Dental / Tartar Removal

SkittlesTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At my cat's recent wellness checkup, the vet noted that my cat, Skittles, has tartar build-up and possibly gingivitis. Skittles is approximately 7-8 years old (not sure exactly how old as he was taken in as a stray 5 years ago). The quote for the dental cleaning was $1000 and he would need to be unconscious for the procedure. Any idea how much this procedure typically costs? $1000 for a cat dental cleaning sounds high. Are there any anti-tartar products that I can give my cat that would remove the tartar build-up? I would brush his teeth if I could, but he won't let me.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Once the tarter builds up you need to have it scaled off. You can chip it off but the problem with cats is what you don’t see. Meaning that the majority of the issues are under the gum line. That is why dental radiography is so important.

Where I work it’s allot more.
Ask about what anesthetic they use, if the cat stays overnight and what kind of monitoring of anesthesia is done. Also who does the dental.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All you can do is call around and ask the price at different dental offices. I think it all depends on what area you live in. Around here, it's probably around $700 for the dental itself, then add-on's for any teeth that need filling, any prescriptions like antibiotics if needed, etc. But they are pricey for a reason. Yes, they need to put the cat's under anesthesia because they take xrays of their mouths, scape below the gum line, etc. Beware of anyone who tells you they can clean their teeth for a lot less. Those people mainly will just brush them for you and the tartar will still be there :frown:, so ask them exactly what they do.