From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Can these self warming pads get wet without hurting a feral cat? I'm on crutches and trying to do what I can in my horrible injury to keep this cat from dying.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's self-warming, I'm assuming no electricity is involved? I don't think a self-warming pad getting wet would hurt a cat.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I didn't clarify. It is not recommended to use rugs or blankets in feral cat shelters because it can cause the cat to freeze to death (when it gets wet). I'm wanting to know if this holds true for self warming pads. No it does not have electric, I'm just wanting to know how it works if a cat with wet paws gets on one in the cold.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! I see now.

I don't think just having wet paws, like from snow, would be an issue, especially if you could monitor and take the pad out if need be. If the shelter isn't watertight or the whole cats gets wet, like from a rainstorm, that would be concerning.

You can line the shelters with either straw or hay (I can't remember which) to combat wetness issues.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea the cats are terrified of the straw. Go figure. The only thing they'll go into is a cat tent but it is up against the wall of the house, the self warming pad inside and 2 are in there huddling right now. I have 2 shelters with straw but they won't have anything to do with them, even with treats or catnip thrown inside.

And sadly due to our area we have to lock up and set alarm at dark so hopefully they'll be ok tonight.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
That's ok. I guess the cats know best. Hopefully they'll be smart enough to take proper shelter if the weather gets too bad. They ran Shaman off again (indirectly) but she ate quite a bit today so I'm not worried about it. She survived last year's winter in St Louis 20 below with 40 below wind chills so I'm sure she'll survive 27 with an 18 wind chill. Shadow as well but Cooper is a dumped and abandoned pet that joined the colony in May.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
They survived last night. No sign of Shaman on cam but I’m sure she’ll come running when she sees me. Sadly the food and water froze on them though. No way to sneak past Mom on crutches to turn off alarm and change their water. They went 10 hours without. :(
97751A62-4331-4700-8FD3-9F2F0393B47E.jpeg
ABB70915-213D-4707-B860-88E66FD2DC03.png

I’m crying over this. Cooper keeps trying to drink the water. 😩

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shadow is still in tent. Cooper, I guess decided to find a kitty diner that was open .

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So I figured it out: The cats eat only 2.2 or 2.3 oz per meal before they start playing around, chasing or being scared off. Even after 16 hours of no food. So I may have cats that eat every couple of hours. Now to figure this out. Ugh I hate that I'm so poor at math and all. BTW I have to break the feedings down to 8 hours time. :(

Still crying over the water tragedy though

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to go outside on crutches to get the snow off the walk or Mom will kick me out. Ugh she has no sympathy for me at all. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So I got Shaman to come inside the basement door for a few minutes. She didn't wander off, she stayed right by me so I'm thinking I may bring her inside at meal times so she can get her food. She finally did eat her day's allowance until Cooper woke up and she took off. I also dried her off real well when she came inside. And guess what Mom isn't upstairs sneezing or having allergic fits. Of course if Shaman meows Mom will know.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Today’s temperature and Cooper is playingin the snow. Meanwhile I"m inside the house thermostat at 75 as demanded by our village with 3 pairs of pants, 4 pairs of socks, 4 shirt and a sweater, 4 blankets and a huge thermos of coffee and I"m still freezing. I tell you injuring yourself leaves you cold, weak and vulnerable. I used to be able to go outside in just short sleeves in 15 degree weather until I hurt myself 18 months ago and the additional injuries is making it that much worse. :(

767CF93A-F4FD-440E-B11A-537B566510AA.png

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
And this is one reason why I don't like AIs (Alexa or Siri or others)

Me: Alexa, how much snow did we get last night
Alexa: You have fitbit enabled. Would you like to open it.

?????

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart is breaking in two. Cooper ran Shaman off again. I can't stand outside 24/7 to be sure she eats. The basement thing was a good idea but Mom is downstairs screaming and all that stuff. It never ends. Shaman needs to eat at some time. :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok an observation. I am noticing that when the weather is sunny the cats get along. But if it's bitter cold, or rainy or snowing there's fighting. I'm not understanding? You would think that cats would tolerate each other in cold weather so they can huddle together for warmth? Maybe I"m dense but I don't get it.

Now they're outside laying side by side (Cooper and Shaman). I'm still not getting it. Enemies one minute, friends the next?

No she's screaming that I was earning money because I'm wasting her 50 cents a year electric

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But if it's bitter cold, or rainy or snowing there's fighting
I think they get cranky, in part because they just get cranky about it all, but also because there's an instinctual thing going on that they feel the need to be territorial about the food source in bad weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.