Detergent Safe For cats?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know if any studies have been done, but I've used that one for years with no issues.

sanfran_kitty_lady_21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you mean "safe for your cat"? I'd say all detergents are safe for cats as long as they aren't drinking it but post wash - I have yet to hear of a detergent that leaves a residue that's toxic to cats. So I'm pretty sure that one is fine.

So then the question becomes - after a wash, will the detergent leave a smell or something else that the cat doesn't like. I know cats don't like a citrus scents. Cats are really sensitive to scents and detergents, all detergent, destroys all those scents the cat worked so hard to soak into those items. Most cat also really like their owner's scents so if I wash a blanket and I use it again, my cat will use it again because it smells like me. I also try not to wash all my blankets at the same time so that I can rub a "dirty" blanket against a clean item to get that scent back.

Hope that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What do you mean "safe for your cat"? I'd say all detergents are safe for cats as long as they aren't drinking it but post wash - I have yet to hear of a detergent that leaves a residue that's toxic to cats. So I'm pretty sure that one is fine.

So then the question becomes - after a wash, will the detergent leave a smell or something else that the cat doesn't like. I know cats don't like a citrus scents. Cats are really sensitive to scents and detergents, all detergent, destroys all those scents the cat worked so hard to soak into those items. Most cat also really like their owner's scents so if I wash a blanket and I use it again, my cat will use it again because it smells like me. I also try not to wash all my blankets at the same time so that I can rub a "dirty" blanket against a clean item to get that scent back.

Hope that helps.
I heard that some of the scented ones can cause them to sneeze or other nasal problems? Probably over thinking it I guess.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use Tide Free and Gentle, until I developed an allergy. When I checked online it turned out that this is not at all uncommon, which would seem to indicate that there's something in it that's remaining behind in laundered clothing.

FWIW, I've had no allergy problems since I switched to Arm&Hammer Sensitive Skin Free & Clear.

Also, I agree with GoldyCat GoldyCat - I've never encountered any studies about cats and laundry detergent.

Regarding scents, many essential oils are poisonous to cats. I suspect that perfumes are the most dangerous (for cats) things added to laundry detergent. If that's so (which is a pretty big "if"), any unscented laundry detergent ought to be reasonably safe.

The other thing you might want to consider is the safety of your fabric softener, since it's designed to leave something behind on your laundry. And, again, I've never encountered any studies. I do what I can to discourage Jasmine from licking fabric, and I avoid perfumed fabric softeners.

Margret

Last edited: