Desperate for Help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering now what signs I should be looking for to allow a little supervised time together.  I know there is no magic forumla, but here is where we are 40hrs+ after the ordeal.

Si (the one who attacked)

1.  Eating fine, litter box usage normal, (all of which were even after the ordeal), and our regular daily play sessions with numerous toys and 'da Bird all normal.

2.  He has continued since yesterday to play paws beneath our bathroom door with Monty.  Even when I crack the door to let them make eye contact there is no hissing or growling.

3.  I allowed the bathroom door open enough for them to touch noses or faces.  They nose bumped each other, no growling or hissing.  Si seems more curious also as to why his movement throughout our home is restricted.

Monty

1.  Seemed yesterday during those 8min still apprehensive of Si; however it is very clear he wants to be with him/us in the same room.  We have been room swapping numerous times throughout the day and my DH and I just spending quality time in whichever room with whichever cat.

2.  He continues to play paws beneath the door with his brother, seems to really want out but I think that's just to get back to free reign of our living space as he was accustomed to.

3.  Continues to eat fine, a bit confused as to his bowls being in a different spot than he's accustomed to.  Litter habits normal, plays hard with the DH and I like he always has.

I really, really, really do not want to rush anything.   But I'm wondering when; when will it be a good time to reintroduce a little time together to see how this are really going.  My gut is just in knots with worry as I don't want ANYthing else to happen like this ever again.

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Although I won't be letting my guard down anytime soon (regarding the ferals that created this incident) .. I am happy to say that after a series of very promising signs from our oldest boy, I decided to let them interact, with both of us watching his body language like a hawk of course.

I wasn't sure if I was going to faint or have a heart attack when the youngest ran right up on, and I mean just like they used to do one another to instigate play.   And play is EXACTLY what they did.  Chased each other all over the house, wrestled, ate together just like it never happened.  *tears of joy here*

They finally settled and spent an hour together in front of our front heater vent loving and grooming each other.  The oldest was even belly up being groomed by the youngest.  If cats experience happiness as we humans do, then the youngest is so very happy to be back with his brother, head bumping and body rubbing.

We have decided to keep our windows closed and just run the vent fans or air conditioners for noise in hopes of keeping any cat calls from the ferals from being heard.  I know cats hear stuff I'll never hear, but feel it I can lessen those sounds it will better for all of us rather than chance the oldest hearing or acting out again.   I can only pray that just seeing one doesn't produce any results either.   Seeing ferals had previously had no impact on the oldest since we got here in November.  Watching them come and go all hours outside has never produced anything except the swift tail swishing.  No chattering, now yowling, and he does the same swish with birds, squirrels, etc.

Fortunately, for the past 24hrs, we have seen no ferals anywhere near our RV on this side of the campground.  I don't know what that means but it's good news for us.  And we have washed the RV top to bottom and the undercarriage where the fight took place with both soap and water and coated it with Nature's Miracle for cats.  The urine destroyer product.

And thankfully after reading nearly every thread on here regarding redirected aggression, it's causes, etc. there are several people to thank for their care, concern and suggestions.  This has never even dawned on me until this event, but I will absolutely make sure both here, and our future travels, to purchase a number of products recommended to keep any future feral cats away from our RV.

Please keep your fingers crossed for all of us that this was a once in a lifetime event!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is such good news.  I think it helped so much that you were proactive in your efforts.  It's a good idea to not let them see outside just yet.  Yet gradually you will want to let them see out again.  Just keep an eye and if you see the ferals move the cats or close the blinds! 

I only wish I could open my windows now!  It's 18 degrees with a windchill of 8!

Keep us posted on any change.

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

This is such good news.  I think it helped so much that you were proactive in your efforts.  It's a good idea to not let them see outside just yet.  Yet gradually you will want to let them see out again.  Just keep an eye and if you see the ferals move the cats or close the blinds! 

I only wish I could open my windows now!  It's 18 degrees with a windchill of 8!

Keep us posted on any change.
Thank you!  We're only getting to 56 degrees today after another small cold front moved in, but I guess that sounds like a heat wave to you.  Yesterday it was 70 degrees.  I don't even know why the South refers to it as winter.  LOL

I'm also still in contact with a local TNR lady who has put out calls to LSU's veterinary program to see if they are capable of relocating the colony after sterilization.  Unfortunately here, with limited to no financial resources available, she has to use the shelters to affordably sterilize any she traps, and their lives primarily depend on being adopted out.  She said it took her 3wks to place the last 2 she trapped.  If a business or property won't allow them to be returned to their spot, they have no options except to wait it out in the shelters with a sadly certain fate should they not be adopted.  The relocation, although stressful, would be a far better option so they could remain in the wild rather than terrified at a shelter.

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Stephie!    We seem to be 100% back to normal here which has been such a load off my heart & mind.