Description for newly adopted cat!

kk_yoshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I adopted this guy about a week ago (my first cat ever!), and he has been an absolute delight! He loves head scratches, cuddling, and especially loves playtime. The shelter had just described him as domestic shorthair, but I was wondering if there was a more detailed description someone could give me. I was initially interested in meeting him after seeing him on the shelter website because I thought he could have some Russian Blue in him, which I had read are good for allergies. I'm not sure if this is accurate at all, but it did lead to me meeting him and bringing him home (and haven't had any allergy problems either!). Thanks in advance :)
79A32F3B-A6BF-4CEE-9802-59DA6F93DBFF.JPG IMG_5413.jpg IMG_5370.jpg IMG_5350.jpg IMG_5307.JPG

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:kitty: Congratulations on your new kitty! He's absolutely beautiful, and those eyes are just stunning! I don't know for sure, but I'd probably say a DSH? I'm not very good at this doing this lol, I mostly just wanted to comment on how gorgeous he is.
Also, a warm welcome to TCS! :woo:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He certainly is gorgeous!

Technically he can't be anything but a DSH without registered documentation.The mutations that give various breeds their distinctive coloring were already present in the domestic cat gene pool before the breeds originated/were bred, so it's very common to have domestic short haired cats with the same colors as a purebred without having any of that breed's heritage. It's not possible to know for sure unless you get a genetic test done, but maybe wait a few years for the gene library to get a bit better and the price to come down.

Glad your allergies are doing well! Every now and then I come across a cat that I'm not allergic to at all. Very hard to predict, but it does happen!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's such a handsome fellow! :redheartpump:

I agree with the other posters, I would describe your guy as a blue domestic shorthair. Most cats aren't any particular breed, and aren't mixes of breeds. The blue color is simply a recessive trait, which doesn't indicate ancestry from one of the "blue breeds."

It's great that you are not reacting to him. Claims of hypoallergenic breeds are largely marketing hype, since allergies are very individual... each person with an allergy might have a stronger or weaker reaction to different individual cats, or different breeds.