the pain relief, although like your cat, he slept and didnt eat but didnt seem as if he was in pain 3. He died at the vet's and we didnt get to bring him home. It is so hard to know what is the right thing to do, I wish we had just kept him at home and not put him through anything so whatever we do, because we love them so much and want everything to be perfect for them, and everything they deserve, its not always possible, however much you do. I hope, as I am hoping too, that the memories will outweigh the sadness in time and we will remember our beautiful, gentle cats and it wont feel so sad.

Mylittlepony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I must add that I meant I didnt get to bring him home while he was alive so he knew he was home. I did bring him immediately afterwards and sat with him that evening and he is in my garden now. So he did come home but not the way I had hoped.

CatLoaf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss. Cats hide pain really well, so a lot of times it's difficult to figure out if they're feeling unwell until they're *really* not feeling well. And if they exhibit symptoms, it can be a lot of different things. Please take care of yourself.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Boxer, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Don't beat yourself up. You did the best you knew at the time. Someday, one day, when there is another cat in your home and your heart, you will do differently. BUT...you and your family gave Boxer a loving home for her entire life. She was treasured and she knew that. THAT is what mattered to her, and what matters now. My heart is with yours.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for you loss. Yes, as others have said, we all feel the guilt and look back on things we could have done or maybe should have done.
I lost my Timmer in January to IBD and GI lymphoma. I had the ultrasound done and he had a colonoscopy too. The end result was the same. He didn't respond to medications. It might not have mattered for you guys either if you had the tests done and spent all the money, in the end, your little sweetie would have passed. It sounds like the disease had progressed rapidly. That's what stomach cancer does.
And yeah, cat's don't want to be touched when they are that sick. They typically go off and hide. She did what was in her nature to do.
You guys loved the cat and gave her a great home. That means a lot. It means everything.
It's gonna take some time to heal. Be kind to yourself.

kc1_cat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Don't beat yourself up.
I lost my best friend Monday and I never knew something could hurt so bad. It will take some time but you will be okay your cat knew you loved her.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We do not care to much about ourselves, so what could we possible do more about others (humans or cats or whatever)?

On the other hand, the End means nothing more than the Beginning means, but suffering is a different story.

We, the humans, share a strange idea that other living creatures feel us only if they see us. That is far from true! Think to bears, for example. Bears feel each from other hunderd miles. How they do that? We simply do not know. But they do know that another bear is "around" (read few hunderd miles away). There are stories about pheromones. But pheromons are not effective on long distances.

I am very sure that your kitty knew you were there.

I am very sure you did your best to care her. But Life had some other plans and we are not equipped to know those plans.

In our short path on Earth we share such feeling with all leaving creatures and we have to rely on time passing to cure our feelings and to change the tears into happy memories. That will certainly happen one day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littleboxer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the very kind words and prayers, and thoughts on the matter. It truly means a lot. It really does. And I send my prayers to each of you as well who have lost loved ones, and wish the best for you all.

Well, I let this sit for a couple weeks. I was an absolute mess that first week. It's really weird how just simplest of everyday tasks, like getting up in the morning, brushing your teeth, eating lunch, turning on the TV......whatever, feel really different after the loss of a loved one. I really don't know how to describe it. It just feels so different, and empty. It was a rough first week, and I could not do anything productive or take my mind off the situation. It eventually got better......and emotions came in waves. Have a good productive couple hours, then the thoughts and depression returns haha. Just all part of the grieving process, I suppose.

Still incredibly hearbroken, but things have gotten a lot better now that we've had time to process everything and are moving on with life. Things are back to "normal," well as close to normal as it can get. My family is actually seriously considering adopting another cat now! I was having very mixed feelings about getting another cat. The whole thing about possibly caring for this future cat better(as far as being more careful about the littlest of symptoms) than our little Boxer, which doesn't seem fair. BUT, on the other hand, it's better than having said cat live in a shelter. I think it's the right thing to do, and our Boxer would understand, and would probably want us to. Or maybe not.......she would always hiss and growl at outdoor cats that came walking by the window hahahahaha. It was her house.

Thanks again everyone.....

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really weird how just simplest of everyday tasks, like getting up in the morning, brushing your teeth, eating lunch, turning on the TV......whatever, feel really different after the loss of a loved one. I really don't know how to describe it. It just feels so different, and empty.
This is absolutely true!
Some routine things have a different taste and feeling, almost like someone else is doing them and we're just looking.

Mylittlepony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its a month since I lost Harry and still really bad. I think that has more to do with the ongoing 'discussions' with the vet. But yes it does feel so empty without a cat, no food to put out, no greetings when you come in, or cuddles in the evening, so sad and empty. I can understand you wanting to have another one, All you need is Love - and a Cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littleboxer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is absolutely true!
Some routine things have a different taste and feeling, almost like someone else is doing them and we're just looking.
For sure. I just don't know how to describe it. I think it's just the feeling/thought that you're still able to go about everyday life, but your loved one isn't able to any more. And obviously isn't physically there in your life any more. Why am I still able to eat a snack, use the restroom(as silly as it sounds), take a walk, whatever.......but my family member(human or otherwise) can not, kind of idea. Hopefully that makes sense. I had the same feeling when my mom passed. As in that case it went away over time, as it did with our cat's passing, but still that first week or so was so unusual.

Its a month since I lost Harry and still really bad. I think that has more to do with the ongoing 'discussions' with the vet. But yes it does feel so empty without a cat, no food to put out, no greetings when you come in, or cuddles in the evening, so sad and empty. I can understand you wanting to have another one, All you need is Love - and a Cat.
Yeah, I think ongoing discussions definitely makes things rougher. As horrible as it sounds, I think just taking your mind off the entire situation is the best way to cope and move on. When my mom passed, and just now when our cat passed, that's ALL I had on my mind. Non-stop. Week plus straight. I felt like absolute crap 24/7 and couldn't do anything productive. Then as the days go by, you start getting back to normal and don't dwell on the situation as much. There's still a massive empty spot in my heart, and it will always be there. Still incredibly heartbroken. Best thing is to think about the good memories I guess.

Seeing all her toys, food bowl, etc. still in their normal spots is really tough. I still find myself briefly glancing towards her common hang-out spots throughout the house to look for her, just out of habit. So empty..

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boxer would be incredibly honored that you would make room for another cat in her name. She will always have that special place in your heart, and there is plenty of room for another. To pass on a legacy is honoring the one that gave it,keeping that special love alive.