Desperately Looking For An Answer To Our Litter Box Fiasco

nollie317

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me just say before I start that we have tried (almost) everything to solve this problem.

We have a 14 year old, male cat who has been with us since he was a kitten. Last year moved from a large home into an apartment. His adjustment seemed easy. We are using the same model litter box as before, we've just added disposable liners (The litterbox is a ModCat).

Over the last 2 months, he refuses to use the litter box, but only for number 1. He goes in the same spot, on the mat, outside of the box, everyday. We have changed litter brands 3 times, nothing. We added a nightlight by the box. We took him to the vet, certain he had a bladder problem, and a large bill later find out he's perfectly healthy.

Recently, I noticed his water bowl has been very "dusty". I also noticed some unexplainable water droplets on our bathroom floor and occasional sand or dust(?) in our toilet. Last night, I woke up to find him with his paws and arms in the toilet, seemingly washing his paws. I seriously couldn't make this up if I tried. Low and behold when I checked the box, he had just wet outside.

We are so desperate at this point to figure out what's wrong with him or this GD box. The wooden floors underneath are blackening and his behavior is upsetting our other cat. We have a really humane option to re-home him (he would just go live with our family in the house he came from last year) but we truly don't want that. I know moves can be tough on pets but it has been a year and this issue is relatively new, so we don't think that's the problem. And again, he is using the box for #2. Also yes, we have 2 litter boxes, and the pretty much use "theirs" exclusively.

My question is has anyone else observed such odd behavior from their cat, ESPECIALLY the "hand washing", is there anything you did to fix the problem, does anyone have any advice!? We are going crazy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Here are some thoughts;
Put puppy pee pads down, until this gets squared away.
I doubt his behavior is bothering the other cat but your stress levels likely are because cats are sponges for human emotions.

My guess is that there was another animal in that apartment prior to you living there but I don't know about that since you've been there for a year, or he doesn't like the disposable liners, or somebody has moved into another apartment with an animal that's bothering your guy. This last could be contributing to your other cats discontent too.

Check into calming products, there are diffusers, collars, treats, and an amazing array of different ingredients that are used in the different brands.

If you haven't started to do this, keep the toilet lid down - there are models on the market that have an automated slow close if you'd need to do that :). I'm thinking that if you keep the bathroom door closed, you could actually inadvertently cause peeing in different locations.

Add more water bowls including one or two that are elevated off the floor, his drinking that icky water isn't good.

If you're seeing dust in the water, the litter you're using is too dusty. You could try dr elseys respiratory relief crystals, or do a combination like I am, as an example, of arm&hammer multicat (because I like the clumping) and littermaid's walnut litter. The walnut actually absorbs the dust from the bentonite clay, good for your cat as well as for you.
You could look into a different style litter box, just in case that makes a difference.

There are some articles about inappropriate peeing in the library of this site, but I don't know if those would help much with your situation. I hope something I've posted helps!

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Before you do anything else, have a vet check him for an possible UTI. Peeing out of the box is often the first symptom of a urinary tract infection. Peeing hurts, and they associated the pain with the box, rather than their own bodies. SO, get that off the table, first thing.

Should that not be the issue, here are some articles that can help you:

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory (this marking can manifest as peeing, as well)
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping

Let us know how he is doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nollie317

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet said no UTI so that's ruled out. Last night we didn't have any incidents and that was with a temporary litter I read might help- the lightweight Tidy Cats. We also added the puppy pads and removed the liner of the box, and put an additional water bowl nearby. I'm starting to consider the possibility that this is all stemming from a small procedure he had months ago to remove an ingrown nail from the pad of his paw- maybe since the antibiotics and bandaid came off his paw is just extra sensitive.

Thank you so much for the thoughtful responses!!

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, no UTI. Other points: You moved in last year and this started happening two months ago - so I don't think it's likely that he's picking up on a prior animal scent. He's only peeing outside the box and not pooping. He's washing his paws. He's 14.

I'm going to just toss this one out here as an alternative observation. His behavior has some characteristics of dementia, or cognitive dysfunction, which can happen in elderly cats. I don't think he's washing his paws but attacking the strange cat he sees in the water's reflection. Litterbox habits can change, and he might think that outside the pan is normal.

Talk to your vet about cognitive dysfunction and see if there is a recommended veterinary choline supplement for his meals. It's a safe dietary supplement that, to some degree, does seem to help humans and animals with age-related cognitive deficits.

You can also put out a classic open pan next to his Modkat and see if that might spark his interest. And get a cut of vinyl flooring or a big plastic mat to place under the cat pans, to protect the wood floors. :)

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to consider the possibility that this is all stemming from a small procedure he had months ago to remove an ingrown nail from the pad of his paw- maybe since the antibiotics and bandaid came off his paw is just extra sensitive.
Is he favoring that paw? You'll see him slightly lift the injured paw up while he's sitting upright, and he'll groom that paw more. He'll also stride with a slight limp.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You may be onto something, and although a noticable limp might confirm it, not seeing a limp does not rule it out, either. Many poor declawed cats do not have overtly noticable limps, but still have hypersensitive, sore paws, and therefore litter box issues. One would think that it would affect both poop and pee, but not always, as the drive to cover the poop is much stronger. Cats use urine to mark territory, after all, so that drive is far less.