Devastated. I put my best friend of 15 years to sleep for an upset stomach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

e2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for sharing this. I have a very similar story, after being there for my guy's birth when I was just 9. He was my only friend when I had none. When I was almost 18, and almost 20, we lost my older brother and my mother. Our only two family members from our childhood home. Joey is my only surviving immediate family, and it kills me to know that I am going to be in a similar position soon. We've had an amazing 18.5 years so far.

I really do want to thank you again for sharing your experience, in depth, while it was so raw. I've been looking all over to hear these experiences. I've seen a lot of loss, watching my brother slip rapidly over less than 12' hours, and my mom in an ICU over three days. Through all of that, I only feel even LESS prepared for the inevitable. We all know the day comes for us to say good bye to every soul we encounter. I just never imagined I would be the last one remaining from my childhood home, at 28. And I never imagined going through this without either of my other two family members. Joey and I are blessed with a great extended family and many loving and affectionate friends - I'm so grateful for that. But saying good bye to him feels like letting the last piece of my family go, and ultimately, the biggest part of me. You have helped a lot, I'll understand just how much in hindsight, I'm sure. I'd rather know what to expect, instead of arriving at that point totally blind.

I hope your little one is celebrated and remembered well. Those of us who have or have had geriatric cats are blessed to have so much time with our closest friends. We share a bond that most will never understand, especially being together from birth. I suppose nothing is free though. Ultimately, the more time you have to grow close, the harder the inevitable will be to accept for some.

And one more time, THANK YOU for sharing that. Thank you so much, all of you.
THANK YOU for sharing.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you experienced that! I truly believe we get confirmations through devastating times, that help us heal.
Soon after Minnie passed, Mikki was sitting on my lap and raised her head...stared at Min's water bowl and her head then moved slowly over to Min's box that she used to lay in...as if Mikki was following something.
When I received Min's ashes back, the cremation's office wrote Minnie's name on the outside box with a lil heart and I thought it was so nice I took a picture of the box. The box was all plain white except for Minnie's name and the heart. When I looked at the picture later, there was an image reflected in scotch tape that was on the box. Minnie was a black/white tuxedo cat. Here's the image that I call my "lil angel" :) I hope you have many more comforting "visits".
I know that this is an old post but I think that many people would get great comfort from reading it today, in 2022.