Depressed & Anxious Dog in Pain... What to do?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't blame Fisher for not wanting a picture taken of his scab/wound or being touched. Poor guy, it must be so painful and I'm sure he's sick and tired of being sick and tired. Hugs to both of you. 🤗 What a gorgeous boy!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fisher, honey baby!!

That looks awful, are they sure it isn't something that needs more aggressive treatment? Is it (hopefully) decreasing in size?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom we have been giving him antibiotic pills twice a day and using that antibiotic spray on it twice a day as instructed by the vet. It definitely seems to be healing, as the color was atrociously disgusting before, it has dried up and is no longer leaking disgusting fluid- but has yet to reduce in size. We're definitely keeping a close eye on it, of course.
The vet described it as a "hotspot" for bacteria and said that it was a really bad infection, so I'm assuming that means it will take some time to heal, unfortunately.
Thank you so much for your concern and support, though, it means the world 💕

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, my Lab used to get hot spots all the time, what is it with Labs and hot spots? None of my other dogs have gotten them. Anyway, yeah, they're nasty. Looks like it's healing nicely though!
A good friend of ours just informed us the same- Her labs used to get them all the time and that they're actually fairly common.
Such a relief to hear that from you guys, thank you!

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I am so happy to say that I think we are done with the difficulties!
His cone is now off, his hotspot is mostly healed, and he's doing great.
We'll probably take him to the vet for a scan to see if he needs to be neutered in a few weeks, but until then, let's hope he does good 💕 Thank you again for your continued support in the last month or so, everyone here appreciates it very much, Fisher included :)
P.S. he is right now showing off to me a shoe that he stole :lol2: Supposedly when they turn two they mellow out, but his 2nd birthday is on the 28th and he is showing no signs of slowing down and mellowing out :lol2:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I am so happy to say that I think we are done with the difficulties!
His cone is now off, his hotspot is mostly healed, and he's doing great.
We'll probably take him to the vet for a scan to see if he needs to be neutered in a few weeks, but until then, let's hope he does good 💕 Thank you again for your continued support in the last month or so, everyone here appreciates it very much, Fisher included :)
P.S. he is right now showing off to me a shoe that he stole :lol2: Supposedly when they turn two they mellow out, but his 2nd birthday is on the 28th and he is showing no signs of slowing down and mellowing out :lol2:
That is great news!! :clap:

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you klunick klunick , neely neely Furballsmom Furballsmom ! :grouphug:
Although, of course, we now just found out that Fisher has worms (tapeworms- we saw them in his stools)! :sigh:
However, I'm determined to not freak out too much. Hopefully, we'll be able to get them treated fast. 🙏

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, tapeworms are fairly rare in dogs, but a pill or spot-on will clear that up super fast.
Supposedly when they turn two they mellow out, but his 2nd birthday is on the 28th and he is showing no signs of slowing down and mellowing out
Haha, do Labs ever really grow up? Not really. . .🤪

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, tapeworms are fairly rare in dogs, but a pill or spot-on will clear that up super fast.

Haha, do Labs ever really grow up? Not really. . .🤪
Hahaha! Seriously though... They're just big babies! Often when he goes on a walk people will steer clear of him because they think he's a big, mean, dangerous dog, but he really is just a puppy who wants to play :lol2:
Fisher, sweetie ❣

Goodness, hang in there!!
Aw, thank you, you're so sweet :heartshape:

In a little over the past month, he's gotten "fixed," been depressed and anxious, actually didn't get fixed, bled like crazy, was depressed and anxious again, had a bacteria hotspot on his ear because he had an open wound on his ear (and the antibiotics for that caused him to itch like crazy), had an ear infection, and now has worms. One thing after another for this poor guy! He just can't seem to catch a break!

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't really related to the thread, but I'll share anyways: Yesterday was Fisher's 2nd birthday. To celebrate, here are some pictures of him throughout his life:
1606686968006.png

1606687497916.png

Fisher, 2 months^

1606687065067.png

4 months old
1606687188349.png

7 months old (he's a giant)
1606687231181.png

1 year old (he took the name "mud room" literally and rubbed mud ALL OVER the entire room)
1606687367736.png

A year and a half, looking at his friend who stole his chair
1606687536453.png

And him at 2 years, sleeping on his throne :)

He is officialy worm- free, and, althoguh I don't want to speak too soon again, I think he is healthy and happy again.
For now, let's hope that I don't have to post on this thread for a while.
God bless :)

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, if there's anything cuter and squishier than a Lab pup, I don't know what it is (and they're lucky they're cute!).

Did you ever have the other vet run tests to see if he got neutered or not? Or have you seen any behavioral changes that would indicate that his hormones are lower (less marking, etc.)?

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, if there's anything cuter and squishier than a Lab pup, I don't know what it is (and they're lucky they're cute!).

Did you ever have the other vet run tests to see if he got neutered or not? Or have you seen any behavioral changes that would indicate that his hormones are lower (less marking, etc.)?
We have not as of yet, but we are going to run tests with this vet. However, the vet recommended that we wait until after the holidays just so that we don't go through craziness with him during an already crazy time, so we'll be doing that in January :)
No, no behavioral changes, unfortunately. I honestly doubt that he was fixed. That stupid vet didn't seem to know what he was doing, and our other, good vet thinks that the lump he threw out was likely a lump of fat tissue.