Dental cleaning for 13 year old male cat

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat just had his annual vet visit and they advised us to schedule a teeth cleaning for him before the end of the year since he’s developing some gingivitis. My biggest concern with that is that he has to have a catheter put in. He already has a history of a Urinary Tract Disease and I’m just very concerned with the healing process from that. Does anyone else have experience with a dental cleaning for your male cat? What was the healing process like? Is the catheter avoidable or necessary for the process?

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They probably mean an iv catheter. To give fluids during the dental. There's no reason to put a urinary catheter in for a dental.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They probably mean an iv catheter. To give fluids during the dental. There's no reason to put a urinary catheter in for a dental.
oh wow I didn’t know the difference between the two. Thank you for this. Phew!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree. No urinary catheter need for dental. The catheter is probably for the anesthetic. That is unless your cat will hold still for them to clean his teeth!
j
He absolutely needs the anesthetic. Just so happy to know that there’s not gonna be any messing with his urethra for this 😆. Thank you!