Dental treatment

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last week my 14 year old cat sandy had 5 teeth out does anyone know how long for the gums to heal.
Went for a check up today the vet said one side is healing alright but the other side isn't and told us to flush it out in salt water

TJandthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor kitty. I'm new here and don't want to give advice, but I'm thinking salt water has got to hurt (thinking of trying add salt to the wound). Maybe want to ask the vet about colloidal silver spray? A holistic vet in Canada recommends it for inflammed gums. Hope sandy recovers soon

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It depends, your kitty isn't the first where I've read that one side healed faster than the other. It just depends, unfortunately :)

How is she eating?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is eating alright I have been feeding him on wet food and pate

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It depends, your kitty isn't the first where I've read that one side healed faster than the other. It just depends, unfortunately :)

How is she eating?
He is eating alright I have been feeding him on wet food and pate

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can take up to two weeks or more. Someone had recently posted that their cat didn't fully recover until the sutures had finally dissolved. I think that took three or four weeks in their case. Sometimes extractions don't go smoothly and repeat dentals have to be performed to clear up any leftover fragments. But if he's eating alright, that's probably not the case.

As long as he doesn't have an open wound, a salt water flush is unlikely to cause him any discomfort. It should spare him from an unnecessary course of antibiotics.

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sandy went to the vet for a check up they said his gums are healing up alright I have noticed when he is eating I hear a crunching noise it isn't all the time just now and again

hurricanemix100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had 8 pulled and took a good 4-5 weeks to get back to normal eating habits. Had the same thing. One side healing good and other just ok. As long as they are eating their normal amount of food in a day I'd try not to worry.

I worried a lot, but eventually she got back to normal. I gave her dry food after about 4-5 days because she wasn't eating enough wet and stopped eating the wetted down dry food. She ate slower for sure but eventually ate her days allotment. My conclusion was with less teeth eating is just harder and they are getting used to it, so it takes longer. Plus the sutures can bother them. Once those dissolve and they get ues to their new mouth they figure it out eventually.

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had 8 pulled and took a good 4-5 weeks to get back to normal eating habits. Had the same thing. One side healing good and other just ok. As long as they are eating their normal amount of food in a day I'd try not to worry.

I worried a lot, but eventually she got back to normal. I gave her dry food after about 4-5 days because she wasn't eating enough wet and stopped eating the wetted down dry food. She ate slower for sure but eventually ate her days allotment. My conclusion was with less teeth eating is just harder and they are getting used to it, so it takes longer. Plus the sutures can bother them. Once those dissolve and they get ues to their new mouth they figure it out eventually.
Since having his teeth done I have noticed he isn't drinking as much he has the water in his wet food and he isn't peeing as much I only seen him go once yesterday.
He has been taking veraflox antibiotics and a pain killer do you think that has got anything to do with it

hurricanemix100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you clean the litter box once a day and having clumping litter? If not I'd suggest it. Then it's not about "noticing" how much they pee. You know. 3 clumps. They peed 3 times. Either way I'd still say if they are eating and drinking enough I wouldn't worry about it for like a month. They are going to be weird and eat and drink differently for a while after having the traumatic vet experience and having a weird new mouth to figure out how to use. I'd only get worried if they eat or drink way less or stop completely. Especially if the vet doesn't seem that concerned at the follow up. I know it's hard when they are being different than before. I worried for weeks. What does it mean? Is something wrong? But in the end all the worrying was for nothing. It went back to normal. It just took longer than the 1-2 weeks the internet mostly says.