depressing read and a little advice

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having a bit of a pity party today. My husband was diagnosed with fatty liver disease many years ago. In the past year it has gotten MUCH worse. This past week I have seen a marked difference in him. It is like what I imagine living with an Alzheimers patient is like. He is confused a lot of the time, and cognitive functions are going downhill. He gets easily frustrated and can't do much now. It is difficult to see your husband of 43 years slowly disappearing. So to those of you who have partners I say, TREASURE them and tell them that you love them or better yet show them! Don't go to bed mad - you are not guaranteed tomorrow. Time could be short, especially now with Covid 19 still running rampant.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sorry you are going through this, it is so difficult to watch the ones we love struggling and not being able to help. I can also understand your husbands frustration. Enjoy the time you have together, make the most of each day. We are thinking of you both.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having a bit of a pity party today. My husband was diagnosed with fatty liver disease many years ago. In the past year it has gotten MUCH worse. This past week I have seen a marked difference in him. It is like what I imagine living with an Alzheimers patient is like. He is confused a lot of the time, and cognitive functions are going downhill. He gets easily frustrated and can't do much now. It is difficult to see your husband of 43 years slowly disappearing. So to those of you who have partners I say, TREASURE them and tell them that you love them or better yet show them! Don't go to bed mad - you are not guaranteed tomorrow. Time could be short, especially now with Covid 19 still running rampant.
I'm so sorry. My MIL passed away in January after many years of bad health (Long story). She was also in the early stages of dementia. The whole process of watching someone slip away and being unable to do anything is awful. She's at peace now and she has been reunited with my DH. He passed away suddenly almost 9 years ago. It's not easy either way. Please let him know we are thinking of him and both of you are in our hearts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There has been some evidence that gall bladder removal may be linked to developing fatty liver disease from what I have read. My husband had his out 40 years ago. Until last year not one doctor mentioned a transplant.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry. Does your husband get much exercise? The reason I ask is that it really does help. When I was diagnosed with a severe case of Type 2 diabetes 15 years I also had FLD. But as I went from none to daily exercise my liver numbers returned to normal. Of course he should be talking with his doctor about it and also cognitive changes. Also is his blood sugar okay because that can cause cognitive issues as well.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It is like what I imagine living with an Alzheimers patient is like. He is confused a lot of the time, and cognitive functions are going downhill.
My sister went through a similar situation with her husband when he was diagnosed with non-cirrhosis of the liver. She also said it affected his memory at times and caused confusion because the liver can not adequately remove toxins from the blood. The build up of toxins in the bloodstream can cause harm to the brain.

My heart goes out to you and please know that we are always here for support. :hugs: Thinking of you and sending hugs.:grouphug:

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's absolutely awful to watch a close loved one deteriorate and none of us can imagine the pain you're going through, even if we have been through something similar. It is so so ok to have a "pity party" as you put it. Make sure you have some time to be on your own where you don't need to be brave if you can. Grief comes in many many forms and what you are feeling is a form of grief. Samaritans are there 24/7 and they 100% will just talk to you (800) 273-TALK . It can be so lonely watching someone change day by day and caring for them leaves you very little time for recovery from the shock and changes yourself. Please do take some time out to care for YOU if you can x

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To answer the exercise question, no he doesn’t. He is very unsteady on his feet. In fact I have been asking him about getting a cane or walker. He has advanced from the mild symptoms to the more severe ones. He is diabetic as well as having hepatic encephalopathy. He was a math major in college and now numbers and time baffle him. My work in the garden is my escape. I do that before he gets up when it is cool enough.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a Rolator for walking and I bet he would enjoy going for walks. From what you've told us,
he would need someone with him. I am so very sorry.

Love
Mia xxx,💖 :hugs:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point I don't think he could even make it to our mailbox on the paved driveway. I am doing everything that has to be done outside now including taking the dogs out (the dogs are supposed to be his while the cats are supposed to be mine ;)). I spoke with one of his doctors yesterday and he is having his office call to set up an appointment that is closer than the one he had for the end of August. When I last asked about a liver transplant, I was told his numbers were bad enough yet - but given his symptoms now I don't see how they could NOT be. According to what I have read about hepatic encephalopathy he has the second stage (there are 3 stages) symptoms. The third stage is the end.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It has to be exhausting and so stressful. Does he check his blood sugar regular and stay in range? High blood sugar, even temporarily can make you very mentally fuzzy.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry for all that you are going through. :grouphug2:

And thank you for the reminder that time is short, and none of us is guaranteed tomorrow.