Bad vaccine reaction

mnm3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On Sept 11 my cat got the distemper vaccine, not sure of the manufacturer, but on the 19th she was limping, unsteady & lethargic. Took her to the vet ER that thought it was a soft tissue injury. By 9/21 she was out of it, barely moving, moan/meow when I picked her up, limp like a rag doll, & not eating or drinking. Off to the vet and she has stayed overnight now for two days, fluids, antibiotics, anti-inflammatory & blood work. The vet felt initially in was infectious, then vet talks about autoimmune diseases, has not mentioned the vaccine once. After a lot a reading & searching I found this site. If my 15 yr old makes it through, no more vaccines. I haven't cried so hard in years. There is something seriously wrong with people & pet healthcare when big pharm dictates care. I hope the vets that are pushing for titer checks win out, but since cash is king in the USA I doubt it. The things I have learned about all these vaccines over the last few days has left me so upset, autoimmune, neurological reactions and cancer.

jstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you and your girl are going through this. I'm the original poster of this thread, and have since been amazed by how often this seems to happen. My Pawnee took a long time to fully recover, and she was not as old as your girl. It was weeks of fluids and steroids, basically, to cool down her system and tamp down the hyper-reaction of her immune system. The fever was what made her so achy and sore - just like we get - and as soon as her temperature dropped, she would start to eat and move around, clearly feeling a lot better. But it was up and down, bad days and good days, for a long time. Some days I'd drop her at the vet's and she would hang out with them for half a day, getting IV fluids, and then come home - that dropped her temp and made her feel a lot better. My vet *immediately* thought of vaccine reaction, so we were lucky. I would ask your vet to tell you exactly what vaccine(s) she used: manufacturer, type, etc. If it was the Felocel 4, it can be reported to the manufacturer. Our beloved Pawnee made it through - though she subsequently developed kidney disease a few years later at 13 and we lost her in February. We miss her very much. Good luck to you - be patient, and hopefully she'll come out the other side. PS - we NEVER vaccinated her again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mnm3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, the culperate --> Purevax fvrcp and per literature this type, not brand causes problems. Since vets & MDs are reluctant to even consider or report adverse events, always do it yourself! Get your records, for pets it is the USDA:

USDA APHIS | Adverse Event Reporting
My vet hesitantly agreed could be vaccine, coming home tomorrow, fever finally down and scripts for home are liquid antibiotic & steroid.
We will see how she does, vet wants her back in for check ups.

Last edited by a moderator: