Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dental Liquid

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lunariris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it uncommon for cats over age 10 to have issues with their teeth or have teeth that need to be removed? I've heard that around 80% of all cats have some form of gingivitis by age 5, and that you should brush your cat's teeth. Yet this is a new concept and wasn't even an option a decade ago, and people still had cats live 15-20 years and didn't lose all their teeth. I personally know a lot of people with cats, and don't know anyone who's ever brushed their teeth. We've tried dental treats such as feline greenies and CET, some dental catnip toys with netting to chew on, as well as dental sticks (that no one seems to eat, except for 1 cat) and bought pet toothbrushes and toothpaste, and no one has yet to accept getting their teeth brushed. 

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought tuna-flavored toothpaste but neither of my cats would let me scrub their teeth with it. I wonder if brushing their teeth really does any good because my vet suggested that I only brush the fronts of their teeth. If the purpose is to prevent gingivitis, the backs of their teeth would be equally important, don't you think? She also said that, like humans, some cats have good teeth and some cats have bad teeth. I've reaad on other forums that giving them pieces of raw meat with the skin is a good way to clean their teeth because the act of chewing through the meat brushes their teeth.

So I'm waiting for the genius to invite a cat tooth brush that they'll rub against voluntarily (cats love to rub their faces on everything - it should be a simple thing to invent) and save my hands for important work, like posting to this forum :-)

Best regards,

PHarber-Murphy

More Than 9 2 5 Virtual Assistance

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recently started brushing my cat's teeth, She didn't like it at first, but I persisted. She really wasn't enoying it so I switched toothpastes and brushes. I now use CET Toothpaste and the softer tiny brush that comes with it. Nora still doesn't love it, but she tolerates it. I try to do it every other night. I definitely have noticed a difference in her teeth since I started brushing (a month ago)!