Dental Cleaning

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok...My boy is 11yrs n NO hes NEVER had a dental cleaning...But I want to get him a dental cleaning done soon...Every VET visit in the PAST...the VET said his teeth n gums look good...But I know cats are good at hiding pain...So I want to get him a cleaning done...What exactly will happen when they start...n how can it affect my boy being hes NEVER had a cleaning...Besides being good health wise..Any advice..tips..Appreciated

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't get it done if your vet is telling you that it's unnecessary. Putting a cat under anaesthesia is never something to take lightly, especially when they are older.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just had Ailish done. She is 4 years old and her teeth were black. Apparently, cats vary widely in their need for dental cleaning. I would agree that if the vet doesn't recommend it, don't do.
My experience - they gave me an upfront itemization of how much it would cost. They gave me a gabapentin pill to give her two hours before I came in, which I did. It was a capsule and I opened it and gave it to her with a tiny bit of food, which she ate no problem. No eating within 12 hours of taking her in. She had been spayed so I knew she had had successful general anesthesia before, but I was still worried. She came through with no problem. The vet called me and told me how things went and answered questions. Took a little longer to come around than originally planned - they don't like them to go home until they can walk. Sort of. Got her home and opened the carrier and she staggered over to her food dish. I gave her a tiny bit in case she was going to barf it, but she didn't. I then gave her small amounts a couple times with no problem. Her eyes were soooo crossed and she was woozy for awhile but by 11:30 that night, I brought her home at 5pm, she was back to normal. She pooped and peed that night, so all was well. I put a litter box in the room in case she couldn't find the usual spot while still not up to par and she did use it. Of course, she is young, so an older cat might take a little longer. Generally not a bad experience. Thankfully, since I will have to do this at least twice more if she lives a good long healthy life.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats have genetically great teeth. If Snowball's vet says his teeth look good and that he doesn't need one, I wouldn't put him through the stress of anesthesia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't get it done if your vet is telling you that it's unnecessary. Putting a cat under anaesthesia is never something to take lightly, especially when they are older.
I had noticed since hes gotten older that his breath is a big rough at times..Ive heard that can be dental problems or a sign if other problems...Or even heard some foods cause it...I feed him wet in the morning...wet mid afternoon...n a little bit if dry to pull him through the night to nibble on...Not ALOT...