depression in cats?

molly9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 9year old female maine coon named molly[emoji]128571[/emoji] she is an indoor cat few months ago she got fleas i treated her and they seem to have gone, but things in the house hold have changed and her behavior is different she has been chewing on her side so bad you can see red bleeding skin, it would get better and she would do it again my ex fiance was living her since shes been with us 4 years, he is no longer here due to domestic violence issue wondering if its possible that molly is depressed people have said they get that way when theres a change, molly was with him all day while i worked, but ihe has been gone 2 months now, she also seems to be hungry all the time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depression in felines is definitely not something new.

As for the biting, I do know animals - such as cats and dogs - can "self harm" in a way. It can range from excessive licking until the skin is raw, or anxious biting like you described here.

Have you considered giving your cat enrichment? Cats are very intelligent animals, and they can get bored if they don't have anything to play with. I'd suggest getting one of those puzzles designed for cats. Basically you put treats into the puzzle, and the cat can work their paws to get the treats out. It's great mental simultation and gives your kitty a sense of accomplishment while keeping her busy. I know the company Trixie makes some really nice ones, and there's a handful sold on Amazon, My Ollie loves his.

Of course, give your cat lots of love and attention. She's a very smart cat, and can notice change when someone leaves or something bad is happening.

There's also scent essences for felines sold by Jackson Galaxy and other companies. Scents can usually calm an anxious cat down if anxiety is an issue here.

What kind of food does Molly eat?

Last edited:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I don't advocate the Spirit Essence line (it's not even scent, just alcohol and so-called "energies") but I support everything else @Zylaai  said. 

Stress is a very real issue with cats and yes, you can help alleviate stress. I'm going to add a few links here to articles that deal with stress in cats but wanted to suggest a vet visit as well. There could be something wrong with her physically. Physical ailments can be caused by stress and can cause stress (and the two options aren't mutually exclusive). 
[article="30307"]Is Your Cat Stressed Out  [/article][article="30316"]Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats  [/article]
And this one, which may be relevant to the situation with your ex fiance - 
[article="30312"]Separation Anxiety In Cats  [/article]
Please let us know how she's doing. Read the links and let's see how we can help you help her. Good luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When my teenage daughter left for college and took her cat with her, my old kitty (16-17) would go into her room and just howl. It was sad. I would of course go and get her and comfort her, but she was missing my daughter and the other cat.

A Feliway diffuser can work wonders. So could getting a companion cat if you think it would be helpful.

It does sound like your cat is missing her old buddy. Cats do grieve, for sure.

The side-biting sounds like stress, but a vet check is warranted. She may need an antibiotic and/or anxiety meds for a spell.

I hope you can help her to get back to health soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

molly9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Usually I give her dry food. She didn't like wet,but she seemed to want more wasn't eating as much dry so I tried wet Again she liked it I give her 1/2 can plus dry but again always seems she is hungry

camillel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that used to lick herself raw. I took her to the vet and she was placed on Prozac 5mg for anxiety and depression After 2 weeks she was my sweet, energetic kitty again and no more licking. Take yours to the vet and see what they say

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should feed her more if she's hungry. I would feed the wet 2x per day one can in the morning and one in the evening with dry down in between. The food may help to calm her.