Deteriorating Cat Introductions??

terimay22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently brought home a 6 month old rescue female kitten (Tofu) to keep company our resident 3 year old female (Pumpkin) after the sudden and unexpected passing of our boy a few months ago.

We took introductions slowly and only after 3 weeks were they allowed unsupervised together all day (but still separated at night to make sure Pumpkin gets cuddles and some peace). Introductions went super well and they seemed to be getting along fairly quickly - sharing food, water, litter and playing together happily. Pumpkin still gave the odd hiss or growl and a little swipe when tofu approached her when she was sitting/napping but generally all was well - better in fact than previous introductions that ended up being very successful relationships.

Over the last week or so Pumpkin has been swatting and hissing and growling more. They are playing less, and Pumpkin even seems less pleased with us. I'm not sure what's going on or if I'm reading too much into this. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of behaviour?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Condolences on the loss your your male kitty. :alright:

About the cat introductions, swatting, hissing and growling, isn't too bad. It's when there's fur flying, blood, or one cat seems stressed that you should be concerned.

However, the fact that the swatting, hissing & growling has intensified, does seem as though Pumpkin isn't happy. I wonder if it's because Tofu has gotten older. Is Tofu spayed yet?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It may be that Tofu is gaining confidence and irritating Pumpkin more. There is always a pecking order, and I've heard two females can be worse than two males. And, the pecking order is not always won by the resident cat...

Maybe the unsupervised togetherness all day has created some issues that you are not aware of? Either separate them some, or set up a baby cam system to spy on them. I think that 3 weeks may have not been enough time to leave them alone with each other all day long.

Further, 6 months is still in the play-kitten age - 3 years, not so much. Tofu may be looking for entertainment from Pumpkin during the day that Pumpkin is not willing to provide.

Your boy that passed (RIP to your baby), was he older? That would be another 'adaption' Pumpkin would have to go through from being with a more 'chilled' cat that Tofu is.

You might need to take a couple of steps backward -

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My deepest sympathy on the loss of your boy.

Has Pumpkin had a health check recently? Since they were getting along fairly well, I'm wondering if just maybe she isn't feeling quite up to snuff, and Tofu is getting on her nerves because of that. It may well not be, but worth considering. You say she is less interested in you, as well. How is her appetite? Litter habits? These can be symptoms of a cat who isn't feeling well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terimay22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Condolences on the loss your your male kitty. :alright:

About the cat introductions, swatting, hissing and growling, isn't too bad. It's when there's fur flying, blood, or one cat seems stressed that you should be concerned.

However, the fact that the swatting, hissing & growling has intensified, does seem as though Pumpkin isn't happy. I wonder if it's because Tofu has gotten older. Is Tofu spayed yet?
Yes - both spayed and had been since before we adopted. The escalation is what concerned me, I was just keeping an eye but letting them get on before. Interestingly, when we shut Tofu away at night or when Pumpkin seems to want some respite, she hangs around at the door and seems to look for Tofu. I just can't make sense of it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terimay22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. It may be that Tofu is gaining confidence and irritating Pumpkin more. There is always a pecking order, and I've heard two females can be worse than two males. And, the pecking order is not always won by the resident cat...

Maybe the unsupervised togetherness all day has created some issues that you are not aware of? Either separate them some, or set up a baby cam system to spy on them. I think that 3 weeks may have not been enough time to leave them alone with each other all day long.

Further, 6 months is still in the play-kitten age - 3 years, not so much. Tofu may be looking for entertainment from Pumpkin during the day that Pumpkin is not willing to provide.

Your boy that passed (RIP to your baby), was he older? That would be another 'adaption' Pumpkin would have to go through from being with a more 'chilled' cat that Tofu is.

You might need to take a couple of steps backward -

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
some really helpful points to consider here, thank you. I think if anything Tofu seems more tentative and "respectful" of Pumpkin than before and Pumpkin certainly seems to be the boss. Our boy was the same (ish!) age but more quiet and reserved, Pumpkin was always initiating play so maybe that could be something. Maybe we'll try keeping them separate in the day when we're not around as well as the night - take a few steps back. Thank you!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You say she is less interested in you, as well. How is her appetite? Litter habits? These can be symptoms of a cat who isn't feeling well.
I missed the "less pleased with us" that Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 caught. So I'm going to post the TCS articles on cats and stress, if you want to read them.

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress | TheCatSite
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist | TheCatSite
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats | TheCatSite