Dental care for a ~17 yo cat – no teeth cleaning/no teeth brushing ever, and not possible now

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Is there no way to give her things like giblets/gizzards, or whatever, without them being raw? Boiling them? I am not going to try to feed her raw at her age. I have heard it can initially cause digestive distress until a cat's body gets used to raw - given her H-T/CKD status, I don't need to take the chance of creating additional issues for her.
I’d bake them and then cut them into pieces with sharp scissors.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify, absolutely under no circumstances boil or bake bones to feed. These must be fed raw or not at all.

As for digestive upset, in my experience and research I've found out of all the meal options you can offer a cat raw is generally the easiest to digest, but I suppose its the same as introducing anything new, the transition should be taken slowly 🤷‍♀️

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just to clarify, absolutely under no circumstances boil or bake bones to feed. These must be fed raw or not at all.
Are gizzards considered bones? If not, then, I would have to guess - as others have suggested - baking them is appropriate. Please clarify your response. No offense, but I have been very confused by your comments, coming from a person who has no knowledge in this entire 'arena'.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizzards are purely muscle meat. Chicken necks are another common suggestion for cleaning teeth, and they should definitely not be cooked for kitty consumption, so that may be why they mentioned it.

For cooking, I’d suggest boiling over baking, from personal experience. My mum cooked gizzards a lot when I was a kid, and they were always chewier boiled, but ymmv.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are gizzards considered bones? If not, then, I would have to guess - as others have suggested - baking them is appropriate. Please clarify your response. No offense, but I have been very confused by your comments, coming from a person who has no knowledge in this entire 'arena'.
No, gizzards are a muscle meat and therefore contain no bones. I apologize for any confusion, I automatically assumed you knew what gizzards are, as in my area they are a common item sold for consumption in local grocery stores.

I merely mentioned cooked bones are not appropriate as both bones and gizzards were being discussed as an option to clean your cat's teeth, and seeing as others are suggesting to cook the gizzards I wanted to make sure no one thought this applied to the bones as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, gizzards are a muscle meat and therefore contain no bones. I apologize for any confusion, I automatically assumed you knew what gizzards are, as in my area they are a common item sold for consumption in local grocery stores.I merely mentioned cooked bones are not appropriate as both bones and gizzards were being discussed as an option to clean your cat's teeth, and seeing as others are suggesting to cook the gizzards I wanted to make sure no one thought this applied to the bones as well.
Thanks for clarifying! I will be lucky to get her to eat gizzards, much less chomp on bones!! ;)