Depression in My Cat

MsKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently I had to separate my two cats from each other for the protection of both of them due to redirected aggression. So, I have the two that get along (the aggressor and one of her sisters) in the Master Bedroom with plenty of space and food and water and cat box. Window to look out of. So that part it good. However the victim cat who is downstairs in the living/dining room also has plenty of space, own bathroom, cat box, food and water. However after three days the victim cat is getting depressed and lonely. Mewing and hiding lately (like today and yesterday afternoon). She is confused and likely missing her friends. Question 1. How can I help her depression? Question or Rather Point 2. I did take a piece of clothing upstairs the the victim had been petted with etc and tried to pet the aggressor who turned on me snarling and swatting. Clearly this tactic is not going to work. Meantime I have Feliway diffusers which does not seem to be comforting her. Catnip.. Feliway atomizer. New toys. Nothing helps. She does eat but not as much as before all this. (Me too I am also stressed ) Any helpful ideas on dealing with depression would be welcome. Thank you I am so glad I found this site.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry though for the situation that brought you here.

Is it just the one cat that is aggressive towards the victim? If so, could you let her spend time with the non-aggressor, or would that just stress the aggressor out more when they smelled the other cat's scent.

Hopefully keeping them separated for a bit, then doing a slow re-introduction will get things back to normal.

Until you get the Feliway, which may not make a difference, you could try dapping a drop of pure vanilla extract on each of the cats, so that all smell the same.
the Ode to vanilla extract

Also here's an article on Separation Anxiety In Cats – TheCatSite Articles which might be helpful.