Depression in a 5 yo prior outdoor cat now only inside?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I envy your energy & heart & desire alot! :)

I'm just happy I became a kitty person over the past 12 yrs or so. It began w/ a black cat named, Boo, he passed in Sep. '08 of total renail fail. I was devastated, tho it was not really MY cat alone but my roomie's back then. Roomie was so neglectful of vet care, etc. & I had no idea re cat health. The day my g/f & I took him to vet for my roomie & paid the bill, as roomie wanted him asap put down instead of my hope to let him live, I was devastated to hear of his kidneys.

So we paid his sub-Q, & other neglected things my roomie did to him :( (unbenownst to us) etc. (really this poor baby's ONLY vet trip other than a neuter in '05 which I convinced & took my roomie to) but a wk later he needed to be put down. We took him, held him, cried w/ him & for him & then he kicked his last kick. I was so upset I couldn't drive home from vet's for a long time. I got his remains in an urn to this day & will display them -- if we ever more to a home not this apt. But you see when & why cats now, mean so much & I worry so much re health.

Ok, just spoke to vet's! Tech said he did not ever HAVE, period, a 2nd testes thus the testicular cancer risk is gone. I didn't understand all this til now. I posted a thread re Cryptorchid in Health forums too.

TY again for your valuable stories & insight re all this medical info. :)
Excellent news re: health! *One of our beloved cats, the son of the community matriarch, and his family all got S/N by us. He had a penchant for two of his sisters, though. I was worried and called our vet, asking him about this. His response? LAUGHTER! and 'let him have his fun' :mad: He assured me there was no risk of either of his sisters becoming pregnant.
Fast forward to very recently, when our Elvis, also neutered, of course, tried his very best with our beloved angel Tarifa, who just left us on the 17th. Over and over and over, during the past months, he tried. She was having none of it, but, sweet thing that she was, she tolerated his unwanted attentions--most of the time. There were a few times, though, when she'd whap him and/or hiss. I never heard her hiss any other time in the over 17 years she was with me.

Sub-Q can buy some quality time. I'm sorry it was so short with your loved one. When our beloved Moti angel was diagnosed with CRF, I learned how to give Sub-Q and it bought us 7 good months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tara, again the SOLE reason I'm on this site -- cats! I know much of what you say too, as our feral was still after females too after his neuter in Dec. I had no idea, nor did vet til July 2, that he was already fully fixed.

TY for sharing & I know cats can grow on you. This feral guy reminds me so much of Boo, that my g/f thinks he was sent to me as a gift by Boo. B/c of Boo's life & untimely passing, I have opened my heart to these beautiful creatures. TY Boo for giving life to other's. I cannot TY enough Baby Boo, & I miss you so very much to this day, as you're in my heart FOREVER & YOUR passing gave LIFE to others. Ok, I'm in tears need to regroup. :(

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tara, again the SOLE reason I'm on this site -- cats! I know much of what you say too, as our feral was still after females too after his neuter in Dec. I had no idea, nor did vet til July 2, that he was already fully fixed.

TY for sharing & I know cats can grow on you. This feral guy reminds me so much of Boo, that my g/f thinks he was sent to me as a gift by Boo. B/c of Boo's life & untimely passing, I have opened my heart to these beautiful creatures. TY Boo for giving life to other's. I cannot TY enough Baby Boo, & I miss you so very much to this day, as you're in my heart FOREVER & YOUR passing gave LIFE to others. Ok, I'm in tears need to regroup. :(
How I empathize, having just lost our beloved angel Tarifa on the 17th. Elvis wanted her for his paramour, and looks for her everywhere. Baby Su, who was born feral, is only bonded to me, but if she has ever liked any cat, it's definitely been Tarifa, the sweetest, friendliest, most social cat I have ever known -- and I have known a LOT of cats, having been born into a house "with cat" and living almost every day of my life "with cats".
IMG_1784.JPG

*An "R"-rated scene: Baby Su looking on in shocked surprise as Elvis attempts and Tarifa gives no resistance, but also no encouragement.*

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is kinda funy & I hiss back & he looks up & stares as if to say, 'what'd you just do to me?'
I know it's cute but hissing might be sending him mixed messages. Try meowing or another friendly sound.

They make birdfeeders you can suction cup to the outside of a window of sprinkles some on the outside window sill. Just make sure the window is strong enough to withstand him hitting it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think tho that since for 3 yrs plus been feeding him daily yet from a short distance (at 1st outdoors in AZ & now at least, indoors in his own room) that he'll mistrust & hide in room or closet again. I got him to trust enough to go in there & kneel near him & look at him & feed him a bowl, etc. But never close enough where I thought to reach & touch him. I worry he'll revert back to fear of me?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think tho that since for 3 yrs plus been feeding him daily yet from a short distance (at 1st outdoors in AZ & now at least, indoors in his own room) that he'll mistrust & hide in room or closet again. I got him to trust enough to go in there & kneel near him & look at him & feed him a bowl, etc. But never close enough where I thought to reach & touch him. I worry he'll revert back to fear of me?
Worrying is anticipating something negative and no one knows the future, so maybe instead, you can visualize and think of the opposite, that he will realize he CAN trust you! It's worth a try, yes?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Positive vibes are felt by a cat just as much as negative ones

Try just sitting on the floor near him when you're on your phone or laptop, and sometimes read to him, for a couple weeks. Don't pressure him although a wand toy could be good, but I still think letting him come to you is ok :)