Deleting account

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, if I want to delete my account how could I do that? Would my posts/comments still be available? Would my user show up on my posts/comments?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Hello!

We don’t actually delete accounts as deleting posts would mess up the flow of threads. We normally suggest that you turn off all of your notifications and just stop logging in. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!

We don’t actually delete accounts as deleting posts would mess up the flow of threads. We normally suggest that you turn off all of your notifications and just stop logging in. :)
So there would be no option for deleting this account? I want to create another account for this site but do want this account to be deleted. Would getting banned be an option? 😅

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
So there would be no option for deleting this account? I want to create another account for this site but do want this account to be deleted. Would getting banned be an option? 😅
If you are banned it's permanent. You will not be allowed to come back with a different account.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
When you signed up you agreed to the forum rules, and the first of those is One account per person please.
The account you have now is your one account.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a particular reason why you want it deleted? They only block accounts if you break the rules. I'm not suggesting you do this though.

There's really no reason to delete accounts because as they said above it causes technical issues with the website.

If there's a particular thread you don't want on here anymore they can just lock the thread or possibly delete it though.

And yes don't create multiple accounts, part of why this isn't allowed aside from malicious reasons is technical since it disrupts the flow of threads and takes up space on the server.

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you signed up you agreed to the forum rules, and the first of those is One account per person please.
The account you have now is your one account.
I see, I assumed it would be one account at a time as in no alt accounts.

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a particular reason why you want it deleted? They only block accounts if you break the rules. I'm not suggesting you do this though.

There's really no reason to delete accounts because as they said above it causes technical issues with the website.

If there's a particular thread you don't want on here anymore they can just lock the thread or possibly delete it though.

And yes don't create multiple accounts, part of why this isn't allowed aside from malicious reasons is technical since it disrupts the flow of threads and takes up space on the server.
I never thought it would cause issues with the website I havent heard of that before, its usually an option thats available on other websites. Theres a reason to make me want to delete the account but I dont have a particular thread I want deleted.
I dont mean multiple accounts at the same time

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I never thought it would cause issues with the website I havent heard of that before, its usually an option thats available on other websites. Theres a reason to make me want to delete the account but I dont have a particular thread I want deleted.
I dont mean multiple accounts at the same time
It depends on the website. A lot of forums don't allow it. People post here and get good answers from members who have taken the time, energy and expertise to respond. It's unfair to remove their posts, and they are often useful to other members.
As for not being comfortable with your current account, as kms kms says, you need to contact a moderator. Either flag your post, or PM one of us with the reason why you need this done, and we'll look into it. This isn't the best place to sort it out.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
People post here and get good answers from members who have taken the time, energy and expertise to respond. It's unfair to remove their posts, and they are often useful to other members.
This is so true. :agree: If a member starts a thread about a particular problem that I've had personal experience with I always try to show my support by offering advice or encouraging words. I know for a fact that I've done a search to find posts when my cat is going through a difficult time whether it be health related or something else. Therefore, I would hope my post is not deleted and as mani mani said "useful to other members."

jet460

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to do the same thing. Delete. Sick of moderators moving everything. New topics do not need to be merged just because it's the same poster. Ridiculous.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi J jet460 It’s not because it’s the same poster. It’s because it’s about the same kittens. It helps readers see everything about the same cat and/or kittens easily in the same thread. It’s in the forum rules to only make one thread about the same cat or kittens — it makes it easier for readers to keep up with things.

jet460

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, it just buries new topics under old ones.
So now, the new topic isn't seen because the title of the thread is irrelevant.
I moderate other forums.
We never do this.
It's a bad idea, and frustrates posters and reduces concise replies, because each reply could be about a number of topics.
It wastes my time in creating a new topic, only to have it buried.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I moderate other forums.
We never do this.
It's a bad idea, and frustrates posters and reduces concise replies, because each reply could be about a number of topics.
Its just how this site is run. You can chose to turn off notifications if they bother you in settings. That's about the only thing I can suggest outside of leaving the site if you do not like how it is run.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I moderate other forums.
We never do this.
We amend the title to reflect the new issues.
You may be a moderator on other sites, but those forums may not have the issues specific to TCS. The pregnant cats and kittens forum is the only forum here where we ask that people keep to the same thread when it's about one litter/pregnancy.
After 20+ years of forums, we've learned some things, and one of them is that this works best in that particular forum. :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
J jet460 - I've seen multiple threads on the same cat when a new issue comes up, and those are not generally merged. As mentioned above, the Pregnant Cats & Kittens can be an exception because of the nature of the posts being made.

For example, a cat might be having an issue with a particular type of food and a poster will ask questions about it. Then, that same cat may be placed on a new med and the poster will be asking questions about that. I do not believe those two threads would be merged based on my observation over the years.

Now, a cat that is having digestive issues that involve vomiting, and then another thread is created because that same cat is having stool issues associated with the digestive issues - those two might be merged because they really tie to one another - the cat's digestive issues.

If you see a post that you don't understand why it was merged with another, 'flag' it and ask about it. The moderators are usually very responsive in these cases - and will offer their reasoning. All of us are human, so mistakes will be made, even with the best of intentions. I have seen reversals made to threads/posts when it is deemed that the change was not necessarily the best approach when looked at in more depth.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I moderate other forums. We never do this.
I have been a long time member both here and on another pet forum. The rules differ for each of them so I adjust to their policies. The best analogy I can think of is if you work at a job and then move to another company doing the same job most likely the rules and regulations change. I'm sorry if you feel you're wasting your time but the moderators on TCS work very hard and diligently to follow the established rules.