Dental Cleaning & Vaccination on same day? Please Advise

spilledmilk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

I recently made my cat an appointment for dental cleaning due to swollen gums and tartar build up. The vet suggested for him to take his vaccination for rabbies and flv on the same day. I usually trust my vet but just am not sure as to whether it's a good idea to get him to do so much in one day...? the vaccination, the pre-op blood work, the anesthesia and the dental cleaning...

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand your anxiety. The vets around here won't even see an animal unless their rabies is up to date (meaning they will do that first on any office visit).

I had a cat (for 18+ years) who would get sick from vaccinations (vomiting). So she had to have a steroid shot right before them after that happened (and it never happened again). So I know that vaccinations can be hard on the systems of some cats.

I'm so anxious about anesthesia, that I don't think I would have my cat vaccinated on the same day as a dental. But, I also do trust my vet, and listen to him, and he listens to my concerns, too.

Can you take your cat in for the vaccinations beforehand?

Robin

kittymom4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always do mine on a separate day. But then again I won't give mine shots on the same day either
I'm just super cautious about things like that. It's an overload on their immune system and is an increased risk, so I always separate shots out when they need them -at least 2 weeks. My vet never charges me for a visit if it's a shot they need from a previous appointment, she understands why I do it.

In any case, I would assume your blood work would be cheaper if done at a lab and not in house as well so I might try to do that before hand. At least ask if it's cheaper. I know at my vet it's a difference of a good $50 or a bit more.

I have dental work done on somebody every year - we rotate through the crew! It works out to be every 3-4 years and each one has their teeth cleaned. Good for you for having it done - so many don't and it's very important.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spilledmilk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advices! I don't know why I didn't think of taking him to the vet beforehand anyway whatever the vet may had suggested if I was so concerned. I did and was happy to find that he showed no adverse reaction to the vaccines. He had also just came back from the dental cleaning today with four teeth extracted and with me finally quit worrying about anesthesia. I haven't discuss a plan with the vet but dental cleaning will probably become a routine for him. I'm hoping everyday brushing will help to stretch out the interval between each cleaning...waking up from anesthesia looks like such pain.