Depo medrol

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am really puzzled..My cat had depo medrol last Tuesday, since then acting strangely, really lethargic...
Today I went again with him, he was sedated to have his blood taken, everything is normal.
The vet said that depo medrol does not cause lethargy. This is not what I read...
I feel really bad that I exposed my cat to yet another stress today...
But I am so worried when my cat just does not act normally and sleeps all day...
Hopefully this will change...

It all started from him getting some allergic reaction on his skin, which I think related to the bunch of flowers I received...they ware packed in a big box and my cat, of course, loved the box. Now I think it was full of toxins... from the flowers...the next day his eye was read and he started scratching badly, so he got this steroid and this changed him...

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I am really puzzled..My cat had depo medrol last Tuesday, since then acting strangely, really lethargic...
Today I went again with him, he was sedated to have his blood taken, everything is normal.
The vet said that depo medrol does not cause lethargy. This is not what I read...
I feel really bad that I exposed my cat to yet another stress today...
But I am so worried when my cat just does not act normally and sleeps all day...
Hopefully this will change...

It all started from him getting some allergic reaction on his skin, which I think related to the bunch of flowers I received...they ware packed in a big box and my cat, of course, loved the box. Now I think it was full of toxins... from the flowers...the next day his eye was read and he started scratching badly, so he got this steroid and this changed him...
Do you know what all types of flowers your received?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you know what all types of flowers your received?
I don't, it was a big bunch of flowers, packed in the box. I think they may have been sprayed with something to keep them fresh and that this remained in the box...

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't, it was a big bunch of flowers, packed in the box. I think they may have been sprayed with something to keep them fresh and that this remained in the box...
There are some flowers, such as lillies, that are highly toxic to cats and any part of the plant or just the pollen can be toxic. How is your kitty doing now?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would find out what kind of flowers were there. See if there were any lilies. Even the pollen from the lilies is toxic to cats. Very toxic.

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are some flowers, such as lillies, that are highly toxic to cats and any part of the plant or just the pollen can be toxic. How is your kitty doing now?
I don't think there were lilies, I attached a photo with flowers...
I think, as he played with the box, being in and out of it, something must have triggered some allergic response....

If you talk about flowers being toxic, what are the symptoms?
I hope he will not die...

There is nothing in his blood tests.
He is sleeping, but had a sedation yesterday for the blood test...

Attachments

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They look like tulips to me
Hmmm...I will be more careful in the future...
I think he did not eat any of them...
I still think that he may have responded to the toxins as they also tend to spray flowers, so they keep for longer...
He did not have any vomiting and digestive problems. More of eye and skin irritation...

He has been eating normally now and all the functions are back, was pleased that he managed to get his poo after couple of days and he seems to be urinating normally...

Climbed his favourite bookshelf!

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Glad that he is recovering. Everything about tulips/lilies is bad for cats, including any pollen. You were not to know that though.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like he's on the road to recovery. Thank goodness! We don't do fresh flowers in my house either because the cats like to nibble. If I get fresh flowers, I have to put them on the top of the fridge and block access to them. Makes it hard to enjoy them, but at least the cats are safe.

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was also the box they were delivered in, he played in it, and next day he had his eye sore and then skin problems...I think the box was loaded with pollen and toxins from some chemicals they add to keep the flowers fresh...

He is definitely better, still sleeping a lot, but more active and attend...more interested in the outside and restarted purring...
He got B12 shot on Monday ..

Attachments

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He still sleeps a lot more, but it is just two weeks post steroid injection.
Otherwise, he is just his usual self...