Desperately seeking advicešŸ«£šŸ„ŗšŸ¾

KodaBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!! I found this site not too long ago and spent many hours reading posts about domesticating semi-feral cats. The advice given to others have been so helpful and educational in preparing me with my journey that Iā€™m about to share here.

I donā€™t want to take too much of anyoneā€™s time explaining my situation so Iā€™ll try to be as brief as possible.I currently have in my spare bedroom/office one mama cat, Babycakes, who is approx 12-14months old (black with white paws and chest) and her two babies, Maxi (all grey) and Cupcake (a mini- version of Babycakes, black with white paws and chest), approx 6-7months old (I think). All three have been vetted and spayed, all deemed healthy. They are in a Catio I set up in my office (pics included).

I rescued the babies first (on Oct 23 and 25, 2022, one at a time). I couldnā€™t stand the thought of them spending their life outside in the cold weather, esp with winter approaching (I live in NY). Got them spayed and tested and then placed them in the Catio, three days apart. I was originally bonded with their mom, Babycakes, who I was feeding and sheltering on my back deck. Watching the three of them outside playing, grooming, and sleeping together touched my heart. They were a bonded, close knit family. Babycakes was an attentive, caring mama. So I was determined to trap Babycakes and reunite her with her babies. After several failed attempts, I successfully trapped her on Oct 4th, so they were separated for approx 15 days. After she was cleared by the vet, I placed her in the Catio with her babies expecting a warm, loving reunion, but not so!!! She and Maxi hissed and swatted at each other. At this point, Cupcake and Maxi (babies) were somewhat adapted to the Catio, not with me though. I was never able to pet any of them when they were outside, however, they grew to trust me as evidenced by their willingness to eat while I sat few feet away. They were a fixture on my deck for weeks and would not run too far when I approached.

Back to current situation: now that theyā€™re reunited, Babycakes was obviously scared and retreated to the cubby in the corner of the Catio. Her babies looked as if they didnā€™t recognize her. They remained cautious and stayed awayā€¦and kinda remain distant to this day (15 days since Babycakes joined them). Every so often, they swat at each other and get into minor scuffles with Babycakes (always one at a time). The babies are comfortable in the Catio as they frolic and play with each other and their toys. I lay down beside the Catio every night for an hour or so and spend a few hours during the day with them (I work some days from home and conduct my Zoom meetings in that room so they are used to my voice and presence, but donā€™t feel safe enough to allow me to pet them yet). I play with them using a feather wand and feed them Temptation treats with a long baby spoon that fits through the Catio bars. When I lay on the floor next to the Catio, Babycakes stays hidden in the cubby, while the babies play near me. When I leave the room, she comes out to eat, uses the litter box, and explores the top tiers of the Catio. She sleeps outside of the cubby when Iā€™m not in the room. I will eventually leave the doors of the Catio open for them to explore the room, but I donā€™t know when the right time to do that will be. Help!

I feel bad they are confined to only the Catio space. This evening, I witnessed Babycakes attempting to get out of the Catio by reaching for and scratching at the vertical blinds behind it. She then proceeded to go to the other side of the Catio to scratch the bars. When she crossed paths with Cupcake, she gave her a good swatting causing Cupcake to scream/yelp in fear. Yet few minutes later, all three are laying throughout the structure or in the cat tower seemingly unbothered by one another.

I was at a breaking point this evening feeling like I should release Babycakes back into our neighborhood (which is a private enclosed small community of townhomes, relatively safe from traffic and a lot of people, but there are other wildlife, mainly raccoons who found their way to my deck after discovering I was feeding the cats). Anyway, Iā€™m worried Babycakes is unhappy inside. I get scared for her babies because the three of them have not bonded inside like they had when they were outside. What do I do?

I donā€™t have additional spare rooms in my house to separate her from her babies, assuming that is whatā€™s best for her. I have two senior dogs, both with their own chronic health conditions, that I care for and adore (theyā€™re my other babies; a 14yo chihuahua and 10ish yo recuse pitbull). They have the run of the house except for the office where the cats are. The cats donā€™t seem too phased by my dogs presence though, but they are cautious (they see each other from the hallway as I enter or leave the office, or Iā€™ve had my 14 yo chihuahua sitting under my desk while Iā€™m on Zoom and the kitties just stare at her and eventually sleep, not bothered by her presence. My dogs are not cat friendly [what did I get myself into?!?!] I also have a baby gate placed outside the office door as a precautionary measure).

Do you think Babycakes will be happier if she is able to explore the room? Iā€™m afraid she will try to scale the walls or the vertical blinds of the window! The room size is approx 11x11 and has two bookshelves on either side of the Catio and my desk opposite side of the Catio (where my camera is set up to watch them, which I am obsessed)!! I am in the process of boxing up all my books so the book shelves are free for the cats to claim as their own. One book shelf doesnā€™t have a back so they can go in and out.

I know the babies will warm up to me once they have free roam of the room. I know to work at their pace and wait for them to approach me. I learned so many helpful tips from this site that I will utilize them once I feel the babies are comfortable enough to get access to the entire room. I set up another TALL cat tower by my desk. I want to place another litter box by the bookshelf so they have two boxes (theyā€™re all sharing one box inside the Catio!! I feel bad about that but so far, theyā€™re all using the litter boxā€¦I scoop it like 3x a dayšŸ™€)!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Iā€™m planning to move next August to a bigger home where the cats will have more space.

So I guess my questions mainly have to do with what to do about Babycakes. Should I release her? I donā€™t want to, but sheā€™s not bonding with her babies, nor does she appear to be happy. She glares at me, to the point Iā€™m afraid of her which is sad because I feel in love with her outside. She was the reason I wanted to trap them. And yes, I know itā€™s only been a couple of weeks, but Iā€™m more concerned with her sharing that small space with her babies and potentially hurting them.

I find Maxi sometimes laying in the litter box. I read on Google that cats may do that because theyā€™re stressed so they seek comfort in their litter box. Maxi never retreated to the box prior to Babycakesā€™ arrival into the Catio. I just want them all to be happy šŸ˜”

I know Iā€™m all over the place with my thoughts in this post, so if youā€™re able to stay focused thus far, I thank youšŸ¤—! Iā€™m overwhelmed, probably in over my head, and am doing this all by myself, so any advice is much appreciated.

Warmly,
Priya

Pics are of them in the Catio. Since Babycakes rarely shows herself when Iā€™m in the room, I included a pic of her when she was outside on my deck (pre-trap days).

Attachments

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!! I found this site not too long ago and spent many hours reading posts about domesticating semi-feral cats. The advice given to others have been so helpful and educational in preparing me with my journey that Iā€™m about to share here.

I donā€™t want to take too much of anyoneā€™s time explaining my situation so Iā€™ll try to be as brief as possible.I currently have in my spare bedroom/office one mama cat, Babycakes, who is approx 12-14months old (black with white paws and chest) and her two babies, Maxi (all grey) and Cupcake (a mini- version of Babycakes, black with white paws and chest), approx 6-7months old (I think). All three have been vetted and spayed, all deemed healthy. They are in a Catio I set up in my office (pics included).

I rescued the babies first (on Oct 23 and 25, 2022, one at a time). I couldnā€™t stand the thought of them spending their life outside in the cold weather, esp with winter approaching (I live in NY). Got them spayed and tested and then placed them in the Catio, three days apart. I was originally bonded with their mom, Babycakes, who I was feeding and sheltering on my back deck. Watching the three of them outside playing, grooming, and sleeping together touched my heart. They were a bonded, close knit family. Babycakes was an attentive, caring mama. So I was determined to trap Babycakes and reunite her with her babies. After several failed attempts, I successfully trapped her on Oct 4th, so they were separated for approx 15 days. After she was cleared by the vet, I placed her in the Catio with her babies expecting a warm, loving reunion, but not so!!! She and Maxi hissed and swatted at each other. At this point, Cupcake and Maxi (babies) were somewhat adapted to the Catio, not with me though. I was never able to pet any of them when they were outside, however, they grew to trust me as evidenced by their willingness to eat while I sat few feet away. They were a fixture on my deck for weeks and would not run too far when I approached.

Back to current situation: now that theyā€™re reunited, Babycakes was obviously scared and retreated to the cubby in the corner of the Catio. Her babies looked as if they didnā€™t recognize her. They remained cautious and stayed awayā€¦and kinda remain distant to this day (15 days since Babycakes joined them). Every so often, they swat at each other and get into minor scuffles with Babycakes (always one at a time). The babies are comfortable in the Catio as they frolic and play with each other and their toys. I lay down beside the Catio every night for an hour or so and spend a few hours during the day with them (I work some days from home and conduct my Zoom meetings in that room so they are used to my voice and presence, but donā€™t feel safe enough to allow me to pet them yet). I play with them using a feather wand and feed them Temptation treats with a long baby spoon that fits through the Catio bars. When I lay on the floor next to the Catio, Babycakes stays hidden in the cubby, while the babies play near me. When I leave the room, she comes out to eat, uses the litter box, and explores the top tiers of the Catio. She sleeps outside of the cubby when Iā€™m not in the room. I will eventually leave the doors of the Catio open for them to explore the room, but I donā€™t know when the right time to do that will be. Help!

I feel bad they are confined to only the Catio space. This evening, I witnessed Babycakes attempting to get out of the Catio by reaching for and scratching at the vertical blinds behind it. She then proceeded to go to the other side of the Catio to scratch the bars. When she crossed paths with Cupcake, she gave her a good swatting causing Cupcake to scream/yelp in fear. Yet few minutes later, all three are laying throughout the structure or in the cat tower seemingly unbothered by one another.

I was at a breaking point this evening feeling like I should release Babycakes back into our neighborhood (which is a private enclosed small community of townhomes, relatively safe from traffic and a lot of people, but there are other wildlife, mainly raccoons who found their way to my deck after discovering I was feeding the cats). Anyway, Iā€™m worried Babycakes is unhappy inside. I get scared for her babies because the three of them have not bonded inside like they had when they were outside. What do I do?

I donā€™t have additional spare rooms in my house to separate her from her babies, assuming that is whatā€™s best for her. I have two senior dogs, both with their own chronic health conditions, that I care for and adore (theyā€™re my other babies; a 14yo chihuahua and 10ish yo recuse pitbull). They have the run of the house except for the office where the cats are. The cats donā€™t seem too phased by my dogs presence though, but they are cautious (they see each other from the hallway as I enter or leave the office, or Iā€™ve had my 14 yo chihuahua sitting under my desk while Iā€™m on Zoom and the kitties just stare at her and eventually sleep, not bothered by her presence. My dogs are not cat friendly [what did I get myself into?!?!] I also have a baby gate placed outside the office door as a precautionary measure).

Do you think Babycakes will be happier if she is able to explore the room? Iā€™m afraid she will try to scale the walls or the vertical blinds of the window! The room size is approx 11x11 and has two bookshelves on either side of the Catio and my desk opposite side of the Catio (where my camera is set up to watch them, which I am obsessed)!! I am in the process of boxing up all my books so the book shelves are free for the cats to claim as their own. One book shelf doesnā€™t have a back so they can go in and out.

I know the babies will warm up to me once they have free roam of the room. I know to work at their pace and wait for them to approach me. I learned so many helpful tips from this site that I will utilize them once I feel the babies are comfortable enough to get access to the entire room. I set up another TALL cat tower by my desk. I want to place another litter box by the bookshelf so they have two boxes (theyā€™re all sharing one box inside the Catio!! I feel bad about that but so far, theyā€™re all using the litter boxā€¦I scoop it like 3x a dayšŸ™€)!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Iā€™m planning to move next August to a bigger home where the cats will have more space.

So I guess my questions mainly have to do with what to do about Babycakes. Should I release her? I donā€™t want to, but sheā€™s not bonding with her babies, nor does she appear to be happy. She glares at me, to the point Iā€™m afraid of her which is sad because I feel in love with her outside. She was the reason I wanted to trap them. And yes, I know itā€™s only been a couple of weeks, but Iā€™m more concerned with her sharing that small space with her babies and potentially hurting them.

I find Maxi sometimes laying in the litter box. I read on Google that cats may do that because theyā€™re stressed so they seek comfort in their litter box. Maxi never retreated to the box prior to Babycakesā€™ arrival into the Catio. I just want them all to be happy šŸ˜”

I know Iā€™m all over the place with my thoughts in this post, so if youā€™re able to stay focused thus far, I thank youšŸ¤—! Iā€™m overwhelmed, probably in over my head, and am doing this all by myself, so any advice is much appreciated.

Warmly,
Priya

Pics are of them in the Catio. Since Babycakes rarely shows herself when Iā€™m in the room, I included a pic of her when she was outside on my deck (pre-trap days).
I can't blame any of the cats for being upset. IMO their living quarters is too small. If you have limited space, then why so many pets?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
You say ā€œyour dogs are not cat-friendly.ā€ How not friendly are we talking here? Would they injure your cats? I ask only b/c if your dogs are truly not to be trusted around cats, youā€™ll forever have to divide your new home between them. If you think itā€™s simply a matter of everybody getting used to each other, well, thatā€™s a different kettle of fish -er- cats!

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work only with ferals. The mom is doing what any mom cat would do as kittens get weaned. She is pushing them away to make them become independent and if they were still outside, she would be coming into heat again and attracting attention. Mom cats protect the young and must teach them how to be cats. That is not to say that they may not become close again. Two weeks is not long in cat time. Can you figure a way to put a small cat carrier or box for mom to have some privacy? Any form of desperation inside that lovely space will greatly help. I would NOT return mom to the neighborhood. You have plans in place to expand their area or even get a house. Letā€™s take this one step at a time. As many cubby holes for quiet space as you can provide in the catio is a big plus. It will make a very big difference for them all. Bravo to you for saving these lives! I am short on time right now but I will be back. Youā€™re doing great and others will be along to help as well. If you are a kitty guardian, you are a kitty hero! You are a guardian! Please give us time to help you work out the details. When we rescue we learn as we go and there are many ways to help things along. You are already well along the way so.... keep at it! :welcomesign::cheerleader::rock::goldstar:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
KodaBear KodaBear ,

What you are doing is great. Thank you for taking them in. Bless your heart :clapcat:

Just give them time to overcome the new set up. Being indoors is definitely than being outdoors. Since it's a family that you've taken in, it's good that they stay together. Don't worry about the place being small just as long as it is safe for them and there's no escape route.

Yes, please do not let Babycakes back to the streets. Did the vet spay her when she was at the vet? If not, get her spayed so that she'll not go through her heat cycles and also she'll not be doing all the yowlings when she's in heat to look for a mate if she's not spayed.

I guess you have a handful here and I suggest you take it slow but don't give up.

Here are some articles for you to read :-

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

The Multi-Cat Household ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

Cats And Hidden Dangers In The Home ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

Household Chemicals And Your Cats ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

Cats & Lilies: Avoid The Danger Lurking In Your Home ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

10 Essential Cat Safety Rules You Need To Know ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

How To Make Your Home And Garden Safe For Your Cat ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

Feeding Cats In A Multi-cat Household: A Quick Guide ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

Feel free to ask questions and we'll move along with you. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KodaBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't blame any of the cats for being upset. IMO their living quarters is too small. If you have limited space, then why so many pets?
I feel horrible about the space issue, so thank you for making me feel worse. Itā€™s why Iā€™m contemplating releasing Babycakes.

Why so many pets? Babycakes kinda fell upon me by coming to my covered back deck every day and then bringing her babies to me. I felt compelled to do something so they wouldnā€™t have a horrible life living outside in the cold, harsh Nyc winters. I contacted a couple of rescues and they could not help as they were overloaded with cats and kittens (no fosters available). They helped me trap them though for TNR. I, myself, then got TNR certified. They were of the opinion that semi-ferals could not be domesticated. I found this site and discovered that thereā€™s a chance they could. Iā€™m the kind of person who is determined to beat the odds. I rescued my pitbull 4 years ago from the rescue I volunteer at. She was labeled as aggressive towards other dogs. I had two chihuahuas at home, but I adopted her anyway because she was miserable at the rescue and returned twice from other adopters. I put up baby gates everywhere, hired a trainer, showed them love and patience and now they sleep with me on my bed. No aggression at all!! My older chi passed 2 yrs ago from natural causes. Anyway, i see potential in these three cats. Maxi and Cupcake look happy and content in the Catio. They play, eat a lot, use the litter box, and sleep contently, on their backs in front of me. Babycakes is still adjusting. Once I open the Catio doors they will have a larger space to live in the room. I donā€™t know when to take that step though.

KodaBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You say ā€œyour dogs are not cat-friendly.ā€ How not friendly are we talking here? Would they injure your cats? I ask only b/c if your dogs are truly not to be trusted around cats, youā€™ll forever have to divide your new home between them. If you think itā€™s simply a matter of everybody getting used to each other, well, thatā€™s a different kettle of fish -er- cats!
Thank you for your question. Theyā€™re senior, senior dogs, with serious health conditions at this point. I donā€™t think they would injure the cats IF it gets to the point where they can share the house. My chihuahua is in the office with me while I work and they see each other but no one reacts. So thereā€™s potential there. My pitbull is losing mobility in her hind legs and will be in a wheel chair soon, so she wonā€™t have the opportunity to do anything to them.

KodaBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I work only with ferals. The mom is doing what any mom cat would do as kittens get weaned. She is pushing them away to make them become independent and if they were still outside, she would be coming into heat again and attracting attention. Mom cats protect the young and must teach them how to be cats. That is not to say that they may not become close again. Two weeks is not long in cat time. Can you figure a way to put a small cat carrier or box for mom to have some privacy? Any form of desperation inside that lovely space will greatly help. I would NOT return mom to the neighborhood. You have plans in place to expand their area or even get a house. Letā€™s take this one step at a time. As many cubby holes for quiet space as you can provide in the catio is a big plus. It will make a very big difference for them all. Bravo to you for saving these lives! I am short on time right now but I will be back. Youā€™re doing great and others will be along to help as well. If you are a kitty guardian, you are a kitty hero! You are a guardian! Please give us time to help you work out the details. When we rescue we learn as we go and there are many ways to help things along. You are already well along the way so.... keep at it! :welcomesign::cheerleader::rock::goldstar:
Iā€™ve read your responses to others on here and am so grateful you replied. Thank you for being positive, kind, and supportive at a time when Iā€™m at a crossroads.

In the pics Iā€™m including here is a better view of the Catio. In the right side corner are two cubbies set up in a vertical position. Babycakes finds refuge here. The babies do as well on occasion.

All three are fully vetted- spayed, ear tipped, dewormed, flea and tick meds (for one month anyway), and tested negative for feline leukemia.

I included a second pic of the room theyā€™re currently in. Iā€™m in the process of boxing all of the books and removing them from the book shelves to give them that space, so theyā€™ll have more privacy in those cubbies. I also have a 6ft cat tower that you canā€™t see by my desk, opposite side of room/Catio.

I also have a larger finished basement that I contemplated placing them at. I chose not to because it has one very small window which doesnā€™t provide much natural light and lots of hiding spaces that Iā€™m afraid will not give me the opportunity to bond with them. And I donā€™t spend too much time down there. This office room has lots of natural lighting, a huge window that I can open for them to get fresh air, and no where to crawl under or hide. Plus, I spend a lot of time in there. I read on here to keep them in a confined space until they acclimate.

I know Iā€™m in over my head here, but I felt I had no choice because Babycakes kept returning to my outside deck, then soon returning with her two babies. I felt like it was a sign of trust. When it rained or stormed, I couldnā€™t sleep at night knowing they were outside in those elements, even though I have two shelters out there for them. I couldnā€™t imagine how theyā€™d feel in the winter months. They also had to compete with three other strays/ferals who visited at times. I ended up TNRing those cats as well (they are not bonded with me like Babycakes was).

Do you think the office room will suffice for now until theyā€™ve fully adapted, that is once Iā€™ve opened the Catio doors for them to explore. I want them to feel safe in the Catio so they have it as an option to retreat to after they get full access to the room.

Attachments

KodaBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
KodaBear KodaBear ,

What you are doing is great. Thank you for taking them in. Bless your heart :clapcat:

Just give them time to overcome the new set up. Being indoors is definitely than being outdoors. Since it's a family that you've taken in, it's good that they stay together. Don't worry about the place being small just as long as it is safe for them and there's no escape route.

Yes, please do not let Babycakes back to the streets. Did the vet spay her when she was at the vet? If not, get her spayed so that she'll not go through her heat cycles and also she'll not be doing all the yowlings when she's in heat to look for a mate if she's not spayed.

I guess you have a handful here and I suggest you take it slow but don't give up.

Here are some articles for you to read :-

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

The Multi-Cat Household ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

Cats And Hidden Dangers In The Home ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

Household Chemicals And Your Cats ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

Cats & Lilies: Avoid The Danger Lurking In Your Home ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

10 Essential Cat Safety Rules You Need To Know ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

How To Make Your Home And Garden Safe For Your Cat ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

Feeding Cats In A Multi-cat Household: A Quick Guide ā€“ TheCatSite Articles

Feel free to ask questions and we'll move along with you. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Thank you so much for your kind and supportive wordsā€¦and the resources. Iā€™ll read them this evening as Iā€™m relaxing with my cats šŸ™ƒ.

All three are fully vetted- spayed, tested negative for leukemia and the other common test, dewormed , vaccinated for rabies and given Revolution for flea and ticks.

I included additional pics of the office space above to show what Iā€™m working with. Whatā€™s not shown is another 6ft cat tower and my desk that sits on the opposite side of the Catio. When I let them have the room, they will have the additional cat tower and book shelves to seek refuge and safety. Iā€™m just not sure when to give them that space.

Thank you again for your response!!

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your question. Theyā€™re senior, senior dogs, with serious health conditions at this point. I donā€™t think they would injure the cats IF it gets to the point where they can share the house. My chihuahua is in the office with me while I work and they see each other but no one reacts. So thereā€™s potential there. My pitbull is losing mobility in her hind legs and will be in a wheel chair soon, so she wonā€™t have the opportunity to do anything to them.
Oh well then! I think youā€™ll be fine!All you need is time and patience. Make sure there are no escape hatches before letting baby cakes outā€¦. i mean ceiling, air ducts and ventsā€¦she might be shy but cats love to explore. a good practise run before moving to your new and larger place. Getting used to each othersā€™ smells and behavior patterns is huge. Make sure too if she decides to hide, which well might happen, you can eventually get her out again! Do you have a cat cam?

Last edited:

KodaBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I realize I wrote in my original post that my dogs are not cat friendly. My apologies for the confusion. I think they would all get along eventually but to be honest, I donā€™t know how much time I have left with either of my šŸ¶girls due to their health conditions. I wasnā€™t planning on inviting three cats into my home but my heart hurt knowing they were outside in the harsh elements, esp the babies. And I knew I was moving next year so would the new owners take over feeding them? Probably notā˜¹

KodaBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh well then! I think youā€™ll be fine!All you need is time and patience. Make sure there are no escape hatches before letting baby cakes outā€¦. i mean ceiling, air ducts and ventsā€¦she might be shy but cats love to explore. a good practise run before moving to your new and larger place. Getting used to each othersā€™ smells and behavior patterns is huge. Make sure too is she decides to hide, which well might happen, you can eventually get her out again! Do you have a cat cam?
I hope by the time I move next August or September, the cats will have a bond with me so I can handle themšŸ¤žšŸ¼!! The room theyā€™re in now has no vents or spaces they can crawl into, and yesss, I have a camera set up in there to watch them, which I do constantlyšŸ˜ƒ

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
I hope by the time I move next August or September, the cats will have a bond with me so I can handle themšŸ¤žšŸ¼!! The room theyā€™re in now has no vents or spaces they can crawl into, and yesss, I have a camera set up in there to watch them, which I do constantlyšŸ˜ƒ
Great! keep us posted. There may be some initial swatting/hissing as the pecking orderā€™s figured out and they get used to each other. It is a dance and it all just takes time. If you are a very new cat owner and can do this I might suggest pet insurance. Not so much for now b/c they sound healthy but it will help w/ any insane vet bill down the road. Good for you for doing this! Good luck!

KodaBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for advice. I have insurance for both of my dogs and it has been a lifesaver as they are in their golden years with health issues.

I used to own a cat but he was domesticated and lived for 20 years. I am very new to owning ferals so appreciate the advice here.

I just worry about the space in the Catio for three cats. Most days they seem okay, but they do have their moments, particularly Babycakes. I am probably overreacting too because most days they all get along. Itā€™s the few times that I see aggression (warning swatting and hissing only towards Babycakes and FROM Babycakes is when I panic and think sheā€™s not happy). Itā€™s hard.

The babies donā€™t seem to mind being in the Catio. I watch them groom each other, eat from the same bowl, play on the floor running back and forth. I want so badly for them to have the entire room but donā€™t when the right time to open that space up for them. Iā€™m afraid Babycakes will freak out in the larger space at this point. And when I do allow them that space, should I be in the room at my desk ignoring them? Do I leave the room so they are free to explore without me being in their presence? So many questions.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind and supportive wordsā€¦and the resources. Iā€™ll read them this evening as Iā€™m relaxing with my cats šŸ™ƒ.

All three are fully vetted- spayed, tested negative for leukemia and the other common test, dewormed , vaccinated for rabies and given Revolution for flea and ticks.

I included additional pics of the office space above to show what Iā€™m working with. Whatā€™s not shown is another 6ft cat tower and my desk that sits on the opposite side of the Catio. When I let them have the room, they will have the additional cat tower and book shelves to seek refuge and safety. Iā€™m just not sure when to give them that space.

Thank you again for your response!!
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

You are good to go. 3 cats is not a lot and it's good you kept them as a family. Don't worry about the space. They need your love and attention more than anything else. You are not the only one with 3 cats living in a room. There are many cat parents that are doing the same thing and some with even more cats than you.
Please do not let Babycakes out again as you may never be able to trap her again and life outside for her will be tough.

As I read your other posts, Babycakes have chosen you and that's why she keeps returning to your deck and eventually with the other two kittens as she trust you.

Please don't feel bad about the whole situation. You are doing the best for them and if I'm in your shoes, I'll do it for them too.

Let them explore the room at their own time. No need to hurry. Always leave a safe place for them to retreat to if they are afraid while out venturing out. Leave towels that are soaked with their scents and leave them around the room. This will help them gain confidence when they explore the room as familiar scents are very important to them. Cats go by scents.

Let them get use to you working in the room so that they know topic are not a threat. As you are in the room, you can always speak to them in a loving voice that will encourage them to gain trust in you too but just don't make any sudden moves or have loud noise in the room which will scare them.
Let them own the room at their own time.

Last edited:

KodaBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 434318

You are good to go. 3 cats is not a lot and it's good you kept them as a family. Don't worry about the space. They need your love and attention more than anything else. You are not the only one with 3 cats living in a room. There are many cat parents that are doing the same thing and some with even more cats than you.
Please do not let Babycakes out again as you may never be able to trap her again and life outside for her will be tough.

As I read your other posts, Babycakes have chosen you and that's why she keeps returning to your deck and eventually with the other two kittens as she trust you.

Please don't feel bad about the whole situation. You are doing the best for them and if I'm in your shoes, I'll do it for them too.

Let them explore the room at their own time. No need to hurry. Always leave a safe place for them to retreat to if they are afraid while out venturing out. Leave towels that are soaked with their scents and leave them around the room. This will help them gain confidence when they explore the room as familiar scents are very important to them. Cats go by scents.

Let them get use to you working in the room so that they know topic are not a threat. As you are in the room, you can always speak to them in a loving voice that will encourage them to gain trust in you too but just don't make any sudden moves or have loud noise in the room which will scare them.
Let them own the room at their own time.

Omg, I needed to hear your words of encouragement, thank you!!! Knowing Iā€™m not doing a disservice to them due to the space issue is what I needed to hear. Sending lots of virtual hugs!!!

Leaving their scent around the rest of the room is such a great idea, I never thought of it like that. Once I remove all the books on the shelves it will free up a lot of space for them when itā€™s time for them to explore the room, which brings me to my next questionā€¦.

When do I know itā€™s time? Specifically, when do I open the Catio doors for them to roam the room? And do I stay in the room? Or should I leave (I have a camera set up so Iā€™ll definitely watch).

I feel like I canā€™t properly bond with them due to the Catio serving as a barrier. The babies will stretch their paws out to me so they can touch my hand and they put their nose up against the cage to smell my hand (not all the time but a few times yes; itā€™s not a normal thing yet). Babycakes isnā€™t there yet, like at all. For the most part, she stays in her cubby when Iā€™m in the room. Once or twice though, she did pop out of the cubby and sit at the top perch while I was on ZOOM, but sheā€™s definitely not comfortable yet.

It hasnā€™t even been one month since Iā€™ve had the babies so I know I have to be patient (Oct 23rd will be one month for Maxi, Oct 25th for Cupcake, and Nov 4th for Babycakes).

Thank you so much for the comforting and encouraging wordsšŸ¾šŸ¤—šŸ¾šŸ¤—šŸ¾

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that others have weighed in here with great advice. Thanks to those who posted with positive help and hit that purraise button! Hugs to them and to you! I am under the weather a bit right now but logged in to see how you are doing. Very well, I see! :woo:I do not feel you are. ā€œ in over your headā€ at all! That is a beautiful space and I have seen much smaller spaces. Oh my! I was trying to save cats from an emergency situation and I had to buy and borrow crates from every source I could find quickly. Most of the local rescuers I know personally are sometimes taking care of a lot of kitties at once and have to figure out where they can put them. Recently I found four kittens and NO shelter had space but a rescuer knew that I needed help and did take them. It was a scramble for us both but three were adopted within a week. It was just a matter of us doing what we could to save the lives and figuring out the rest later. Lol We survived and lives were saved. The kittens are all doing great now.
I agree with tabbytom tabbytom that spaying and neutering of any kitty with active hormones will help to keep the peace. If the mom is full feral then she is going to need more time than a semi feral or stray:dumped kitty to adjust. I can tell you that of all the ferals that have stayed with me as resident cats, they have ALL found happiness. In fact, they prefer the bed or sofa over outside any time. I do have a room that I finally converted to a cat room. Windows all around and all kitty stuff everywhere. However, they still want to be where I am after some watching time.
Keeping the catio as their safe haven is an excellent plan. Slow and steady. Keep a routine going and enjoy spending time just laying on the floor (belly up) keeping them company, napping in the room with them or sharing mealtimes with them. Announce yourself when you enter the room. Maybe look up some ā€œcat calmingā€ music online for them. Feliway makes calming diffusers that many find helpful and I always try catnip. I rub it on my shoes, clothes and new toys. Some cats donā€™t care about catnip but mine love it. I find some brands of catnip are not great while others are a big hit here. You might leave a shirt you have worn or a blanket you use with the kitties so they get to investigate your scent. Scent is important to kitties and it helps them to recognize you. Donā€™t do any long stares at them because predators stare and you want them to understand you are never a threat. You obviously love these kitties already and that tells me that you will be quick to use your instincts and they will know. Cats are so smart! Be very patient. They may not all be ā€œlap catsā€ but they will all figure out that they are loved and will return that love. Rescues are so very appreciative. As soon as they get to know their great new world, you will see them change for the better. They will sleep their first secure sleep. No more freezing rain, scary thunder, predators or starving days. You can rest well now too, knowing they are safe. The rest will come in time. I will be checking back when I am feeling better and as I can. You already have great supporters right here. TCS is the right place to be. I found the site when I needed it and I never left. I hope your doggies are doing okay too.
Thank you for being kind? You are most welcome. I would have to say that I must be the one to thank you! I am grateful you made such great efforts to save lives. Every life counts but not everyone cares. Thank you!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
When do I know itā€™s time? Specifically, when do I open the Catio doors for them to roam the room? And do I stay in the room? Or should I leave (I have a camera set up so Iā€™ll definitely watch).
The time is not yours but theirs. When they are ready, they'll explore. They may explore with caution and may quickly retreat back to the catio which is normal. As long a you leave the catio as a safe place for them.

You play by ear on when to open the door. As long as you're done packing and rearranging the room and making sure it's cat safe and escape proof, you may leave the catio door open for them and let them explore the room at their own time.

Yes, leave their scents around the room and also you may leave your clean, unwashed non perfumed garments around too so that they get used to your scents.

I believe that they'll get used to you very quickly as you work in the room almost everyday. They' get used to your presence and the slight sounds you make like typing on the keyboard and talking over zoom meetings.

You may play light classical music for them when you are not I the room and also it's a good idea to install a camera so that you can track them.

Just as what Jcatbird Jcatbird mentioned, don't state at them or look them in their eyes especially Babycakes's eyes. Always do the all important slow eye blinks with them and whisper sweet nothings into their ears. While doing the slow eye blinks, try to catch and see if they respond to your slow eye blinks which will indicate how comfortable they are at the present moment.

Remember, love, patience and routine rules the day.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
These were not chosen 'pets'. They are cats that were outside in a bitter winter and are way better off where they are. This forum is about 'Caring for Strays and Ferals'. Please consider this before responding in this forum.