Desperately Need Advice/3 Cats/litterbox

cinngirl70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I have 3 cats ages 5-10 who have free range of my house. Basement has always been area for litterboxes and feeding with little or no problems. There have been a lot of changes recently: Number one, we introduced my daughter's kitten last November. He visits every couple of weekends. At first he was not a big deal, but lately the other cats are really annoyed with him and my 5 yr old (female) has been freaking out when he visits. Number two, we put a coal bin in the basement and found they were using it as a giant litter box. The basement flooded about 2 months ago and this might be when they started the coal bin as a litter box. Not sure though. Three, also two months ago, we started renovating basement to fix the flooding problem. I was searching for solutions to the cat pee smell and thought I needed to change their litter system. I switched to Breeze system with wood pellets and they seemed to be using it ok. But not sure if the change is a contributing factor? Finally, I've been refilling their water fountain a lot more lately. I've seen the oldest cat drinking quite a bit but he seems otherwise healthy and it has been hot and he has been more active in the summer weather. Also, the female loves to drink from the tub in the bathroom and we have been doing that a lot lately. I really dont know where to start in dealing with this. We sealed off the coal bin and cleaned it as best we could. I am keeping the boxes super clean (I have 4 boxes) but wondering if I should put out one of their old boxes with the clump litter? Today I am getting an enzyme cleaner and black light. I am really afraid that my entire basement will show cat pee! I am also getting a Feliway diffuser.
(Also, this past weekend daughter's kitten came and the female was just crazy upset, hissing and howling at him even from the other room. I found litterboxes overturned twice and today found 3 puddles and a poop behind basement stairs.) I am ready to cry here. I need advice. Where do I start?

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First, if possible I would cut off visits with the kitten. Having a new cat come in and out of the house randomly is obviously upsetting your cats so unless there’s some type of desperate reason the kitten can’t be left alone for awhile while your daughter visits I would just tell your daughter to not bring the kitten.
Second I would move all of the boxes out from the basement and into the main house all in separate areas/rooms and close the basement off until you have time to clean, renovate, and let it air out (do u have basement windows you can open?)
Third, do you have 4 breeze boxes?? I would only use two with those pellets and make two a familiar clay litter. I and my cats loveeee everclean. Best clay litter you’ll ever find for odors and clumping.
I tried feliways and I didn’t find it helpful with litter box issues. But some people do have success with it if used correctly.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree that bringing the kitten into a house of cats that are becoming more and more bothered by it isn't a good idea, plus you're running the risk of transferring fleas etc.

If you find that the feliway doesn't seem to have a significant impact, there are a lot of other calming products on the market - thunderease and sentry have diffusers, plus there are collars, treats, sprays, wipes...

Along with the kitten, there are a number of things going on that are stressing your furbuddies. I'd get your cats in to the vet - it's much better to have the vet say everything is ok rather than assuming so and then possibly finding out it isn't.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the others that it probably is time to stop bringing the kitten for visits. If he were going to be moving in, I'd post post the links to the cat introduction articles, but successful cat introductions take more than a weekend, and would probably have to be done every time the kitten visited.

Also, a vet checkup is probably a good idea, especially for the 10 year old who is drinking more than usual. Excessive water drinking can be a sign of thyroid issues or diabetes.

With 3 cats, the recommendation would be 4 litter boxes spread out about the house.

Here's the links to the litterbox avoidance articles:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

How To Remove Cat Urine

And stress:
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cinngirl70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the help. I've made appointments for all cats, but they won't get in until the second week of July. I'm going to put out some boxes with their old litter. I've cleaned up all the puddles and things are nice and quiet in the house (kitten is gone). Thanks again!