Dental Issues

dorymb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello. I am pretty sure my elderly cat is having dental problems. I made an appoitment with the vet dentist, but that is a few days off. If I go to my regular vet, is there anything they would or could give her for pain so she can eat?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's a fine line because pain meds may take her appetite away. I wonder if you can use Orajel on pets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorymb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet gave her antibiotic injection, appetite stimulant (mirtazapine) and put her on prednisolone. Said yes she has dental disease, but doesn't think that's her problem. He did say pain meds would make her woozy and I know they decrease appetite so I declined. Said steroid would act as anti inflammatory and relieve pain. She ate a little today, and gobbled up her treats. Thanks for responding, I appreciate it.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
The pred is usually an appetite stimulant as well as an anti-inflammatory.
Did the vet say what he thought "her problem" was, if not the periodontal? If left untreated, periodontal disease can cause many other issues, not the least of which is blood infection which would cause heart problems. It's kinda a domino effect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorymb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, he believes she has cancer because of ultrasound results, but I reject that. Results were very inconclusive. She is doing well on the reduced pred. dose of 2.5mg a day.